PDA

View Full Version : General Discussion - comments not relating to individual tasks

Kirt
03-15-2003, 09:21 AM
Please keep the general discussions here in this thread and comments regarding individual tasks can be made in their respective threads.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

MaDeuce
03-15-2003, 10:31 AM
Hey Kirt, Could we post a thread to your Alienz folder for convienient access to storyboards, concepts, etc. ? Thanx

Aearon
03-15-2003, 10:40 AM
hey kirt, i'd love to work on the cockpit for that spaceship, i know the spaceship is already in the works, but is that guy also doing the cockpit?

will you be able to see the cockpit from the outside? (i know the windshield is dark and reflective, but will there be scenes where it's open?)

if not, it would be pretty easy to integrate i guess

please tell me what to do =)

Viper
03-15-2003, 01:02 PM
Well, I'm working on the cockpit already (Might something to show tomorrow) but be my guest and try it yourself. ;)

Rice ManX
03-15-2003, 01:16 PM
Ok ive already posted to Viper that ive started and almost finished spaceship seats for aliens so il have those ready when i get back from LA in the next 3 days.

Kirt
03-16-2003, 01:27 AM
MaDuece - You've probably noticed by now that I'm adding concept art threads. I'll add/update the first post in those threads with the new artwork as I complete it. I'll also make a thread that links to the storyboards later on.

fist - Well, it looks like the interior of the cockpit has already started but you're more than welcome to help on any part of it. The views will mostly be inside the ship. So, I imagine we'll have to make a cut away set for the different camera angles. I don't want to shoot through the window because that will probably obscure things with reflections on the glass.

We'll need POV angles for both aliens looking at each other, POV angle for alien2 looking at his instrument panel, extreme closeups of both, medium shots from the front of the canopy (where we can get both in the shot) & POV angle for alien1 looking at his left panel.

This will be more clear when I get storyboards done.

JIII
03-17-2003, 03:39 AM
Hello everyone,

is there any kind of time line regarding when this project will be finished completly I.e. animation/sound/editing/compositing. I really wonder most about the animation. How long will that take? Is 6 months, to a year from now, to short of a time for this, the animation to be completed?

regards.

JIII

Kirt
03-17-2003, 07:48 AM
JIII - We started this in January and I'm estimating 2 years for completion. So, sometime in 2005 we'll release the final.

(info was in the BIG thread ... but it's still a good question. Last time I'm going to answer it though. So, PLEASE READ THE BIG THREAD!!) :D

Swoop
03-17-2003, 03:06 PM
Bad thing is that i cant wait... at all !!! hehe

Anyways... how about a homepage about this project ? Just a short simple page showing off wip and such ? or is that going overboard hehe..

JIII
03-17-2003, 04:53 PM
I think we must be driving kirt mad he has a small website already put up. Just look in the Big thread.

sorry about that kirt I actualy did read the big thread its just that I dont think i memorized the whole darn thing thing.

EDIT look at that we have 500 posts thats more than one third of the wings forum :)

JDex
03-17-2003, 10:26 PM
Holy freaking sh!t...

I leave town for a few days and look what happens... Things get organized... mass props to lildragon...

Well, I noticed the new hero gun posted in the closed starter thread and was wondering what you wanna do kirt. I can continue on it or relinquish it to the new guy... let me know, I'll be happy to start something new if he's got it closer to what you want...

Anyways, welcome everyone... this is gonna kick @ss!!! :buttrock: :airguitar :bounce:

Kirt
03-18-2003, 09:14 AM
JIII - Some would argue that I was mad before I started this project. :D My current state of mind is refreshingly creative though. I can't help but get inspired when I see all the great work that's being done here. This is going to be a nice film that we can all be proud of.

JDex - I think he was modelling it just for fun. Please don't give up on your gun. You're so very close to completion! I like what you have shown so far.

Swoop - I don't think we're ready for a page yet. I want to at least have all of the characters and the storyboard done. Seems premature to go with a site when I'm still throwing up concept stuff and no one knows the full story but me and my wife. :D

JIII
03-19-2003, 05:26 PM
do we have a dedicated texturer yet or is texturing kinda of a free for all/do it yourself kinda thing.

Poco
03-19-2003, 06:45 PM
Hey all,

Questions, questions, questions, I know but here is 1 of mine: Dont we have to agree to some name giving protocol to our models (and pieces of models)?

