PDA

View Full Version : Galactic Jellyfish - Modelling

Swoop
03-15-2003, 05:01 PM
Modelling the opener Galactiv Jellyfish.
Modelling in 3dsmax, and this is my first time doing some real modelling so might take a little time ;)

Hope to be done this weekend, but if stuff gets int he way i appologise :D

Swoop
03-17-2003, 08:56 PM
Well this seemingly simple model just isnt' easy for me .. hehe

Well i have tried like multiple ways of trying to make a sphere (no prob there) or a geosphere and either extrude the arms or use a bolean connect to attach spheres to the big sphere and thus creating the "arms".

However i just cant get it smooth. If i take 2 spheres and use boolean connect it works fine, as long as i connect the polar region to the polar region, but that doesnt give me more than 2 good arms, and then i run into problems making the rest of the arms.. and i want quite alot of arms on there hehe.. like the concept art.

anyways if anybody has any good idead of how a newbie like me can model this quite simple model...

Poco
03-17-2003, 11:01 PM
Hey Swoop, this is how I would do it.

First, create a simple sphere with enough segments (32 in my example) and convert it to Editable Poly.

Then select some random polygons (see pic01), click extrude a few times until you get something like in the picture. (See pic02)

Then slap a meshmooth (2 iterations) on top of this and u have somthing similar as what you want. (see pic03)

Hopes this helps,

Poco

PS: dont export the mesh with meshsmooth to Maya (thats to keep the density of the mesh low, you or somebody else can then in Maya make a "subdiv surface" out of it)

Pic01 (http://www.art-at-large.be/tut/Pic01.jpg)
Pic02 (http://www.art-at-large.be/tut/Pic02.jpg)
Pic03 (http://www.art-at-large.be/tut/Pic03.jpg)

Swoop
03-18-2003, 07:11 AM
Actually i found that out to be working last night .. hehe.. thx anyways...

Hoewever thx on the tip of not exporting with meshsmooth ...

Gonna hopefully have a model ready by wednesday... busy tonight

Kirt
03-18-2003, 10:07 AM
I would extrude from a set of 9 squares rather than just 1. Or cut out a section, patch in a cylinder that has 12 divisions and cap off the end.

Can't wait to see what you come up with for the rig and controls. I was trying to come up with a good solution, but didn't have any luck.

Of course, I'm not the most knowledgable person when it comes to making 3D models.

Swoop
03-18-2003, 03:04 PM
I have a model ready.
Here goes nothing for my first real modelling gig hehe:

http://www.reflection-design.dk/temp/jallyfish01.gif

BTW; did i make too many arms, caus i'm really sucky at altering the model at the moment, so i hope there shouldn't be that many changes.

I was figuring a nice noise modifier will give it some good motion, kinda of a blubber moving slowly through space look.

As for rigging and such i can give it a try, but i dont know squat about that just yet.
But here is the model so far. C & C

Kirt
03-18-2003, 05:58 PM
The good news is ... that no one has got the models correct the first time out. Even ila's excellent alien model recieved my brutal critiques. But, he listened and applied my ideas and ended up with a perfect representation of my style in 3D.

The bad news is ... you need to make changes. First (as you feared) there are too many arms. I'd cut out half of them to get it closer to the concept. Secondly, the arms are shaped wrong. They should be narrower at the base and really bulbous on the ends. "Water balloons" and "tear drops" are the forms to keep in mind when working on these models.

Give it another try. I'm sure you'll get it or at least learn something important trying. :thumbsup:

JIII
03-18-2003, 06:48 PM
I bet for rigging we could just morph the poses it cant have that many can it?

JIII
03-18-2003, 06:50 PM
also make it transparent and put a few little glowing purple balls in there that would look cool ( and like kirts drawing) maybe the middle parts could be meta balls.

Aearon
03-18-2003, 07:01 PM
swoop i've got a little tip for you that will make modeling a lot easier and keep polycount down...sadly you'd have to redo the model if you want to apply it:

use a smoothed box instead of a sphere. just create a box with 1 segment in every direction, meshsmooth it with 2 or 3 iterations, convert this mesh to poly again - this will give you a more uniform, quad-only mesh you can work from

like this one:
http://www.k-dump.net/files/wip/alienz/quadsphere.jpg

JDex
03-18-2003, 09:36 PM
hey swoop good start you're getting the hang of it... I had just been goofin around in wings and came to the same comclusion that fist just mentioned... try modeling it with a smoothed cube... it works pretty good...

