PDA

View Full Version : Exterior Glass Reflections

gaiaffect
05-21-2007, 02:01 PM
Hello all & thanks in advance for any help/advice,

I am working on an architectural daylit scene, simple residential house, and am trying to get acceptable sky reflections in my windows. I have tried several methods:

HDRI - linked only to the windows
Physical Sun&Sky
Mapped sky image to Spotlight - linked only to the windows

I feel like any one of these methods should work so I am thinking that it is my material/MR settings that need help.

I tried using the mia_material with the glass presets for the windows,
If I am looking for "almost" mirror like reflections can I not achieve this with any of the many glass methods, dielectric, L-glass, etc.?

As for the MR settings I have cranked up the settings to Production levels and used FG.
No GI used.

As for the attached image - the background sky was added later in Photoshop
There are several spot lights with sky images attached to the color linked only to the glass.
The only other illumination is a directional light, linked to the rest of the model.

Thank you again, and hopefully this is clear enough with an even clearer solution.

living3d
05-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Hi! I think reflections in the windows are ok...atleast from this distance of your camera ( ofcourse it also depends on your image resolution)

I usually use IBL node with HDR sky mapped into it to create illumination and reflections from the sky
As to me I've never tried spotlights with images attached to it but think its not the best idea...

To create more like mirror glass material just reduce transparency in mia glass. Not so long ago I was using dielectric material to create glass objects but now we have mia_material :)
It's physical correct too and faster a bit. Since its exist i always use mia :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
05-21-2007, 06:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.