PDA

View Full Version : New to Mental Ray

Nikus
05-19-2007, 01:44 AM
Hello everybody,

Im currently trying to learn Mental Ray for Maya 8.5. My goal is to do realistic renderings but I have no idea of how to do that. Im reading "Learning Maya 6 - Rendering" book but it just gives some small tips and examples that barely cover the subject. Now I have some small idea about what is Final Gather, GLobal Ill, and photons, but thats it.

This is the scene I want to render...could someone please give me a link to a tutorial, or perhaps a workflow to tell me what settings I should use for this image? Its supposed to be my bedroom, with a sun light coming from the main window at 10AM. Materials are currently at sketch-stage, but they will have bump and specular maps.

Thanks

Nik

Jozvex
05-19-2007, 08:04 AM
Hi Nikus!

Unfortunately, realistic rendering with Mental Ray (or any advanced renderer) isn't a very pick-up-and-go process and requires a fair bit of time to learn. To get started, try reading this thread which I started a while ago (and then forgot about, haha):

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=87&t=289028

It has some great tips and workflow ideas in it.

:thumbsup:

Nikus
05-20-2007, 04:56 AM
Jozvex, thank you for answering! I know it is a typical question that probably bothers most of people! I'm studying your scene and will try to learn from it! I hope to present the comunity some decent MR render very soon.

Thanks

Nik

Emil3d
05-20-2007, 08:10 AM
Hello Nikus

Just my 2 cents.

I have read books, watched video tuts, have a huge number of web site links in my bookmarks and read quite a few of them, but none of them have clearly stated a fact that all beginners should know up front and make no illusions.

The fact is that Mental Ray or any renderer for that matter doesnít create any realistic lighting. It only provides tools for the users who know what realistic lighting is so that they can tune up the controls to achieve one.
In other words if you canít tell the difference between good and bad, realistic and not realistic lighting, Mental Ray wonít help you at all.

Names like physically correct lights, shaders, rendering methods, etc. can be quite misleading because although they might be correct to the real life laws that they represent, these elements alone are only parts of more complex and integrated reality that as a whole is missing in the computer world.

Hope this helps

Nikus
05-20-2007, 05:05 PM
Hello Emil3d,

I understand that mental ray just gives me the tools for setting a realistic (or simulating a realistic) environment. And given my experience, I can tell the difference between good and bad. I was just looking for a good tutorial or a workflow to know how to realistically light and render my scene. The problem comes with the settings...I start by adding GI, setting photons, etc. But my renders are either too bright, or complitelly unrealistic...Im currently using only a spotlight that emits photons. Im trying not to add FG yet until I learn GI and its settings. I do understand standard illumination with keylight, fill light and backlight and render with maya software. Im just interested in learning more but I find myself limited by information and resources on the internet!

Thanks
Nik

ftaswin
05-21-2007, 12:43 AM
Hello Nikus

Just my 2 cents.

I have read books, watched video tuts, have a huge number of web site links in my bookmarks and read quite a few of them, but none of them have clearly stated a fact that all beginners should know up front and make no illusions.

The fact is that Mental Ray or any renderer for that matter doesnít create any realistic lighting. It only provides tools for the users who know what realistic lighting is so that they can tune up the controls to achieve one.
In other words if you canít tell the difference between good and bad, realistic and not realistic lighting, Mental Ray wonít help you at all.

Names like physically correct lights, shaders, rendering methods, etc. can be quite misleading because although they might be correct to the real life laws that they represent, these elements alone are only parts of more complex and integrated reality that as a whole is missing in the computer world.

Hope this helps

Damn... That's very well said. it woke me up from the hunt of a perfect tutorial :P

Ft

Ash-Man
05-22-2007, 04:23 PM
you cna try www.digitaltutors.com/ products

they have some basic tutorials for mental ray
that should put you on the right path

CGTalk Moderation
05-22-2007, 04:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.