PDA

View Full Version : Challenge #9 FAQ

RobertoOrtiz
05-20-2007, 03:07 AM
Post your questions here for the Star Wars Tribute Mini challenge.
Ill answer them as I get them.
-R

bonesy
05-20-2007, 06:31 AM
are teams allowed for this one? (planning on doing as much of the hoth battle as possible)

robo3687
05-20-2007, 07:01 AM
i take it vehicles and such are all valid entry subjects? i sure could have some fun with that if thats the case

michaelshippy
05-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Are these going to be exact recreations of shots from the film, or can they be interpretations from those shots? I.e., different angles, different poses, etc.?

maje3d
05-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Even though this is supposed to be purely recreating a scene, would it be possible to have a secondary theme for entries that dealt more with creating new elements that could fit in the Star Wars universe?

For example, if one creates a Corellian style transport, it should have a resemblance to other Corellian Transports like the Outrider, Otana, and Millenium Falcon or if you're making an Imperial/Republic starship, it would probably be based off of the dagger shaped hull of the various Star Destroyers (Venator-, Imperator-, and Executor-classes), and Acclimator Cruiser.

This can also work for characters, aliens, droids, etc.

robo3687
05-21-2007, 02:14 AM
in regards to the recreating a scene questions, when i posted this

as far as subjects for modelling go does anyone else like the idea of just having the statement be something like

"Choose a classic scene from the Star Wars films and reinterpret it into a 3d diorama, or think up your own scene and do the same"

I think by opening that up you'll find alot more creativity is generated and the option of creating your own could have possibilities like-

- death of jar jar
- yoda vs vader
- vader vs the emperor
- stormtroopers playing poker.....

roberto said he liked that idea so I would assume its going to be something along those lines which means yes we should be able to redo a scene from the star wars films, and that may even spread into redesigning the characters/ships

Diabolos
05-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Are we going to see 100 Jango and Boba Fetts?

Don't get me wrong Boba will stay an icon for me until I am six feet under...........

D,

Firerbert
05-21-2007, 12:40 PM

:scream:
Odds are 3,720 to 1 that you will not.

WyattHarris
05-21-2007, 03:40 PM

Don't get me wrong Boba will stay an icon for me until I am six feet under...........

D,

The Fett's were punks. Both of them got owned severely.
Now I've done it. :twisted:

ps. I loved the Fett's but they did not get treated well on-screen.

WyattHarris
05-21-2007, 03:44 PM
Copied from another thread.

For the Star Wars challenge, do we have to go super movie accurate like the last challenge or can it be left to interpretation. I ask because I've had an idea in my head for redesigning a certain Star Wars character that is despised by all, despised because of the design, not the character itself. I'd like to coolify it if you will. That would be super groovy of you bro, if not that's cool, I'll have to keep thinking. :D

Thanks,
Wyatt

dweinin
05-21-2007, 06:02 PM
Hey- New to these challenges. Have been wanting to try one.

How do I find a link to the current challenge and it's critieria?

Sorry for such a newb questions.

Thanks.

AndreKling
05-21-2007, 06:36 PM
hey dweinin welcome to the coolest corner of cgtalk. :)
answering your question, i dont think the contest has started already, there will be a thread from Roberto ( the big boss around here ) with all the details and informations, and it will be displayed in the front page for a few days ( this is how was made in the past ).
Looking foward for this challenge aswell
Andre

dweinin
05-21-2007, 06:40 PM
Excellent, Thanks.

mmanny
05-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Does the scene have to be from the movie/cartoon, or could we creat a scene that is inspired from the books?

TheBladeRoden
05-21-2007, 08:51 PM
Um, where is the actual main challenge thread? :)

michaelshippy
05-21-2007, 09:05 PM
TheBladeRoden, I don't think there is an official challenge thread yet (this will be my first challenge, though, so I might be leading you astray here by speaking out of turn).

Diabolos
05-22-2007, 08:04 AM
The Fett's were punks. Both of them got owned severely.
Now I've done it. :twisted:

ps. I loved the Fett's but they did not get treated well on-screen.

I would love to see an entire series or shorts or whatever from the Mandalorians <sp?> Lucas never did touch on that subject very much - some of the video games out there seem to be more interesting and have more story about the Star Wars universe than the movies do, and would love to have the video game media added to the challenge - tons of interesting highly profiled characters in those games.

