PDA

View Full Version : C4D Camera to Vue--2 issues

govinda
05-22-2007, 01:02 AM
We have our Cinema 4D camera coming in to Vue via the synch plugin. All good. Now the quirks--can these be fixed?

1) The cinema camera focal length goes to hell. Our C4D cam's FL is 39.988, but it comes into Vue at 750. We've worked the cam in C4D back to 2.1 focal length to get a Vue cam with a 40 focal length. But that's not cool--can they match via some regular factor adjustment?

2) We're matching foreground (cinema) / background (vue) renders. The scene scale issue I've read so much about means that the camera we bring in from Cinema doesn't correspond accurately to the geometry it's flying around when we bring that in to vue. We have to eyeball them to match, which isn't cool really.

An example would help here: If you have a camera flying through hoops, then bring the camera synch data and the hoops in to Vue, they camera isn't necessarily going to fly thorugh the hoops.

Anyone with some experience solving these issues?

Cheers! govinda

govinda
05-24-2007, 11:02 PM
We've solved a few things to make the integration from C4D to Vue work for us, but these two issues remain. To get the Cinema camera path match to Vue is still a matter of eyeballing and praying. If anyone's solved the two issues I posted about, it'd be great for a lot of people, because it seems to be a very common problem.

bruno021
05-24-2007, 11:21 PM
I can't help you here, but I was just wondering if you were using the latest camera sync plugin? Apparently, latest version was out on 05/02, at the beginning of this month.

videodv
05-25-2007, 01:02 AM
2) We're matching foreground (cinema) / background (vue) renders. The scene scale issue I've read so much about means that the camera we bring in from Cinema doesn't correspond accurately to the geometry it's flying around when we bring that in to vue. We have to eyeball them to match, which isn't cool really.
Cheers! govinda

I seem to remember doing some test with this some time ago and if I remember right I had to increase the scene in vue by 50%. Cant recall at the moment what I did but I do remember getting a good result in the end (using cameras and lights).

I think I still have the file somewhere on my hd, will have a look for it later and see if I can workout exactly what I did, will post when I find it and work it out.

ps have you turned off centre and resize objects in the options menu.

videodv.

videodv
05-26-2007, 11:38 AM
I have setup a new scene with 4 hoops and a sphere, the sphere flys through the hoops I have also setup 5 cameras 1 linked to the sphere to track that and 4 for the fly through a start cam 2 tracking cams and an end cam.

When exported/synced into vue all comes in as expected and when the vue cameras are setup they track as expected all works as it should.

But the pov is to close to the hoops in vue?

I have been looking at the scene/export scale in cinema and the scale size in vue and I cannot seem to get the two to match up with the original pov in cinema, I know I did not have this problem after my last tests other than resetting the scale in vue (I still have that scene so I know it worked as it should).

Not sure whats going on here will look into this when I have a bit more time.

videodv.

govinda
05-26-2007, 06:46 PM
The hoops, it's a perfect test, and even though it's what I used as an analogy, I never tried it. I'm the C4D guy and another guy is the Vue guy, and because of lack of mutual availability we usually jump into our entire 10-camera scene rather than tests.

We're building mountains around a C4D foreground model. Our cameras fly around only in a small space in the middle where the C4D model is. We're compositing the two renders after the fact in AE. What I've been doing is scaling my c4d geometry down to 10% of size because (apparently) scaling in Vue is just too cumbersome. I'm wondering if that may be part of the problem.

Another problem is that Vista and VueSynch aren't friendly, making many Synch functions unusable and crashes insanely frequent, no matter how we update drivers.

We've been making our 39.988 focal length C4D cameras (FOV 70) have a focal length of 2.1 or 2.2, based on eyeball tests for how it comes into Vue. What we get works, but it's surely off, and a seasoned camera eye will no doubt see the small differences.

videodv
05-29-2007, 12:58 AM
Our cameras fly around only in a small space in the middle where the C4D model is. We're compositing the two renders after the fact in AE. What I've been doing is scaling my c4d geometry down to 10% of size because (apparently) scaling in Vue is just too cumbersome. I'm wondering if that may be part of the problem.

What export options are you using from cinema, I usually use 3ds with a scaling of between 1 and 1.5 and it usually comes into vue about right.

The only problem I am getting now is the imported scene is to close to the camera and I cant seen to move it away to the right place to match up in both apps?

I did manage to find my original test scenes that I used both the cinema scene and the vue scene, I have found that when I import the cinema scene into vue (5 Infinite) now it is coming in the right size/scale but it allways comes in to close to the camera??? When I did my last test with this (it was about a year ago) I know it came in right but I had to adjust the scale a little in vue, so not sure why it is not working like it was before, I have updated cinema and vue since then so maybe somthing has gone screwy, will keep looking.

videodv.

govinda
05-29-2007, 01:48 AM
Our workflow is to export the cameras using Synch, and then use proxy geometry to line up the cameras in Vue. I scale the scene to 10% of its original size in Cinema, then export the geometry as OBJ at Scale 1, the default. I tried scaling the cameras to 10% of original also, after baking, but they really don't line up in Vue that way anyway.

I'm going to press for a simpler test, where I don't scale to 10%.

videodv
05-29-2007, 05:52 AM
Think I will do the same and start from scratch, maybe I will just use a cube with one camera going round to start and work from there.

Will post findings later today.

videodv
06-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Sorry for the delay but I have been offline for a couple of days while they upgrade my local exchange.

Ok, I have tried just about everything I can think of and I still cannot get the scenes to line up correctly. Must be something e-on have overlooked or changed since and earlier version.

I did get a slightly better line up when I tried exporting a default scene with nothing in it from vue and worked with that, but it still was not exceptable in my eyes.

I have a lot on at the moment so I will have to stop working on this for the time being but I will get back to it at a later date.

videodv.

govinda
06-02-2007, 07:12 AM
That's not reassuring! But it's life, so we're in the same boat. Cheers and thanks for trying. :)

leed
06-05-2007, 10:17 AM
I have recently purchased Vue Infinite and am looking for ways to get camera info from C4d into Vue.
Can you tell me where I can get the Sync plug-in.

and have you had been able tot get it to work?

Thanks

Lee

CGTalk Moderation
06-05-2007, 10:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.