PDA

View Full Version : Single monitor but multiple CPUs

Peace455
03-16-2003, 03:01 AM
Hello, All

I was using this renderfarm, and it has multiple PCs all linked up to one monitor, keyboard, and mouse. To toggle between the computers a button on keyboard was pushed to switch to the other computers.

How can I get the same setup at home? HOw can I link multiple PCs to one monitor, keyboard, and Mouse? I know I'll need some sort of device software maybe? I don't know how to go about such a process.

Does anyone know how this works and/or how to set it up.

thanks

Peace 455

elvis
03-16-2003, 03:58 AM
sounds like a pretty bog-standard KVM (Keyboard/Video/Mouse) switch setup. check your local retailer or online store for prices on these units.

basically you plug one keyboard, mouse and monitor into the switch, and then every computer into the same switch with special extension cables. cheap models will have a manual selector on the switch unit itself, while some of the better ones will have a more advanced onscreen GUI system that you can select machines with.

the downside is that they aren't that cheap (although definitely cheaper than several high-end monitors, and more convenient for space). plus when you get to more than 8 displays it does get expensive as you have to daisy-chain units together.

if you don't need the interactive speed of a KVM unit (most renderfarm nodes only need access for administration purposes), try a software solution like VNC instead. it's free and only requires network access which all renderfarm nodes have anyway.

http://www.realvnc.com are the original makers of VNC while

http://www.tightvnc.com is one of my favourite versions.

Peace455
03-17-2003, 03:05 AM
Thanks for the help.

I will check out the links and c heck wiht local retailers.

I use VNC also, I love that program. I haven't check out tightvnc... curious as to what that is.

thanks agian.

Peace455

elvis
03-17-2003, 04:58 AM
tightVNC is just VNC with some extra compression utilities (notably on the fly jpeg compression). this is good news if your network is bandwidth hungry, or you are using VNC over a slow network like modem or capped cable/ADSL.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.