D,

RobertoOrtiz
05-22-2007, 02:35 PM
Um, where is the actual main challenge thread? :)
Ill post it in the next few days...

:)
I am writing the rules right now.

-R

robo3687
05-23-2007, 01:00 AM
good to hear roberto, the sooner the better...i'm struggling to hold back from starting modelling cos I'm so excited to get going. but since you're not actually allowed I'm resisting.....

I've gathered all my refs and if I get it all done it'll truly be a feat of hardcore modelling and the most complicated model I've ever completed.....fun fun...

EnergyPulse
05-23-2007, 01:14 AM
Just a quick question before bed. Would we be allowed to do the light saber light in Photoshop if we modeled the light saber?

P.S I got dibbs on Ewoks :P

Diabolos
05-23-2007, 01:34 AM

you can have 'em.

D,

Vicktorious
05-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Step 1: Borrow Star Wars Collection from my Star Wars obsessed friend.
Step 2: Take a day off work to watch them all back to back and get a few good screen grabs.
Step 3: Visit said Star Wars obsessed friends house to "research" his obsessive collection of Star Wars figures.
Step 4: Doodle.

3d Modellers have it so rough.

Viva la Jango Fett (only because the Boba scenes are few and far between in the movies.)

Diabolos
05-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Boba vs sandpit monster what a joke.....no screen grab needed :sad: ......we need to fix that outcome. We are cg artists and now have the power and talent to do it....

D,

WyattHarris
05-23-2007, 02:33 PM
Just a quick question before bed. Would we be allowed to do the light saber light in Photoshop if we modeled the light saber?

Lightsabers and Ewoks! That could be great fun or quite tragic.

Remember though, Fett was the only man to survive the sarlac pit, thanks to that dandy armor. And so begins the trivia challenge.

Vicktorious
05-23-2007, 03:17 PM
Lightsabers and Ewoks! That could be great fun or quite tragic.

Remember though, Fett was the only man to survive the sarlac pit, thanks to that dandy armor. And so begins the trivia challenge.

I thought Fett died to the sandpit and that was when the Imposter took over his identity.

Btw, I can't wait to see some of the results with Zbrush 3 out now. Shall be crazyness with how much time it can save.

michaelshippy
05-23-2007, 03:31 PM
The Extended Universe eventually has Fett blasting out of the Sarlacc, and his fellow bounty hunter Dengar nursing him back to health.

By the way, if you're combining lightsabers and Ewoks in a scene, could you do me a personal favor and place a Gungan in the swing arc of that saber? I know it will be some extra effort, but I would really appreciate it. ;)

WyattHarris
05-24-2007, 02:38 PM
I thought Fett died to the sandpit and that was when the Imposter took over his identity.

The only thing that kept him alive was his Mandelorean Armor. (Fett's are not Mandeloreans BTW) Once he got back on his feet he aquired new armor and new ship Slave II. Then it was a matter of hunting down the imposter posing as him. Something like that, Lucas himself said not to believe anything written about Fett.

EDIT: Firebert - Yes Sir! :thumbsup:

Firerbert
05-24-2007, 03:51 PM
Let's keep our eye on the prize now, come on. Save that noise for Trivial Pursuit. Sheesh.:banghead:

icedeyes
05-25-2007, 12:19 PM
Since we can create our own scene using this universe, could we make something funny? I am asking because most of the scenes listed are on the serious side (excluding the stormtroopers playing poker)...

octopus7
05-26-2007, 02:15 AM
Here's a humorous idea! The extremely irritating Jar-Jar binks being a goon as usual and playing with a Jedi's light sabre. He looks straight into the blade projection plate while his clumsy fingers find the activation switch. In his annoying voice "meesa wonder what dissa do? meesa giva try!" the vivid blue blade hums into life going straight through silly old Jar-Jars head. Looks like anakin will have to clean up the mess.

I'd try and do this myself but I positively suck at organic modelling. My IG88 was the closest I've ever come to creating any character.

So anybody who wants this idea is welcome to it.

RobertoOrtiz
05-26-2007, 02:17 AM
Since we can create our own scene using this universe, could we make something funny? I am asking because most of the scenes listed are on the serious side (excluding the stormtroopers playing poker)...

As lomg as the models look like the ones in the film, go ahead and have fun!