Like (for me):

"Propanebottlehandle" is a bit long.
"PB_handle" looks better but is it OK for you guys?

JIII
03-20-2003, 02:08 AM
ohh noooooo

i have to rename my whole scene

this tempts me to weld everything together so there is only one name.

Kirt
03-22-2003, 02:01 AM
JIII - I don't think anyone has come forward to say that they'd do textures, but there are some that are capable of doing textures themselves. I'd have to search the original thread to find out for sure.

Wherever possible you should weld the objects together to make it easier to select items when animating them. For example, if we decided to animate Poco's truck we want to be able to select the truck and not a windshield or mirror.

Bad example, but you get the point.

Poco - You should name them something. If you leave it as it's default PolyCube (or whatever it is) we'll have hundreds of them when we start assembling the scenes. It may become a problem.

I suggest an abbreviated name of the object followed by a classification (i.e. A1_rightarm for Alien1's right arm). Something like that. Whatever makes sense to you and our animators.

ckpew99
03-25-2003, 06:36 AM
Kirt:

Id like to help out, not to sure if Im late getting in on some of the action, if all the modeling jobs are taken, can you let me know and if I can join in what would you like me to get started on?
Thanks

Kirt
03-25-2003, 07:08 AM
Despite several people showing interest in our hero, no one has started working on him yet. If you'd like to model him I'd be very happy to see some progress being done. Thanks for your help ckpew99!

MaDeuce
03-25-2003, 06:32 PM
I got a question about Kirts PLE version. I understand you might have upgrade by the time the project is complete and all, but im wondering on PLEs limitations. IE- can we have simle nurbs objects like eyes and hair? Also does PLE support spline curves for the rig? What about dynamics and paint FX. I guess I could also post this type of question in the Maya forum.

Oh yea, if the ALien#1 is 9 cm high than im gonna make baby 5 cm coz thats what the scale looks like, unless you say otherwise. Coz once he is rigged i dont think it can be scaled without a ton of work and redoing expressions.

JIII
03-25-2003, 07:56 PM
deffinentely start working on the hero man. I am way to busy to actually do it, and the other guys who said they wanted it have pretty much disapered.

go for it man

Kirt
03-25-2003, 09:28 PM
Yeah, it seems that several nodes aren't supported in Maya PLE (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51791). :D

But don't worry about it too much. I can preview probably 90% of the models and Ila (or others) can verify that the rest works. I'm shooting for the end of the year to have 4.5 so that'll leave us another year to fine tune and render scenes.

Rice ManX
03-26-2003, 03:07 PM
Kirt that brings me to the question, since only a handfull of us here on the board have Maya (not including me) how could the other help in rendering? duz Maya have a rendering node or somthing? because ive got a pretty powerfull dedicated computer for CG and i would be more than happy to render out the scenes! I will do some research on this topic.

Rotamus
03-27-2003, 11:53 AM
hey gang im still working on the cow model but ive been very busy with other stuff ... i asume u can all relate ;)
ive noticed the updates around the place and u guys are going great :applause:

Swoop
03-27-2003, 12:23 PM
I'm still waiting for a place to drop off the .obj of Jellyfish... so if anybody would care to give me the where and how..

mainly because Kirt hasent replied to my PM yet and i'm getting ready for a format, and dont want risq loosing the model.. since formats always go bad for me ...

Rice ManX
03-27-2003, 03:15 PM
Ya well they all go to Kirt and if he hasn't replied to your emails yet, i guess its cuz he's trying to finish stuff (mainly sketches im guessing) stuff we all need! lol. I guess just keep it for now.

Kirt
03-27-2003, 03:43 PM
unLevel has set up a space on the web where we can upload files. If you didn't get a PM from him with the info it's probably because you haven't added your info to the credits post yet (I told unLevel to send it to everyone listed there).

Sorry for the misunderstandings ... I'm not deliberately ignoring anyone. I just have to prioritize some things if I want to get anything done.

Contact unLevel for the URL and password needed for ftp.

Swoop
03-27-2003, 08:15 PM
Okay.. i just didn't want to add myself to the credits until you got the model.. hehe.. just a mistcommunication :D gonna add myself now :D

JIII
04-02-2003, 04:42 PM
is it just me or does kirts new avatar rock?

