PDA

View Full Version : PT Kroozer/OddRodd inspired

illustr8rX
04-04-2002, 01:36 AM
I had someone ask me to draw his PT Cruiser in a take on Ed 'big Daddy' Roth's style; something which I haven't tried since I was a kid in the sixties-yes the 1960's. I can't touch what Roth could dream up, but I kind of like it. Everything is in layers, so I can change most of it if needed.
Most of you younger guys probably don't know who Ed Roth or any of the Kar Kulture guys were, but their stuff was 'warped' in more ways than one...
Please let me know what you guys think-comments and critiques are needed.
Thanks, don
http://www.donperkins.com/images/ptkruzer.jpg
-in case I can't post from my server -here's the url:
PTCruiser/oddrodd (http://www.donperkins.com/ptkruizer.htm)

illustr8rX
04-04-2002, 04:54 AM
the silent treatment eh? it's s'posed to look cartoony but damn, is it that bad? wow, ok I can try to redo it. What should I change? thanks, don

Pikmin
04-04-2002, 05:37 AM
Come on, this is so awesome. Is this a drawing or cg? Really , its kick some BIG ass. Really , ( i mean really really) this is excellent.

illustr8rX
04-04-2002, 05:54 AM
Pikmin,
thanks very much, glad you like it. It's all painted in photoshop. i did a sketch of a ptcruiser in pencil for the general position of the car-of course that changed as i started drawing in photoshop. Also, I went to the chrysler site and downloaded a couple of images for placement of parts- I know NOTHING about cars!
I changed the perspective about a dozen times...some more warped, some more normal... it all sucked. Finally I gave up and quit. a couple of days later I drew a sketch in photoshop-over top of the earlier mess-which looked almost exactly like this one. It all came together pretty quickly after that, idea incubation always seems to help me. I guess it's done, but I don't know. Again, thanks for the kind comments, don

Taoizm
04-04-2002, 06:21 AM
If PT Cruisers actually looked like that I'd consider buying one. :D Retro classy. The black bumper in the front is throwing me a bit for a loop though. Seems a tad heavy.

illustr8rX
04-04-2002, 08:04 AM
Taoizm:
thanks for the crit, yeah I think so too. I was going for that semi-fisheye look, really distorting the angle/size...but I think you're right. I'll make it smaller.
thanks again, don

dave_baer
04-04-2002, 12:11 PM
Ed 'big Daddy' Roth? C'mon... How can you call yourself an artist without knowing the original HOT RODDER Cartoonist?! The creator of "Rat Fink". =)

Sangotten
04-04-2002, 12:54 PM
Nice work!

Hmmm...one thing I don't know but did they such big wheels at the back in the old days???

Looking really cool!

illustr8rX
04-04-2002, 04:33 PM
dave: sorry, I apologize for assuming. actually i thought a lot of people would know who he was, but that type of art isn't sci-fi or 3d oriented, so I wasn't sure if the 'youngsters' would remember right away...I guess the folks here are more well rounded than I'd hoped:)

sangotten: I don't think they use wheels quite that large even today...;)
but if you look at some of the old OddRodds or other Hot Rod 'toons' you'll
see lots of exagerrated proportions like that. thanks for the nice comments, I appreciate it very much

dave_baer
04-04-2002, 10:27 PM
Well, anybody who's ever read MAD Magazine should know who Rat Fink is. BTW... I'm not quite the youngster. Came into this freak of a place called the world about a good 33 years ago. Since then, I've just been getting older and older. Funny how life is, eh? :D

BTW: I totally forgot to comment on your image there. Very nice! Especially because you rendered WHITE so well. White has to be one of the hardest colors to render by hand... convincingly. Very nice job. :D :D

DigitalSkorpyon
04-04-2002, 10:40 PM
You do excellent work. I actually have a question for you... How do you get your images to be displayed so large. I saved your pic to my harddrive and saw that it's 90k+. When I'm posting, if I go larger than 50k it says it's too large.. What am I doing wrong?

dave_baer
04-04-2002, 10:58 PM
R u posting the image here or r u trying to get your personal photo in under your name? If thats the case, it has a 50k limit (i think) like most forums do. If you are trying to post here, simple use the BB CODE tags to link to the photo...

