PDA

View Full Version : Well, my VERY first models!!! Have a look ;)

JonasNoell
03-16-2003, 01:46 AM
Hello all!

These are my VERY first models, just trying to begin with something simple such as treetrunks.
I spent most of the time with texturing (which I already do for some time) and UV mapping (ouch this is kinda difficult)...

Software: 3d Studio Max 4.2
Polycount Treetrunks: 60
Polycount Tree: 140

http://www.josh.ch/phpmydesktop1/_users/cANt/Trees.jpg

Hope I'll get some comments, even if trees might be a bit too boring for you :beer:

cANt

Temporal
03-16-2003, 02:07 AM
As I expected, the textures are great (very like the real :thumbsup:), but the model itself is somewhat . . . simplistic?
It's a good start nonetheless, though it did throw me since this is a tree.

Crit: The branch for the tree doesn't look like a part of the object but instead something slapped onto the side.
You can fix this by making sure both the branch and trunk have the same smoothing group.

JonasNoell
03-16-2003, 03:16 AM
Hey temporal, mate, thanks for your comment, really appreciate this ;) I already guessed some simple objects are too boring to get even looked at :p

Yeah, right, the models are very simplistic. It's that I got involved in a game and I was ordered to keep the polycount as little as possible.

Thanks for your critics I will try to improve ;) As said these are my very first models, and I'm quite proud so far :beer:
Reload the pic above, I have added a barrel, too...

Thanks for attention
cANt

TheKronic
03-16-2003, 03:32 AM
IMHO The texture is top notch, maybe add a few more poly's to the models tho?

bugo
03-16-2003, 04:48 AM
cANT: really nice, you really have great textures in there, is it for a RPG game?

JonasNoell
03-16-2003, 10:21 AM
Hehe thanks for all those nice comments, really cool ;)

TheKronic: Thx ;) Its that I have restrictions to keep the polycount as little as possible, because later expectingly a huge amount of stuff will be shown an the screen, that's why I try to keep the polycount as little as possible and the textures as good as possible to make the objects look more realistic!
bugo: Yeah, it's for kind of Singleplayer RPG. We are currently developing the engine and coming aloing quite good so far :thumbsup: ...

cANt

ceql
03-16-2003, 10:48 AM
Hiyas CANT... I just had to drop by and chime in and say pretty much what ever1 else has already said; great textures ;)

ahh Reminds me of NWN... but better ;)

JonasNoell
03-16-2003, 10:53 AM
:wavey: ceql

Thx man, but what exactly is NWN? :shrug:

ceql
03-16-2003, 10:56 AM
NWN = NeverWinter Nights! :bounce:

Edit: (hehe sowwies, I have this tendency to use vague accronyms all the time)

JonasNoell
03-16-2003, 11:18 AM
NO, I guess you ARE right :D
Just kiddin'

cANt

Sorceror Bob
03-16-2003, 02:18 PM
cANt - congrats on completing your first models, they're basic, but very good for learning on, also of a much higher quality than my first models .

Heres another technique you could use to model trees. Yours is cool, and I dont think I'd change it, but this is a fun tool to learn.

Basically, you build a number of splines, create some spline shapes (ngon works best) then loft, use the spline as the path, and the ngon as a shape.

http://www.boomspeed.com/sorcerorbob/horn.jpg

Heres a small tutorial, basically shows how the technique works, and another thing it can be used for (a horn)

Few pointers when using this technique, for creating a tree.

- Keep your main elements seperate - eg splines for say, the trunk, and two branches should be seperate objects, otherwise the loft wont work. You'll need to do a bit of cleanup afterwards to keep the mesh contiguous.

- When creating the spline, work in the orthographic views (front, left, right or back), then move the verts around to create bends where necessary. Laying verts down in user or perspective viewports can be a night mare.

- When placing branches on the tree trunk, use vertex snap (hotkey "s" - make sure its set to snap to verts by right clicking the button) to create a spline from one of the verts on the tree trunk.

- ignore the part in the tutorial about scaling to create a taper - once your loft is set, go into the modifier panel, down the bottom theres a tab (name escapes me) which has options like scale, twist etc, max does all that for you.

I hope this is useful for you somewhere down the track. Good luck with the modelling.

JonasNoell
03-16-2003, 05:15 PM
Sorceror Bob: Thanks a LOT for this very cool tutorial, I will shurely check it to learn all those wonderfull new technics Max offers to us. I really honor this, thanks again :beer:

cANt

JonasNoell
03-19-2003, 08:26 PM
http://www.josh.ch/phpmydesktop1/_users/cANt/Objects.jpg

Little update ;)
Just added some more models, and already worked out a ground texture. C&C always appreciated ;)

cANt

Prs-Phil
03-19-2003, 09:36 PM
hi Cant

Kannst dich noch an mich erinnern ? :D

Like a few said before ... simple but effectiv for the beginning you make the best out of the textures and thats good.

Mach weiter so.

Temporal
03-19-2003, 11:10 PM
Impressive so far. There isn't really anything to crit, just nitpick, and those won't really help you right now.

Will you be adding a backdrop to this scene?

Mangled Poly
03-20-2003, 08:32 AM
good texture work cant :):buttrock:

mage111
03-20-2003, 10:38 AM
everythings been said, awesome texture on such a simple model, it really does look good man, its the texture, it did it all for me

i love drawing trees actaully. i should model one sometime, and get you to texture it :P

you got a real gift with the texturing man, Greatwork

JonasNoell
03-20-2003, 04:47 PM
Prs-Phil: Äh, nein? Unter nem andren Nick vielleicht ;) Thx for your very nice comments: The texutre is actually on what I am focused.
Temporal: Well this is only a short scene I rendered to see the models together. In reality it's the game we are currently working on, so this is only a short scene to show the ground texture and the first models. I'm not planning to make a real photorealistic render out of this scene ;)
Mangled Poly: Thx :thumbsup:
mage111: Hehe well let's see, if you are able to model some cool looking lowpoly trees I would be happy to skin it, because I enjoy texturing more, than modelling so far ;)

Thanks for all the great replies
cANt

Prs-Phil
03-20-2003, 08:01 PM
hmmm Bloodbladez ... errinnerst dich noch :D ? War schon lange her.

We can all see that you enjoy texturing :)

JonasNoell
03-20-2003, 09:34 PM
Shure! Nice to meet you here again Prs-Phil :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.