Rice ManX
04-02-2003, 09:54 PM
hah, i noticed it a while ago too, its awesome. Make u wanna sit there and just look at it.

Kirt
04-03-2003, 01:27 AM
Those comments aren't going to make much sense after April when I change my avatar again. So, here it is for your extended viewing pleasure ...

http://www.cell2000.net/~users/kirtstanke/images/avatar-crazy.gif

It's mind control. Repeat after me ...

I love CgTalk! I love CgTalk!

Heheheheh :D

Rice ManX
04-03-2003, 04:36 AM
lol, i like it alot..... My dog sure likes it too! (he starts trippin when he sees it.... ;) haha.

polymath
04-14-2003, 08:10 PM
Hi,

I dunno if this has been solved but there is a two part network rendering tutorial at 3dkingdom.org that I wrote. The first half applies to any 3D App capable of network rendering and so theoretically with a VPN, you all can use your computers to render.

but like I said, I dunno if it'll help you guys.

you can read the Maya documentation and set yourself up, or send me the manual and I'll figure it all out :surprised

ilasolomon
04-19-2003, 10:39 PM
YAAAAAAaaaawn!

Kirt
04-19-2003, 11:51 PM
:surprised What's that for? Please don't tell me you're bored already?

JIII
04-20-2003, 02:09 AM
Don't get scared Kirt we arent gonna leave you.

JIII
04-20-2003, 02:19 AM
yet.....................

ilasolomon
04-21-2003, 08:27 AM
no, I meant "whatta slow progression!" ... I'm dying to see models finished!
:beer:

Rice ManX
04-21-2003, 08:06 PM
*all eyes turn on rice man* :rolleyes: no really im not slacking, ive been really busy, and having computer troubles doesn't much help! ;) i hope all of you understand, and Kirt im pretty sure i will meet a end of May deadline and i wish i could show you the changes but my stupid computer won't work......... and like JIII said we havn't left you, yet. :p

Kid-Mesh
04-21-2003, 09:49 PM
ila your an awesome modeler and animator.... are u working on any thing else for this film? :p

And are you going to finish your animation challenge? (hint, hint) :applause:

ilasolomon
04-21-2003, 10:42 PM
are u working on any thing else for this film?
I want to, YES! I will.
And are you going to finish your animation challenge?
I want to, YES! I will! :D

& thanx a lot, pal.

Mcf
04-25-2003, 06:35 AM
hi everyone. i wanted to ask if you guys still need some help??
would be really glad to help you guys modelling these great concepts of kirt. :)

cheers Mcf

JIII
04-25-2003, 09:32 PM
Alienz has just recorded its 900th post. woo hoo.

man we are getting big.

I bet before this is over we will have like 5000 posts.

we have over 1/3 of the wings3d/houdini forums post count.

alas posts dont make a movie back to work "sigh".

Kirt
04-26-2003, 03:09 AM
Mcf - Didn't see the FAQ huh? :D I'll answer it anyway ... "yes."

JIII - post counter. :p

JDex
04-26-2003, 03:38 AM
JIII... I'd be willing to guess that 1/4 of our 900+ are from you... lol

damn, son I think you only had like 500 posts yourself a month ago.

Do you do anything other than sit in this community?

JIII
04-26-2003, 04:00 AM
you would be suprised what I do.
I really don't spend most of my day here.
I have about 5 or 6 diffrent things that I put just as much time into. depending on the time of year.

but I suck at all of them almost as bad as i do at 3D.

The only one I am proud of is like my singing which will get me into college. someday I am gonna make a short film. The Opera singer who did 3D.

The cool thing about Cgtalk is that when I do things that allow me to sit down like read/sing etc. I can post while doing this sorta thing.

any way yeah I do post alot but its not all THAT time consuming.

and I do try and avoid useless posts, most of the time.

unLevel
04-26-2003, 03:21 PM
*clears throat*

meeeemememeeeee

hehe...

wish I could sing.....good....

