PDA

View Full Version : Hdri

koon69
03-16-2003, 03:28 AM
Seems like this is being talked alot lately. I sense that AM cant do this? But if it cant can AM users use this app-

http://www.debevec.org/HDRShop/

Maybe the great talents of Arthur or Marcel can write something so we could use it? I have seen some really great images using this HDRI technique. Really helps with realism. Anyone fake HDRI in AM? Or can a plug in be written for this - hint!!!!!

Finkster
03-16-2003, 10:01 AM
Hi,
your right HDRI is pretty powerful for the whole photoreal thing. Your also right that AM can't do it. You can kind of fake it with skylight 2 by Dan Shimmyo, using a kind of image based lighting. But I don't know if this program is compatible with the latest versions of AM. However this doesn't reproduce the best parts of HDRI lighting - the great range of light intensities, especially when recreating realistic surface reflections (no more fake looking speculars). You could ask nicely for someone to have a go at it, but it would probably mean getting deep inside AM and rewriting the way it renders. You'd be best adding it to your feature list for Hash. Hey, you never know.....

Ciaran Moloney

koon69
03-16-2003, 04:30 PM
How would you fake it with Skylight in AM? Since Skylight isnt working under v10.X any other way in faking it?

Thanks!

Finkster
03-17-2003, 10:31 AM
The way the skylight proggy faked was a real basic hack. An image was mapped to a half sphere, and lights placed on the surface of the sphere. The lights took on the colour of the image at that point and the range of intensities for the lights could be varied - simple image based lighting. It's not HDRI, but a way of faking the method used to light a scene with a real HDRI image.
If the skylight does not work with v10.5, it may only be a matter of a simple change in the file format. I believe there was simply a single value that needed to be added/changed to the lights contained in Yves Poissants great skylights, so that they may work with the new file format - easily changed in a text editor. The program can produce the lights as .mdl files, surely they haven't changed that much. Unfortunately I don't have 10.5, so can't really help with that aspect. Try downloading the demo from dan shimmyo (http://www.shimmyo.com/skylight_download.php) , maybe someone on the list knows what changes need to be made to make an older file format compatible.
Hope that helps!

Ciaran Moloney

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.