PDA

View Full Version : Mental Ray Glass overlap issue

alkhobarspecial
05-22-2007, 05:43 PM
Has anyone else encountered a problem with multiple layers of glass overlapping in the view causing certain shaders that you see beyond the glass to not calculate correctly?

for example in this image there are 3 panes of glass in front of the car and the car paint shader seems to stop working because of it. I am also getting the dark area going down the escalator.

I highlighted the paint area with the red box

any ideas?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/alkhobarspecial/carmat.jpg

plug3
05-22-2007, 06:38 PM
Try increasing the reflection and refraction depth in the raytrace options.

egmehl
05-22-2007, 06:49 PM
If you are only using single polys to represent the glass surface, you can try shelling them (or similar) to be sure you have a front and back side to the surface. Sometimes this helps with reflections.

Alternatively, try using the new A&D shader which I think has a switch for using glass represented by a single plane.

alkhobarspecial
05-22-2007, 07:12 PM
thanks d1 I will do a test with that when I get a chance.

egmehl - the glass is solid geometry and it has arch and design solid glass on it. my guess is it has to do with what d1 says.

thanks again guys for the quick response. when I get a second to test the settings I will post up my results

alkhobarspecial
05-22-2007, 10:27 PM
ya d1 that was it thanks! did the trick.

CGTalk Moderation
05-22-2007, 10:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.