PDA

View Full Version : crap looking waters edge

Mafx
05-23-2007, 05:51 AM
Hey all,

The image below is something I am putting together as a pitch for larger work. The problem is the edge of the water on the beach looks horrible.. very fake.

I am not sure of the best way in Vue 6 to make the waters edge look like it actually does in the situation potrayed in the image.

The image is not complete so don't worry about picking the other flaws in it to pieces :) I just need to concentrate on the waters edge.

Thanks.

S.

IvanB
05-24-2007, 09:03 AM
Hi Steven,

Its kind of hard to see exactly what you have done...Do you have a foamy shoreline?..Did you make that part of the sand thats getting wet, look wet etc?..Maybe a bump on the edge could make it look more relistic.

Heres some videos, that show how to make a foamy shoreline, made with vue 5, but its pretty much the same using vue 6.

http://www.esnips.com/web/FoamyShorelineTute

Hope it helps.

Ivan.

oceanmovieclip
05-24-2007, 12:26 PM
How long did that take you?

And for creating a water scene in VUe 5, a beach scene. How much RAM would you need to do that? For a good look, something similar to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q2XQaJ67Zw

Mafx
05-24-2007, 10:03 PM
Hey Ivon,

Yeh I have used your technique actually for different edging around landscapes not so much for foam but in this case that will not work. As the image is in black and white basically I need the viewer to see the break in the water. I had a black and white reference shot I was given and you could see the edge of the water was 'different' where it just interacted with the sand. At the moment it just looks like how I have done it, a terain it sticking up through a water plane.. not how it should look in real life. I am away from my main machine so I can't post the ref image to visualise to you what I am trying to say.

BernieStafford
05-25-2007, 08:28 AM
Here's a link to something that may help you:

http://www.3dcommune.com/3d/freeview.mv?Vue_Free_Stuff+3XHN0HkEA+1139417537

It was put together for V5 Infinite, but as far as I know it works OK in 6 Infinite also.

Regards,

Bernie

oceanmovieclip
05-25-2007, 08:46 AM
As for my question? Anyone:shrug:

mwalter1
05-25-2007, 01:37 PM
3dmodeler,

Download the scene from 3dcommune. As far as how long - as quick as applying a material. Now, if you want to follow the video tutorial and do it yourself - still not long. The function generator is a bit hard to understand at first - that's why Moonson made the island available for download. You can examine how the materials are put together and then modify them for your own use.

Memory - you can get away with 1GB, but 2GB is better. If you have a 64 bit system, then load it up with as much RAM as your system will hold. More is better!

IvanB
05-25-2007, 04:51 PM
Hi Steve,

I just want to say, your example doesnt look that bad, the thing I think thats not quite right is that the sand isn't wet in areas..not sure..ref image would be good.

3dmodeler,

The example you posted can be done very easily, its just a matter of creating a terrain with the ocean function and rendering, ram is good, but I think the size of your processor is more important for quicker render times especially if your water texture has reflections etc.

oceanmovieclip
05-25-2007, 11:31 PM
I'm not actually interested in creating an ocean, I've already done that using blender. Before I type anything more, I'm not a 3D artist, or artist, just someone who took a small interest in animation like creating water which I did. Last year. What I'd like to create is a beach scene, with two palm trees and realistic water moving a long the sand towards the camera and then back into the ocean, with foam, etc And Vue 5 came a long, I don't have it...So the trial would have to do, I know you can't save anything, and it's limited to five seconds of animation as well small resolution.

As for that realism I wanted, as seen in the youtube ocean clip. I know Vue can produce that, as for RAM I have only 512MB.

IvanB
05-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Oops wrong thread. sorry.http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon11.gif

Patrick210
05-30-2007, 01:18 PM
I don't know if Vue has a community of plugin writers or not. I worked with Eric at DCG to help develop a plugin for Carrara to solve this problem. It's basically a material that detects the intersection of a terrain and a water plane and lets you use that info to drive different channels which can falloff from the shoreline with various parameters and controls. The plugin also has adapted this same strategy for other situations besides water's edge, but that was the initial impetus. Maybe you guys can have someone write this type of thing for Vue.

http://digitalcarversguild.com/plugin.php?ProductId=19&BannerId=14

CGTalk Moderation
05-30-2007, 01:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.