Mcf
04-26-2003, 05:00 PM
read it now afterwards kirt. will be fine to help you guys :)

i could also offer a quite limited but good working 10 MB webspace from my provider. just in case its urgent or really needed its all yours guys!

just write me an email to martin.frenzel@chello.at or a pm so i can upload the pic for you. :cool:

so lets get to modelling :bounce:

cheers Mcf

Rice ManX
04-27-2003, 06:30 PM
Hey MCF do have a plan on what you want to model? because since i havn't been very active lately, maybe you would be willing to continue what ive already done on the spaceship!?!?! i can also talk you through what kirt had told me, like, i dunno how long ago. Don't email me because my computer is broke, still am trying to fix. but if you have aim maybe we could talk over that!?

Mcf
04-27-2003, 09:09 PM
well i'm trying to modell the trailer right now, but i am more than happy if i also could continue your work. you already did great job on it so far so i appreciate your offer. ):bounce:

what kind of 3d app you're using? would be great if you send the file to my email account.. it holds up to 10 mb so i dont think it will be a problem (no hotmail crap :D).

cheers Mcf

Rice ManX
04-29-2003, 03:25 PM
Ok thats cool, i use 3D Studio Max 5.1 umm youl have to wait on that email my comp dosn't work so i have no way of getting to my email. But i have all my work on a seperate computer which i can post on an FTP? hopefully i can fix my stupid computer soon.

Mcf
04-30-2003, 03:36 PM
going to send you the my ftp infos if i get back my own computer in some hours, so you can send me the file via my ftp :)

cant wait to get my hands on modelling the ship
:bounce: :beer:

cheers Mcf

Rice ManX
04-30-2003, 08:05 PM
Ok sounds good, its pretty much done, just a few little things which i will talk with you about ok?

Kirt
05-04-2003, 09:59 PM
Just a heads up on my current status ...

I'll be busy the first week in May doing some freelance work. Sorry, I've missed my first deadline on the storyboards. :hmm:

A bit of info for anyone interested in starting a collaborative project, make sure you have your concepts and storyboards 80-90% complete before announcing the project. My biggest mistake so far ... :thumbsdow

Looking forward to trying to catch up this month. Wish me luck.

ilasolomon
05-04-2003, 10:18 PM
wish you luck! http://207.219.13.92/ila/temp/bouncy/bouncy8.gifhttp://207.219.13.92/ila/temp/bouncy/bouncy7.gifhttp://207.219.13.92/ila/temp/bouncy/bouncy6.gifhttp://207.219.13.92/ila/temp/bouncy/bouncy5.gifhttp://207.219.13.92/ila/temp/bouncy/bouncy4.gifhttp://207.219.13.92/ila/temp/bouncy/bouncy3.gifhttp://207.219.13.92/ila/temp/bouncy/bouncy2.gifhttp://207.219.13.92/ila/temp/bouncy/bouncy.gif

unLevel
05-04-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Kirt
A bit of info for anyone interested in starting a collaborative project, make sure you have your concepts and storyboards 80-90% complete before announcing the project. My biggest mistake so far ... :thumbsdow

boy, you said it!

oh, and good luck!

it seems a bit of freelance work has taken me away from my own project, too...maybe I'm just not working hard enough? :wip: :wip:

Brettzies
05-05-2003, 12:52 AM
:thumbsup: hi, i just wanted to say that i'm very impressed with what you guys have done so far. nice to see how organized things got here all of a sudden too.

JIII
05-05-2003, 02:31 AM
That would be thanks to grand generaiissimo Kirt, and his right hand man high supreme commandant Ila.

koinu
05-13-2003, 06:50 PM
Kirt & Gang,
MaDeuce sent me this thread and I would be very happy to model/ texture different models. I have looked thru the threads and I have gathered the Art Folder. The Trailers seem right up my alley, so as to end this I will say that I am getting started now...
Kirt, Love the concept art and storyboards....
koinu: Gerald

Kirt
05-13-2003, 10:04 PM
koinu - Yeah, I just noticed that you added an image to one of the other threads. If you're starting something new, you should make your own thread. It's easier to track individual progress.

