PDA

View Full Version : Texture Projection in Mental Ray

Elessar
05-22-2007, 10:42 PM
Hi, I'm spending some time making my way into the Mental Ray world and I have to struggle with some black holes that the switch from Renderman and Maya software inevitably creates.
The issue i'd like to solve is how to project 2d texture files (tiffs for example) onto geometry just like the projection node of maya does.

I would like to use a native Mental Ray node because, first of all, as far as I know keeps the workflow fast and light. (Is that true anyway?)
The second reason is that I cannot manage to render a bump in a mental ray shader starting from maya's projection node. How should I connect it to the shader? I'm currently using a mia_material.

Thanks, Luca

living3d
05-22-2007, 11:18 PM
There are several ways to create bump with mia...The easiest is to connect file->bump2d->miss_set_normal and drop it into a bump slot. Also, you can use new mia_roundcorners shader together with bump. This will add bevels to your geometry (without changing of poly count) and thus make your geometry to look much realistic.

CGTalk Moderation
05-22-2007, 11:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.