PDA

View Full Version : mr mem limit command line option

Fathom
05-22-2007, 07:37 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to set the mr heap size limit. I see that it's been moved in 8.5. Where in the gui can I find this option and what is the command line option to over-ride this setting in a cmd?

Diabolos
05-22-2007, 09:51 AM
You must set the memory limit manually by turning off the Render Settings -> Batch Render -> Options -> Memory -> Auto Memory Limit. Then you can specify the memory limit manually. If you are rendering under Windows XP 64bit there is another issue with automatic memory which maxes out at the limit of the 32 bit version of the OS.

- or -

Either on the render Options or (when you use the commandline renderer with Render -r mr) by doing this:

add this line to the mrRenderer.xml file in the Maya8.5/bin/rendererDesc/ directory (C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya8.5\bin\rendererDesc on Windows)

<attr n="jl" ln="jobLimitPhysicalMemory" s="mentalrayGlobals.jobLimitPhysicalMemory" t="int" h="Set the job Limit PhysicalMemory"/>

Now you can specify the limit in the commandline:

for example

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya8.5\bin\Render.exe" -r mr -v 5 -jl 4000 "C:\Shared\maya\projects\myProject\scenes\myScene.mb"

D,

Fathom
05-22-2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks that was exactly what I was looking for. Isn't it something that should be in as default?

Fathom
05-22-2007, 03:37 PM
Hi Diablos,

One more thing: I see they have added the 'Memory zone limit' slider to the mentalrayGlobals node. Is there a way to set this via command line too?

Diabolos
05-23-2007, 10:13 AM
Hi Fathom,

Sorry I have not gone that deep into it yet, as I have not had to personally change the setting in my cammond line renders. Autodesk was able to help me out on the above question as I had the same question about a month ago <thus the detailed second portion of my above post>.

But I understand how it works now and may have a look for us over the weekend.

D,

Fathom
05-23-2007, 01:22 PM
Thanks Diablos check this link, the post at the bottom of the page. I'm not sure if memoryZone would apply once the maya gui is closed. Perhaps it only has relevance if one is rendering from within Maya ie single frame.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=87&t=353827&page=2&pp=15

Btw the attribute he tells how to add has since been added as default in maya 8.5. It's in the mentalrayGlobals node under extraAttributes and is a percentage over and above the max mr heap size specified in memory limit (I assume)

Diabolos
05-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Yes, but I am really not that sure that it makes THAT much of a difference, without running some benchmark rendering tests to see even if the changed settings really take effect. I am fine with letting Maya use all available memory that I set in the coomand line so I am able to get my render in the end which would not be possible on the default setting. I agree though that they should have left the settings in the render globals more customizable to avoid these issues, but Autodesk explained to me that the Devs wanted it to be more user friendly and to not "clutter" up the new renderGlobals GUI......

I am still curious about this and may have been missing something in the lines of rendering performance, so I am going to have a chat with some maya buddies on saturday and see what they think and maybe run some tests.

D,

Ash-Man
05-23-2007, 02:26 PM
hummI think that is a BUG in Maya, that it dosn't remember the settings after you close it

Diabolos
06-01-2007, 08:46 AM
:D just wanted to get back and say that we did not get around to checking on this - lazy - no really - just busy.

Lets just see what Maya 9.0 can do - which I assume will be launched/released in August with Siggraph.

D,

Fathom
06-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Thanks... lazy bones :thumbsup:

johnnyMac
06-01-2007, 01:38 PM
You must set the memory limit manually by turning off the Render Settings -> Batch Render -> Options -> Memory -> Auto Memory Limit. Then you can specify the memory limit manually. If you are rendering under Windows XP 64bit there is another issue with automatic memory which maxes out at the limit of the 32 bit version of the OS.

- or -

Either on the render Options or (when you use the commandline renderer with Render -r mr) by doing this:

add this line to the mrRenderer.xml file in the Maya8.5/bin/rendererDesc/ directory (C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya8.5\bin\rendererDesc on Windows)

<attr n="jl" ln="jobLimitPhysicalMemory" s="mentalrayGlobals.jobLimitPhysicalMemory" t="int" h="Set the job Limit PhysicalMemory"/>

Now you can specify the limit in the commandline:

for example

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya8.5\bin\Render.exe" -r mr -v 5 -jl 4000 "C:\Shared\maya\projects\myProject\scenes\myScene.mb"

D,

... is this also the line of text i need in order to use mental ray on other computers in my office as render nodes? i have 2 licenses of maya but want to use mental ray to render on the other 3 computer in my office as well and cant figure out how to activate the plugin on thoses systems.

also, one of my computers has a gig of ram and wont be able to render the scene. what should i set -jl to be? i know in maya i can set the tile height and tile width but didn't find anything similar in mental ray. is this the right command?

thanks for your help in advance.

Diabolos
06-04-2007, 02:32 PM
I don't really network render - are you using Mental Ray Satellite (which after months of headaches I finally got to work in command line) or a second party rendering software? I am not sure about linking 2 licenses as I only have 1 unlimited license and i linked my old machines and xbox's (7) togther to get a network render - which in the end I did not see any performance change (other member's mention that Mental Ray satellite does not work or make a difference - I agree).

This line of code needs to be added to your entire batch render script (with all of the ip addresses or names of the other machines) and all of the other flags you need in order to increase/force the memory. To be totally honest, I only thought that network rendering is cpu based and the RAM is cached on the host machine anyway??? Which I am not sure how much RAM your host machine has. If it does make a difference then why not leave this out and use the default 800MB.....

So once again, my information is only limited to rendering on one system and maybe another member who network renders could step in and give a hand or at least some advice.

To answer your last question - tile rendering is for something else. Mental Ray has an output image size cap (can't remember what it is right now), and you need to apply these flags in order to get a larger render. Please visit my other thread, which also contains an example of code to get the command line render started:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=87&t=493020

D,

johnnyMac
06-04-2007, 10:31 PM
D,

i am using maya complete and i network render just by having computers in the office render a different set of frames. no third party renderers either. it just seems that unless i've actually installed the mental ray plugin on the system then i cant render using mental ray from a batch command file.

our computers have 4 gigs of ram and somtimes while i'm working in maya and do a test render mental ray (and sometimes even maya) will only render 2/3 of the image and then just stop in my viewport.

i just checked out your other thread and will have to try breaking the final image down into quadrants when i get out from under the deadline i'm working on now. thanks for replying.

Diabolos
06-05-2007, 08:45 AM
our computers have 4 gigs of ram and somtimes while i'm working in maya and do a test render mental ray (and sometimes even maya) will only render 2/3 of the image and then just stop in my viewport.

you are running out of RAM, but I would suggest that you try command line rendering with maya closed to see if you can render the image using the above code to force all of the RAM out of your machines, before tile rendering.

D,

Fathom
06-11-2007, 07:51 AM
Hey Diablos I'm working on a mac now. you wouldn't happen to know where the mrrenderer.xml file is on a mac no? Is there one?!

Diabolos
06-12-2007, 10:04 AM
i fear macs.......

I am 34 years old and have never touched a mac nor have I ever had a cup of coffee.

D,

tfritzsche
07-16-2007, 04:46 PM
Hey Diablos I'm working on a mac now. you wouldn't happen to know where the mrrenderer.xml file is on a mac no? Is there one?!

if you or anybody else is still looking: /Applications/Autodesk/maya8.5/Maya.app/Contents/bin/rendererDesc/mrRenderer.xml

thomas

CGTalk Moderation
07-16-2007, 04:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.