PDA

View Full Version : How to rig a four legged animal?

Reyes
05-19-2007, 05:28 PM
I am modelling a cat in 3dmax and wondered if anyone has any links/tuts.
thanks

eek
05-19-2007, 09:19 PM
hmm.. well all i know is from my own experience (theres a few of my quad rigs around here and bunch of other people too) So I'll just give you a run down of what I'd put into a quad rig.

So to start Id have a main torso control that controls the hips, chest and head control. Next I'd have an independant hip and chest control. Id have an independant head control that moves with the chest/neck, orientationally constrained to the torso. Moving the head makes the neck follow (sort of a backwards ik)

Then id have shoulder controls, with a central pivot (the bone rotates about its center), then id have independant arms that are constrained orientationally to the torso - this will allow the shoulders to shrug. I'd have a floating ik system on the forelegs, (this is an ik system made from points going from the upperarm to the fingers), then i constrain the real upperarm, elbow to the points and fk the hand - this allows you to lock/unlock the arm through the passing position.

I'd keep the tail fk, or fIk if needed per shot. I was thinking today about unifing ik/fk into one system for ik-fk using nodeReferencing but for now id just have standard 3 chain ikfk system.

CGTalk Moderation
05-19-2007, 09:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.