I'd go ahead and delete that post and start a new one. Oh ... and welcome to the project :wavey:

koinu
05-15-2003, 05:38 AM
Wondering if there are any other concept pages for trailers you perfer? Also, secondary space ship designs??? Trees too, will look at the park concept to get a better feel for the trees.
BBQ's?? Park benches and picinic tables, etc props?
Gerald

Aearon
05-15-2003, 07:35 AM
Hey guys... just to bring another topic up for public discussion ;)

while i was sending cut'n'paste the space ship cockpit for some animation tests, the problem of sharing work between different apps came up...

how do you guys think we should handle this. I for one would love to do the texturing and lighting on the space ship, but i don't think everything will transfer well to maya, especially since i'm using brazil area lights and such stuff, it wouldn't be a big problem to switch to standard stuff though... but i guess there will still be a lot of tweaking going on in maya to get the same or similar final look someone gets in another app

the app most used besides maya in this project seems to be 3dsmax, so does anyone know how well the export functions of 3dsmax work? what does the .obj format contain? can you save all sorts of scene information in there? are there any free plug-ins that might work better than the builtin export tool?

lots of questions that need answering before i do anything other than modeling on this one :beer:

koinu
05-15-2003, 07:47 AM
Not sure if max saved out with the shaders.... I'm using Maya 4 and can export the obj.'s with textures....And check highend for the plug-ins. Other than tha I'm not sure. slice56 is working with both apps. and knows more..

ilasolomon
05-15-2003, 08:48 AM
use FilmBox FBX format from Kaydara ... the plugin is free & available for MAX, MAYA, LW & XSI ... here:

http://www.kaydara.com/partners/sdk/fbx/index.php

Aearon
05-15-2003, 10:14 AM
thx for the tip ila,

i just tried it and i think it should fit our needs

it stumbled across some max specific features when i exported my scene, but it still worked in maya, all we'll have to do is fix the scale

I'll send cut'n'paste another version of my model using this format, with his feedback I'll rescale my model in 3dsmax so it comes out right in maya (fitting the character models)

I guess this is what everyone using a package other than maya should do to make the process smoother (?)

CuTnPaste
05-15-2003, 12:41 PM
Yes....ILA is right... Filmbox is a great software...I've used it to make a Short Movie with motion capture system....very good.

The FBX format make the translation from the various software....but I doubt that it works with complex character setup.
Is it right?

I think it is usefull to translate model without use OBJ format...

CuTnPaste

CuTnPaste
05-15-2003, 02:27 PM
KIRT + ILA + FIST : hey men...I'm looking inside the cockpit model imported in fbx format....

...well...there are 100000 objects with names like "box12" "torus10" and so on....pratically no usefull hier is present....

Do you think the model like cockpit need to be setup-ed by some modeler? (I mean....complex objs is like characters)

http://paolodaolio.supereva.it/tmp/hello.jpg
[nottoshabi rig]

Thank you

CuTnPaste

Aearon
05-15-2003, 03:24 PM
lol sorry man.. one of my biggest faults when modeling

I'll look into this right now... it's not as much as 10k objects, more like a hundred, so it won't take too long ;)

*edit*

oh and... what about the model 'itself', does he fit in there? how about the foot-pedals ?

CuTnPaste
05-15-2003, 03:32 PM
ehehe

well...i don't know the proportion between cockpit and alien....only Kirt knows that! :)

For the picture I've scaled the root of the cockpit at 0.05.

bye

good renaming....
p.s. in our company we kill who put random names at the objects...

:)
CuTnpaste

Aearon
05-15-2003, 04:18 PM
hehe i apologize 10 times :)

you're right of course.. but you have to know that i'm not a professional in any way

renaming, hierarchy and coloring is done now
expect mail in a few minutes ;)

*edit*

mail delayed... looks like the hierarchy is causing some troubles with the scaling in .fbx

ilasolomon
05-15-2003, 10:54 PM
well, FBX doesn't translate IK solvers & some minor things. you may check the compatiblity list in kaydara site.
hey i see rigging errors in alien1 ! what rig version is that ?

koinu
05-16-2003, 04:34 AM
Kirt,
I am in need of the RGB values for the colors. If you can do this I'd be very happy....... Hope the freelance project is going fine for you also..
Gerald

CuTnPaste
05-16-2003, 08:20 AM
ILA : you say "

hey i see rigging errors in alien1 ! what rig version is that ?

" regarding the picture of alien 1 in the cockpit?

It is not your Alien1....looking under the pic....it is nottoshabi rigg....

about the errors...looking at

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51791&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

CuTnPaste

ilasolomon
05-20-2003, 09:05 AM
I think....emmm...I think we need a .... emmm... Storyboard!....for knowing how much details we need in models & where. ;) dear?... could we?
& it's not necesseray to expose the storyboard in public.