-R

maje3d
05-26-2007, 05:36 PM
For the model pool, does it neccesarily have to have been built for this specific challenge, because I do have a Han Solo (ESB Bespin) model that's currently wip that I had started at the tail end of last challenge (ironically all the parts I have built for him that are in the current version have been built after HCMC8).

I'm asking this primarily because I'd hate to remodel the head for a fourth time in such close proximity to the other versions.

Oh, btw, the Han Solo WIP section for 3D stills is here http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=43&t=493007, and I do plan on updating the thread sometime tonight.

RobertoOrtiz
05-27-2007, 04:56 AM
Sorry man but one of the core rules in the mini challenges is that all elements have to be done from scratch after the announcement.

-R

maje3d
05-27-2007, 01:37 PM
no, it's cool. I have another character (or hopefully, set of characters I'll be making) :D.

inkyspot
05-29-2007, 04:25 PM
I have a Yoda Question.

1) I was thinking of a "What if" Scene.
Can I have Yoda convert to the Dark Side, with the yellow and red eyes, scars, and Darkside style uniform?
He will be holding the head of Jar Jar, or perched on the helmet of one of those storm trooper guys with light saber in hand, maybe duel bladed.

If not I will still be doing Yoda.

RobertoOrtiz
05-29-2007, 09:31 PM
I have a Yoda Question.

1) I was thinking of a "What if" Scene.
Can I have Yoda convert to the Dark Side, with the yellow and red eyes, scars, and Darkside style uniform?
He will be holding the head of Jar Jar, or perched on the helmet of one of those storm trooper guys with light saber in hand, maybe duel bladed.

If not I will still be doing Yoda.

What if are kosher as long as they are based on movie characters...
Have fun.

-R

inkyspot
05-29-2007, 10:44 PM
Cool,

Now I have a purpose. All refs acquired, concepts coming soon, model WIP soon after.

Airflow
05-31-2007, 08:04 PM
The done from scratch thing, now it not a massive problem, but I can see how people can be tempted to dl some models that were prebuilt and use them, maybey you should add that all wips should have construction images, so we can see the progress from the start.

RobertoOrtiz
05-31-2007, 08:11 PM
The done from scratch thing, now it not a massive problem, but I can see how people can be tempted to dl some models that were prebuilt and use them, maybey you should add that all wips should have construction images, so we can see the progress from the start.
Agreed.
This is why we have this rule:

WIP images are NOT only encouraged, but they are required.
So if you start modeling with the box modeling method, we want to see the different stages of the construction of the model, from the base box to the finished model.

If a person does not do the core requirements he or she will be be posted on the voting thread.

-R

Firerbert
06-01-2007, 12:51 AM
WIP images are NOT only encouraged, but they are required.
So if you start modeling with the box modeling method, we want to see the different stages of the construction of the model, from the base box to the finished model.

If a person does not do the core requirements he or she will be be posted on the voting thread.

I think you mean, they will not be posted on the voting thread.

What I don't get is why most people don't show their process. You ain't gonna be able to swing using prebuilts at a job unless it's from a company library. On top of that, this is always a learning process. I continually learn and re-learn things I never noticed before, and if anyone wants to grow as a modeler, they should post not only for the rules, but also to better themselves. Other people will also gain from seeing your process, especially if they're inexperienced. It's a lot cheaper than buying books or dvd's, and at least in a place like this, you'll get feedback. Still, the whole process ordeal has turned a corner with ZB. It's created some slack in traditional skills. Just because you can retopologize in a program, doesn't necessarily mean you know what the heck you're actually doing or why you're really doing it. It's turned into a bunch of guess work and can easily lead to models that can't even be animated. My opinion has always been, if it can't be used for animation, it serves no purpose. Don't get me wrong, ZB has reshaped the modeling world as we know it, and as they say, has unleashed the artist. However, it truly has created less awareness of how to really model something that is functional in a 3d environment.
Now I'm way off topic.
My apologies.

eldee
06-01-2007, 05:59 AM
What's the actual deadline? didn't see it here, or on the challenge thread.. one month and two weeks is fine and all, but I'd prefer a hard time/date :)

edit: scratch that.. i Shpellerd deadline rong (sue me :P)

For those who are huked on fonix like me, the deadline is Monday, July 9th 12:00 PM

Airflow
06-01-2007, 06:06 AM
What has bee said about re-topology is to the point.
If you have one guy building a mesh from scratch and another getting a pre-built mesh, say Dawn from the nvidia demos, and re-topo'ing it in zbrush or what ever is that really a fair contest, I dont think so... I think everybody should atleast be showing their progress in the program they are using from the first poly to the last, then importing into zbrush. Just my take on "From scratch"...

