PDA

View Full Version : 3ds Max: Main char rig controlls

Tris3d
05-21-2007, 05:44 PM
Hiya, sorry this is an incredibly pathetic question and i'm sure I wont get any replies but I've just started using the lowmax rig and one thing i've never understood is what the main ring is used for that moves the entire rig/char ( the one usually placed by the feet and very large ) I can see it moves the entire character which is a good thing but if you use this for main movement then the legs will slide all over the place when trying to create a walk cycle? I've always used the legs to animate and then moved the rest of the character by the torso? This way means the character is actually walking away from the main circle that controlls the entire rig. I know this sounds complicated but its something that has always confused me. Does anyone have any answers?

I imagine if there was a way of clamping the feet in position then it would be great as the main controller.

ErikSvensson
05-21-2007, 07:30 PM
there is one way to make this work.

1. Do your cycle on the spot.
2. Make sure that all time the feet is in the ground, the feet curve for back movement is linear (IMPORTANT!):)
3. Loop the animation several times. (copy paste it)
4. Move the "whole" controller on the ground forward, linear speed all time, then make the distance of the controller go that far that the feets don't slide. It's an eyeballing thing to do. Just change the distance until it looks right and no sliding. :)

Erik

Tris3d
05-22-2007, 05:30 PM
Excellent, thanks for the reply and your help!

ErikSvensson
05-22-2007, 07:20 PM
No problems! Please tell me how it worked out :)

Erik

aaraaf
05-23-2007, 08:49 PM
In Max the coordinate system of everything is related to its parent... you generally want everything leading back to a single object so that they're all in the same number space. That way if the character needs to be placed waaaay off from where they're created/centered, all of the objects get position numbers that are more predictable. Some rigging setups are also based on position of objects, and this keeps those positions all relative to one another since they are referenced to the same point.

I've used the same setup to do walk and run cycles plenty of times, but it really depends on how connected the character is to the environment. You can get them pretty well timed out, but there is usually some degree of the character looking like they're floating... especially if the ground is rough or really uneven.
Hope it helps. :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-23-2007, 08:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.