CuTnPaste
05-20-2003, 09:29 AM
Yessa!!

We made a 10-minutes shortmovie with my company called "Puppets" (it will be released asap) in 3D with motion capture tecnologies and Maya + Filmbox softwares.
A big phase of the project was analyzing the storyboard to extract all possible problems and all necessary technical features.

It was heavy and slow phase...but it was a fundamental step to the final result.

So....I think ILA's right.

CuTnPaste

koinu
05-21-2003, 06:33 AM
Kirt we are starving here..........................................................

Kirt
06-02-2003, 07:26 PM
:argh: ... I don't think I'll be entering the next CGChallenge, just so I can get some of those boards done. I know I know I know ... I'm kicking myself daily for starting this project way too early.

ilasolomon
06-02-2003, 07:29 PM
me2!

hmmm,....maybe not!... ;)

Aearon
06-02-2003, 07:48 PM
same here if i happen to like the topic..

i guess this thing will only really kick off with the boards ready, shouldn't be a problem(?)

unLevel
06-02-2003, 10:08 PM
way too early. [/B]

yeah, kirt, I am too:rolleyes:

maybe if we write that guide, we can put that in there?

btw, when can I talk to you bout that?

soneone
06-12-2003, 07:58 PM
ok kirt youre right....thats the right place.... please be so kind and state something on the topics ive mentioned in dradamdinosaurs alien 2 thread.

i dont like it to sound harsh at all! dont take it as an insult what ive said! please :)

there are just two things i need to mention....

1) is very subjective and only about my personal feelings.... (im used to say what my feelings are about ...i think for me its the right way to go)... and im feelin kinda ignored by you. that what it is about.
i dont think youve stolen your time and are only here to comment my threads and progression, but i think the model is at a point where i can hardly develope, what is wanted by you, without any comment by you....

just tell me you dont like it if thats the case, but getting no response at all is kinda depressing :shrug:

2) its way more objective i think.... please tell me/us (?) whats the latest state when it comes to concepts.
its confusing....

as i said before.... please take it as constructive crit what it is ment to be... and just to mention it ....im not an english native speaker.... so if somethings seem to be harsh > it isnt ment to be ;)

Kirt
06-12-2003, 07:59 PM
From elsewhere ...
Originally posted by ila_solomon
Kirt, please make the concept threads unique & stick it on the top!
But there are already 4 sticky threads at the top. If I stick all of the concepts threads it may push the regularly updated threads to page 2 (depending on how many threads you have displayed in your viewing options). I really don't want to do that. Modellers can copy the URLs to their own threads if they want. I don't have a problem with that.
Originally posted by sone_one
i have to agree here.... it has become quite confusing. i for myself dont know what you want the hero to be like....

at first theres a concept that got changed and then in the thread of blue cugar you re posting the old concept as a reference?

i dont want to offend you kirt, but if you dont know which one to be modelled you should tell us i think :) for my hero modell i refered to the more stylised one (the newer one :D).... maybe you changed your mind and want the old one to become the modell.... just tell me! :) Good points and I'm not offended at all. There are parts of each of my drawings that I like and I posted the old one in BlueCougar's thread to show the shape of his feet. I'm really not trying to confuse anyone.

What I'd like to see is the modellers take my illustrations and make an excellent model that animates well. I really don't care if there are differences (see fist's spaceship for example), just so long as it doesn't look too odd or doesn't fit with the style. I may nitpick on some little details (i.e. the 3 nostril problem on ila's alien), but that's only because it may strike me as visually odd.

The modellers, animators, texture artists, etc. that work on this with me are artists as well. I'd be rather fat headed of me if I were to ignore their skills and talents and just dictate how I wanted everything to appear. I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to work on this if I did. So, I'm trying to give everyone the opportunity to use my illustrations and ideas for inspiration to put out some excellent work.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's how most of the studios work as well. Check out the "Art of ... any film" book and you'll find that the concept art only resembles the finished product. The final models, set designs, etc. are created by the modellers not the concept artists.im quite confused and i dont like the fact you havent made a statement on my model.... just wanna be honest and not offensive.... hope its "takeable"
I saw that Ila had already commented on your model and I really didn't have anything else to add at this point so I didn't. I'm sorry if you were waiting on a critique from me.