Swoop
03-19-2003, 09:18 AM
I'm gonna give thoose methods a try today hehe..

JIII Well i was expecting the see through part to be texturing ... didn't want to texture the model in case the textures didn't go well when exporting to another program.

But if i can textuer it without problems for the animators and such i will apply some textures to the next model hehe

JIII
03-19-2003, 05:51 PM
i was just thinking aloud sorry bout that, no the texturing for that would probibly need to be procedural so it would probibly need to be textured in maya.

Swoop
03-19-2003, 06:07 PM
I'm thinking like this:

I make the model without textures and somebody textures it in maya.. plus makes the purple dot things since they will just be balls with some noise added... so shouldnt be a great task...

JIII
03-19-2003, 06:25 PM
yeah that makes sense should not be too hard.

Swoop
03-24-2003, 07:55 PM
here is the new version and i want the critique :D

http://www.reflection-design.dk/temp/jellyfish02.gif

slapped a standard background on there :D

PS: i figure that a noise modifier would make it more organic, but i didn't want to do too much yet, unless the basic shape was okay :D

Kirt
03-24-2003, 09:28 PM
Yes, that one looks much better! I'm not sure what you mean by putting a noise modifier on it. I guess I'll have to see an example to give you an opinion on it.

On the model, all I would change is to lessen the degree of change from stalk arms to bulby ends. Make the transition between the two less severe and I think you'll have it.

Swoop
03-24-2003, 09:37 PM
Okay.. basically make it less like spheres in the ends ? caus i had that look but i thought you wanted more like sphrical in the ends...

Gonna have an other version up tomorrow plus some noise.. to make it less "perfect" and more like a blob :D

Swoop
03-24-2003, 11:52 PM
Okay here is a render with the Noise modifier added, which can be animated in 3dsmax.
I added a small test animation to show off how i think the JF should be animated, which also shows how the noise modifier gives it a more organic shape...

Animation Here (http://www.reflection-design.dk/temp/jelly.avi)

http://www.reflection-design.dk/temp/jellyfish03.jpg

PS: i dont know if this sort of animation is possible in maya (should be). Also i think the noise gives it the "perfect" look, but still i await the harsh critique ;) eheh..

PPS: How do i export the model for use in maya ? specific instructions please :D

Poco
03-25-2003, 12:06 AM
In a previous post

"By the way, for the people working with 3D Studio Max there is a good export plugin to .obj for Maya, called MAX2OBJ

Discription;
MAX2OBJ generates an Alias|Wavefront OBJ and MTL file from a 3DStudio MAX scene

Here is the link

http://www.habware.at/duck4.htm

Hopes this helpes some of you out there.

Greetings

Poco

PS: If everybody already knows this, sorry for the trouble."

CuTnPaste
03-25-2003, 12:26 AM
yeas......

OBJ file......!!

great Jellyfish! :D

Swoop
03-25-2003, 07:07 AM
Thx.. personally i like it as it is now, with some noise. And also think that the animation i created is good motion for something liek that drifiting through space :D

But awaiting kirts opinion :D

Aearon
03-25-2003, 07:53 AM
you're right swoop, it looks like it's finished :)

i hope you also tried to keep the poly-count down for something as blubbery as this :D

let's wait and see what the master says

Kirt
03-25-2003, 07:59 AM
I like it! :thumbsup: Can you make the arms move independently? I was thinking that we could animate it so it looks like it's pulling itself through space with it's arms. But the general blobby-ness looks really nice!

Swoop
03-25-2003, 11:48 AM
Well i guess it's real easy to animate though i dont know dip about maya.
So i got a couple of questions for ya:

The model i have now and showing is Meshsmooth with 3 iterations. Should i just export the model Without meshsmooth or what ?

As for animation the individual arms...i really dont know. I think you can do a stretch on the whole mesh, and accomplish the same effect relatively easy. Gonna make a small vid of what i mean...

Just gimme the go ahead on how i should export to .obj and somebody can get it to texture and animate :D

Aearon
03-25-2003, 12:34 PM
you're right swoop, always export without any sub-d / meshsmooth

any app can do this by itself, so just export the base mesh

CuTnPaste
03-25-2003, 01:09 PM
yeah....it's safe export all the meshes....the original meshe, too.

The smooth will be applied after the importing..

The animation? I think there are not problems...a lot of joints and ik controller... :)

cutnpaste

Swoop
03-25-2003, 03:01 PM
Well i'm gonna get the model exported then, and hopefully somebody can animate it to look good.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.