RobertoOrtiz
06-04-2007, 01:49 PM
What has bee said about re-topology is to the point.
If you have one guy building a mesh from scratch and another getting a pre-built mesh, say Dawn from the nvidia demos, and re-topo'ing it in zbrush or what ever is that really a fair contest, I dont think so... I think everybody should atleast be showing their progress in the program they are using from the first poly to the last, then importing into zbrush. Just my take on "From scratch"...

It is exactly what you said.
It has to be done FROM SCRATCH.

NO SHORTCUTS.
That is why we state clearly on the rules that ALL stages on the models have to be covered.

I mean, it would not be a hardcore challenge if we allowed shortcuts.

-R

ravenger373
06-29-2007, 09:39 PM
can you use a part of a model that you have previously built yourself but never finished? and finish it for this challenge?

RobertoOrtiz
07-02-2007, 03:06 AM
can you use a part of a model that you have previously built yourself but never finished? and finish it for this challenge?
No sorry, all model work has to be done from scratch.

RobinAlexander
07-02-2007, 02:10 PM
alright sounds a bit stupid but i want to be sure.

- 3 orthographic renders: bottom, top, side

- 1 wireframe render, what does 3/4 mean?

- 1 turntable animation (not required)

- 1 beauty render

chesterjoe
07-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Since I noticed this challenge was open so late (at least not at the beggining of it) and have little time to work on it ( I work fulltime) so must likely will not be able to finish the whole deal, BUT would love to participate at least for the fun of it and because i'm such a big fan of starwars since I saw the first one as a child.

Can I enter and participate and try to do my best to finish but even though I think I won't be able to complete it ? or is it againts some rule????

RobertoOrtiz
07-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Since I noticed this challenge was open so late (at least not at the beggining of it) and have little time to work on it ( I work fulltime) so must likely will not be able to finish the whole deal, BUT would love to participate at least for the fun of it and because i'm such a big fan of starwars since I saw the first one as a child.

Can I enter and participate and try to do my best to finish but even though I think I won't be able to complete it ? or is it againts some rule????

Go ahead!

Have fun
-R

RobertoOrtiz
07-03-2007, 04:18 PM
alright sounds a bit stupid but i want to be sure.

- 3 orthographic renders: bottom, top, side

- 1 wireframe render, what does 3/4 mean?

- 1 turntable animation (not required)

- 1 beauty render

In my book there are no stupid questions...
You got it!
Looking forward to your finished entry.

-R

octopus7
07-03-2007, 10:36 PM
Ok i'm going to sound like a complete dork here. But how do you do a turntable animation? I haven't animated anything ever LOL!

Any tutorials etc would be appreciated.

RedRepublik
07-04-2007, 02:16 PM
ok the deadline is july 9th at 12:00 pm. is that eastern, central, or pacific time? (or mountain i guess)

jaredr
07-05-2007, 01:25 AM
1. If I have a character that covers some geometry of another part of my scene, should I still render everything together, or submit multiple renderings? (i.e. scout trooper riding speeder bike).

2. Should the beauty render be only modeling, or can there be a 2d background?

Panthr
07-05-2007, 05:27 AM
> Post on this thread your link to your WIP thread and your FINAL piece.

which thread? :)

RobertoOrtiz
07-07-2007, 05:05 PM
ok the deadline is july 9th at 12:00 pm. is that eastern, central, or pacific time? (or mountain i guess)
The dateline is when July the 9th 2007 is gone from planet earth.

-R

Yav
07-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Yeah, but July the 9th is going away from the planet earth at different times in different places :) I guess, what you're trying to say is that everyone can post their work before 12pm (MIDNIGHT) local time....or at least, I hope so. I need every hour available :(

Airflow
07-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Me too, I prolly had about 2hrs sleep more than yav... :P

Yav
07-07-2007, 08:31 PM
I've had EXACTLY 2 hours sleep in the past two days...thank GOD for Red Bull and Marlboro Lights :(

Airflow
07-07-2007, 09:07 PM
See... 2hrs more than Yav's had :P

CGTalk Moderation
07-07-2007, 09:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.