[I M G]http:// place of your image here[/ I M G]

Of course, do not use spaces in the IMG part. I had to do that so it would post. :D

DigitalSkorpyon
04-04-2002, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the info.. I wasn't really sure how to go about it. Good job again on the cruiser. I'm planning on buying one of those (probably with smaller tires) in the not so distant future. Thanks again.. :rolleyes:

illustr8rX
04-04-2002, 11:34 PM
dave: thanks for the comment, yeah white is difficult, and painting something to look yellow with shadows is interesting too.:)
hey, 33 isn't old yet but it's about the time my knees and back started aching in the morning for no apparent reason...yep, aging is almost a daily occurance.

DigitalSkorpyon: thanks for the kind words, glad you like it. Go on, get the big rear tires, chicks dig 'em;)

illustr8rX
04-05-2002, 04:44 AM
sorry for the delay in changeing the bumper guys, I also fixed the motor a bit and added some shadow. Thanks for viewing! Anything else I should do?
-donhttp://www.donperkins.com/images/ptkruzer2.jpg

Taoizm
04-05-2002, 05:10 AM
all you need now is a creature coming out of the roof with a giant eight ball knob shifter in one hand, bug eyes, and a long tongue that's being swept back by the wind. :D

jaulix
04-05-2002, 05:16 AM
Hey Don,

Great work man! I particularly like the chrome. Metal and capturing the reflective nature of the material is something I have been struggling with. Keep them coming!

illustr8rX
04-05-2002, 06:41 AM
Taoizm: I would've put that in, unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of myself:D I'd really like to do one of those things either Ratfink or one of those monster/things -I can't remember what they were called...

Joel! Hey, I didn't know you hung out here. I'm proud you like my work, thanks! I looked at your updates on your site the other day, very cool!
here's a detail of the engine to let you see how it looks up close. It's about 90% of actual size. As you can see it was done free hand, as opposed to the edge of the windshield which had a path selection to mask my painting -I thought the loose look would translate well for the vibration engines have when 'torquing out'. oh well it was a thought... Glad to see you here, keep in touch, don
http://www.donperkins.com/images/enginedetail.jpg

illustr8rX
04-05-2002, 09:38 PM
Joel: for metals, I guess practice and observation, that'll let you get more comfortable with the idea. Very reflective metals have a sharp transition between different colors, different values, with very little gradation unless you're indicating a reflection of a gradient in its' environment; this is opposed to soft surfaces like skin, which diffuse the light more, giving a softer/slower transition-If that makes any sense...Just look at the environment you've created, think of it surrounding the solid metal object you're painting now, and imagine where the reflections would fall. It's just practice and spatial thinking. I really don't know how else to explain it, I just do it-unfortunately I'm not a good teacher. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful...

Psychic: Thanks very much. Glad you like it. I have always wanted to draw unrealistic/unbelievable things in a realistic way, I guess i figured it out! Thanks again!
Thanks guys I really appreciate the comments-don

DigitalSkorpyon
04-05-2002, 10:11 PM
That bumber made a huge difference! I went and checked out your website.. You do really good work. Is illustration your primary area or are you a man of all mediums?

illustr8rX
04-06-2002, 07:02 AM
thanks DigitalSkorpyon, yes that helped a lot, it was a good suggestion by Taoizm. About my work, thanks, and yes I am primarily an illustrator, but I do some design for print and web too, and of course I'm looking for work as usual-don :rolleyes:

Cgkoko
04-06-2002, 09:37 PM
I have to say your work is very good!

illustr8rX
04-07-2002, 08:03 AM
thanks Cgkoko, I appreciate it very much!

well, I guess that about does it for the car, it's been up for 3 days and no more suggestions, so I feel pretty good about showing it to my friend/client now.
I'd like to thank everyone for taking a look at my work and helping me out; I guess I owe you guys some beer! ;) -don

Frinsklen
04-08-2002, 04:19 PM
That engine looks very nice. I like the metal effect.

What's the resolution of the original file?

illustr8rX
04-08-2002, 04:51 PM
Frinsklen: Thanks very much! The entire piece is about 18 in.x15 in. @300dpi, so with lots of layers, it's a pretty big file:) Thanks again, don

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.