PDA

View Full Version : Outpost - VFX Challenge - Hugh & eVOLVE

Hugh
03-15-2003, 06:52 PM
My first CGChallenge entry, and looking forward to doing it....

Just registering - two of us will be working on this, myself and eVOLVE...

We've just taken the photo for the background, and I'm just about to grab it off the computer - will post it as soon as I have done it...

eVOLVE
03-15-2003, 07:37 PM
Well, we've just got back from taking some photos....

We've got two that we're considering using - still thinking....

(BTW - if anyone's wondering, this is the Avon Gorge in Bristol, UK)

http://www.brokenpipefilms.com/cgchallenge/outpost/gorge1.jpg

http://www.brokenpipefilms.com/cgchallenge/outpost/gorge2.jpg

We're currently thinking about using the second one, but not 100% sure yet... Any opinions most welcome...

Arioch
03-15-2003, 08:25 PM
If you are going to be placing structires on both sides of the canyon I'd say go for the second image. If you are planning to just populate the back wall then the first one has a better angle on that. Either way should be a nice comp, especially when you can reflect the buildings in that river to add to the realism.

Hugh
03-15-2003, 08:32 PM
We're planning on having a structure arching acrross the river...

I am thinking of rebuilding the left hand side of the gorge to make it cliff face on either side.... Not sure about this yet...

We've got loads of reference pics of the cliff face, trees, horizon, etc... So I'll see what I can do there.....

Hugh
03-15-2003, 11:22 PM
Okay - I've just been doing a sketch of the center - it's not finished, but this is how it's looking so far....

http://www.brokenpipefilms.com/cgchallenge/outpost/gorge2_sketch.jpg

Hellwolve
03-15-2003, 11:59 PM
I take it you two are going to remove the road later on?

Hugh
03-16-2003, 12:06 AM
I'm working on it at the moment!

Should have a WiP pic of the road removal in half an hour or so..... ;)

A MacVey
03-16-2003, 12:54 AM
like it hugh! dont make that alien building too apparent now! are you going to paint out the cars since they'll need to be animated?

say is this the same hugh from 3dbuzz?

Hugh
03-16-2003, 01:21 AM
Here you go - I've made a start on the human-object replacement (still VERY rough - I just wanted to get a background in first....)

eVOLVE and I split up the replacement work (me taking the huge job of the road, and him taking most of the rest...) - fortunately for him, it seems that the structure is covering up most of his work! (Although he'll still have to do it, as the top half of the structire will be glass ;)

http://www.brokenpipefilms.com/cgchallenge/outpost/gorge2_replacement.jpg

And yes - I am the same Hugh from 3DBuzz ;)

And thanks for the comments!

srich23
03-16-2003, 02:45 AM
not that the pic is bad, but i think it would be better to start with a more 'professionally done image', just a more epic high res photo you know what i mean, one that is beautiful just as a background for your destop. just an opinion, i'm sure you can good good results with this photo. :shrug:

A MacVey
03-16-2003, 02:58 AM
looks good so far. I think that that patch of lighter dirt doesnt look right to me. Also you need to color correct the picture but i think you are saving that for the end.

o and I am yankscatcher from 3dbuzz, incase you remember me ;)

Hugh
03-16-2003, 03:09 AM
srich23: I do know what you mean, but I'm not sure I agree with you...

There are certain problems with it, I agree - there was a little more haze than I expected, and it's a bit bland, but, as A MacVey mentioned, I will be doing a lot of colour correction on it....

A MacVey: As I said, the layer over the road is a very basic undercoat at the moment - I just expanded the previous texture back to the base of the cliff.

Any yeah, I do recognise your name from 3DBuzz - mainly in IRC, although I don't think I've spoken to you much...

rendermaniac
03-16-2003, 03:37 AM
might it be better to crop to the 1:1.85 aspect ratio first? That way you you can ignore what will not be in the final image.

eVOLVE
03-16-2003, 04:14 AM
That was my first thought, but we ended up deciding to leave it until later, so that for the animation, we can pan around a little bit, if we need to.

lebada
03-16-2003, 05:42 AM
*eyes wide open*..is that a vacuum?:surprised

Hugh
03-16-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Buggy166
*eyes wide open*..is that a vacuum?:surprised

huh?

eVOLVE
03-16-2003, 12:59 PM
Heh, the sketch? Yes, you caught us, it was designed around the microsuck turbovac 5000. But seriously no... if it looks like one now, it'll look like a much bigger one later, and hopefully you'll see something different :) Then again, what better way of getting soil samples is there than using a 200 ft tall vacuum cleaner?

Comment duely noted though, we'll be careful not to make it go down that road.

lebada
03-17-2003, 01:57 AM
lol..just a little joke..but it does look just a bit klike a vacuum..i'm sure at the end it'll look amazing...:buttrock:

Hugh
03-17-2003, 09:00 AM
There's gonna be a lot of glass in there ;)

We've just about finished the replacement stuff - eVOLVE's working on splitting the image up into layers at the moment, and I'm going to be doing the 'tracking' (what do you call lining up the camera with the 2D image and creating simple geometry?)

dirkusrhombas
03-17-2003, 06:21 PM
Ooooh ello fellow bristolians lookin forward to seeing what you come up with ive wanted to do something with bristol gorge scene myself cant wait to see it when its dun and dusted :P

Hugh
03-17-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by dirkusrhombas
Ooooh ello fellow bristolians lookin forward to seeing what you come up with ive wanted to do something with bristol gorge scene myself cant wait to see it when its dun and dusted :P

neither can we ;)

It's a shame it looks like it does - we really should have gone back to get more the next day....

The sun was on it's way down, and we wanted to get some nice light on the opposite side, but I think we got there just too late - you can see a bit of the light on the cliff at the back...

Anyway, I'm just about done with making the model of the environment, so I'll be posting that here soon(ish)

Mangled Poly
03-17-2003, 07:03 PM
Not sure if i like the road removal it just looks like its totally edited :/

Hugh
03-17-2003, 07:06 PM
I did say (I think) that the road removal was still a WiP....

It's looking a lot better now (although still not finished) - I'll post it when I post the wireframe mesh...

Equinoxx
03-17-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Hugh
As I said, the layer over the road is a very basic undercoat at the moment - I just expanded the previous texture back to the base of the cliff.

that's the reason the road looks kinda weird. It's not finished in the last pic we got shown ;)

Hugh
03-17-2003, 07:11 PM
Ah well...

Here's a (still WiP) pic of the road replacement as it is at the moment...

I shrunk that part of the bank, widening the river a bit....

http://www.brokenpipefilms.com/cgchallenge/outpost/gorge2_replacement_road.jpg

Oh, and I know there's still a reflection of a non-existent tree in the water ;) We're going to be completely replacing the water....

Hugh
03-17-2003, 11:19 PM
New update - I've just finished working on the rough model of the environment....

Rather than projection mapping, we're going to be splitting the background plate up into layers...

http://www.brokenpipefilms.com/cgchallenge/outpost/gorge2_wireframe.jpg

Mangled Poly
03-17-2003, 11:30 PM
Looking a little better dont see why you went through all the trouble though :)

Hugh
03-17-2003, 11:36 PM
Wasn't a huge amount of trouble, and it's a good reference....

We also *might* go the projection mapping route (ought to make that decision soon, but it's not something I've done before....) - my only worry about that is that there are a lot of trees with tiny transparent bits... And I think that could be quite hard to get looking good....

With the layers, we may do some kind of animation, though...

And it's all a learning experience - so I may use this model to have a go at projection mapping later....

Edit: Oh, and as eVOLVE has just reminded me, we need the model for shadows..... ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.