PDA

View Full Version : importing changes name, prob.

monkey-sage
05-18-2007, 05:55 PM
I wrote a script to help me create a basic GUI structure for animators and it writes a script node and attaches it to a character which is executed in a script job. This works great until I need to reference the character in a new scene, then all the "names" of the objects are changed. Does anyone know an easy way to solve this problem?

For the moment I can rename the stuff in the script node, but I would like something that non-melscripters can handle.

Thanks.

Gnimmel
05-18-2007, 09:43 PM
I solve this sort of problem by using message attributes to connect the controls to my rig's top group node. If you add a extra attribute called "MainRootControl" with a attribute type of message, you can directly connect this to the message attribute of your main root control. When you are building your GUI window, instead of using the rigs main root control's name, you can find the rig's top group node and use listConnections to find what it's connected to. This way if you reference in the rig latter, you can still go through the same steps to get the controls names even though they have changed.

I hope this makes sense.

Richard

CGTalk Moderation
05-18-2007, 09:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.