PDA

View Full Version : Sports mp3 player

dvornik
03-16-2003, 02:16 AM
I'm about to buy an mp3 player for jogging. I think I'll go with RioSPORT S35S. I know nike has a couple of them too made by different manufacturers. Do you guys have any experience with them or would recommend other models?

Sieb
03-16-2003, 03:23 AM
I love my iPod. Haven't had any probs while working out or running around. You can even get an armband strap you can hook it to. But I would imagine an iPod is a bit much price wise, but well worth it.

GregHess
03-16-2003, 03:25 AM
While were on the subject....

Anyone know of any "WATERPROOF" mp3 players? I've been looking for one for awhile...trying to find something I can wear while swimming. I've seen waterproof walkmans, so I'd assume SOMEBODY somewhere would make a waterproof mp3 player...just haven't seen one.

Gilgamesh
03-16-2003, 10:01 AM
I've seen one, so I know they exist. I just don't remember who makes it.

dmeyer
03-16-2003, 01:43 PM
I second the iPod, mine has never skipped and i beat the crap out of it.

dvornik
03-17-2003, 03:03 AM
ipod is out of the question. Unless you donate to my sick children ipod fund. That rio player comes whith a wrist strap and a belt clip and expandable 128 mb memory and has a radio tuner. And at around $150 it's not too expensive to drop it on concrete and fall on top of it. You would understand if you saw the condition of my old sports walkman.

Oh, and those swimman.net people claim their player also plays mp3s underwater but it looks like shit from the picture. Someone will make one eventually.

kwshipman
03-17-2003, 06:41 AM
Greg, I found a couple first is mentioned earlier, at www.swimman.net but you have to call or email to find out anything about it.

Second is at www.northshore-maui.com/ That one is but ugly.

According to this article (http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/maney/2002-11-12-movie_x.htm) Panasonic sells one (4th paragraph from the bottom) BUt conldnt find anything on their site.

Not much help

robinson
03-17-2003, 07:09 AM
Iím using the Nike /Phillips psa[play, its perfect for jogging !!!
Just 64 mb or 128 mb but I think thatís enough !
:bounce:
http://www.nike-philips.com/

CgFX
03-17-2003, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by GregHess
While were on the subject....

Anyone know of any "WATERPROOF" mp3 players?

Hehehe...

I have been looking for one too. The Nike's look waterproof or resistant but I don't think they are.

I wonder if plastic wrap and a bunch of duct tape would work!? :-)

robinson
03-17-2003, 07:32 AM
The nike one is water resistant !!!

paultheplumber
03-17-2003, 07:43 AM
I wonder if plastic wrap and a bunch of duct tape would work!? :-)How could it not work? Plastic wrap and duct tape work in all situations!

But, as with all duct tape projects- try it out on a friend's mp3 player to work the bugs out first...

GregHess
03-17-2003, 11:25 AM
Thanks kw, dvornik.

Both of the players seem to be pretty expensive. I think what I'll try first is creative use of laminating material, with really really cheap mp3 players. (The kind you can get for 20 bucks from bestbuy/comp usa). Combined with plastic wrap/ducttape...it should work..theoretically.

I just HAVE to have something to listen to while swimming. I'm not supposed to run since I fubared my knee, so I gotta swim like 460,000 laps to get fit.

Saurus
03-18-2003, 07:16 AM
I bought an mpman MP - F60 . It has 256 meg, fm radio and voice recorder. I bought a body glove walkie talkie cover and it fits perfectly. The opening fits the control like it was made for it. I had it for about 10 months and probably dropped it over two dozen times, but it keeps going. I'm a die-hard runner and very active, and this thing keeps up with me. I challenge my fellow worker on a drop test, but they declined to throw their ipods. I wouldn't blame them, I think those things can take shaking, but not repetitive drops!!

Saurus

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.