PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Load Environment File in PASS

MarkInTx
05-22-2007, 03:40 AM
This is weird, because it worked a few days ago, and for the life of me, I can't think of what I've done to make things go awry...

I am following along with the Digital Tutors Introduction to XSI DVD. In the rendering section, they tell you how you can quickly add an environmental file to do lighting tests. (Problem is that they don't actually include the TwoTrees.JPG on the DVD... but, anyway...)

They tell you to go into the Render Mode. Click PASS. and Edit CURRENT PASS.

Their version is slightly different from XSI 6, but then I click the pass shaders tab, and click on the ADD button by the environment section.

I get a file chooser box and browse to where my background is.

But, when I select it, I get the following error. How can it not exist??? I am selecting it through the file chooser!

Am I forgetting a step somewhere? Because it seems to me that this used to work!

http://www.digitalartistguild.com/Tests/XSIError.jpg

visualboo
05-22-2007, 01:35 PM
Instead of choosing the background image itself, choose "environment" and plug an image into that ppg.

MarkInTx
05-22-2007, 09:17 PM
Instead of choosing the background image itself, choose "environment" and plug an image into that ppg.

Thanks! Yep... that was it!

So... can I ask another...?

How do I size the background image so it fits the scale of my model (or vice versa?)

visualboo
05-23-2007, 01:21 PM
The scale of your model?

MarkInTx
05-23-2007, 09:48 PM
OK... I guess I didn't make much sense, huh?

Here is a screenshot showing the background image I want to use, and the result when I use it. It is zoomed in to some size I don't want, making it out of scale with my model, an makes it pixelate.

I was wondering if there is a way to change the size of the background image so it matched my model.

Does that make sense?

http://www.digitalartistguild.com/Tests/XSIbackgroundtest.jpg

JamesMK
05-23-2007, 09:57 PM
From what I can see, you're actually not looking for an environment at all (which wraps the texture spherically around the whole scene), but rather a 2D background. So, add that to your output shader as well - assuming you still want the environment for reflections and so forth, but the backdrop as a flat projection. Or render the car separately and add it over the background in post (always a good idea).

el_diablo
05-24-2007, 07:00 AM
You will be better off camera mapping this to a plane and a sphere. Its not wide enough though to be a good backdrop.

MarkInTx
05-24-2007, 11:10 AM
From what I can see, you're actually not looking for an environment at all (which wraps the texture spherically around the whole scene), but rather a 2D background. So, add that to your output shader as well - assuming you still want the environment for reflections and so forth, but the backdrop as a flat projection. Or render the car separately and add it over the background in post (always a good idea).

You are correct, that is what I am trying for. I wanted a "2D background" that still has the elements in the reflections and such.

The technique you describe was not discussed in my "Begginers guide to XSI" But I have a general idea of what you mean and will dig more out of the XSI doc, now that I know where to look.

Thanks!

el_diablo: You may be right that it is not large enough... but I cropped it for the reference I posted here... the actual image is much larger than I show in th pic.

I will post the result here when I am done, just in case anyone else is trying the same thing and reading the thread thinking: "Yeah, how is that done...?"

CGTalk Moderation
05-24-2007, 11:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.