The reason that I made Ila modelling supervisor (other than his expertise) is so that I wouldn't have to comment on every model after each update. If you need additional comments, just ask him. Ila's a very generous gentleman, I'm sure he won't mind helping you out with your model.

I do look at everyone's threads and check for updates frequently, but I don't always have the time to make a comment right away. If I do see something that is really off or if I have an idea from your progress then I will make it a point to speak up.

Please don't get discouraged ... if anyone else has any concerns please feel free to post them in this thread. If not, then just keep working and updating. I'll chime in when needed ... promise.

:beer:

soneone
06-12-2003, 08:08 PM
ok thanks thats what ive been in need of in some way :)

now everything is clear again and that is what i like circumstances to be :beer:

no need to reply on my post above.... you allready did :) thank you.
ive havent had a very good feeling to have to tell you but theres been no workaround anymore in my opinion. now i know whats going on and im happy that these bad feelings are gone now ;).

oh and one thing to add.... thnks for the opportunity, workin aside pros :) (imanewbie :)) on this project. you did and are doing a great job

Kirt
06-12-2003, 08:17 PM
oh and one thing to add.... thnks for the opportunity, workin aside pros :) (imanewbie :) ) on this project. you did and are doing a great jobI hate to be the one to tell you this and I can't really speak for the rest of the talent here ... but I'm no pro and I think most of us here will say the same. FYI - If you didn't catch it earlier. I work at a bank and this is my first time directing anything other than getting my kids to clean up their rooms. We're all learning. Thanks for the kind words, but I'm not doing any greater than everyone else here. :thumbsup:

Now get back to work. :D :wip:

soneone
06-12-2003, 08:34 PM
FYI - If you didn't catch it earlier. I work at a bank and this is my first time directing anything other than getting my kids to clean up their rooms.

oops :eek: hehe i thought youd be workin in this bussiness the whole day when lookin at your profile on the expose site and your homepage.... my fault ;) (btw....what a waste of talent :D)

but i think it doenst matter at all... there are other things, why im considering someone a pro.... you get the point i think :)

Now get back to work.

be sure ill do :D

ilasolomon
06-12-2003, 09:10 PM
...If I stick all of the concepts threads...
Yes kirt, that's right, so that's the reason I asked to put all the concepts into one & unique thread for faster access. :) anyway you are right, modelers probably copied the needed concepts in their local storages. just for new comers. :thumbsup:
[hey, I don't know your children's name yet!]

& to the modelers: I'm more man of ACTION rather than THEORY, so if you've encountered a major problem, you can send me your mesh so I can examine it, or at least submit clean screenshots! :D thanx. (damn! remote/offsite directing is HARD for me!)

Kirt
06-12-2003, 10:56 PM
btw....what a waste of talent ... my boss would argue that I'm very talented at my data processing job as well. :D I must be doing something right there, I can process accounts for 19 full service branches and we're a billion dollar bank as well (I didn't raise the billion dollars myself, but I've been around for sometime). *snicker*

:shrug: Whatever ... I don't know how these things happen, I just somehow ended up in this career path. Benefit of being both analytical and creative I suppose.

[hey, I don't know your children's name yet!]
Maybe I should be more protective of the info I provide. I mentioned them all in one of my 1300+ posts.

Go search. *laughs hysterically* :D

RockinAkin
06-13-2003, 06:17 AM
Hi Guys.

I just wandered into this forum completly by chance and saw what you all were up to, and I'd really love to take a shot at modeling your space-ship concept in the "beginning" thread.

I consider myself a near-expert level modeler, and an intermediate texturist, so I believe that I can produce something of film quality, and it'll be up to you if you want to use it in your short or not.

Just PM me if you're interested.

:thumbsup:

-DivideByZero-

Kirt
06-13-2003, 06:47 AM
:wavey: 0/x

translation = "Hello DivideByZero"
Answers to commonly asked questions (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56302)

It's not "if we're interested" ... question is, are you interested? If "yes", then go for it. We're waiting for your first update.

RockinAkin
06-13-2003, 05:17 PM
Alright, sounds good.

I just saw a couple of other ship WIPs posts here, so I hope I'm not stepping on anyones toes here by volunteering. :shame:

Kirt, I dont want to be a hassle, but have you got a page or something setup where I can see any of the concept sketches you've made of the ship so far? Or any other way i could get them?

Thanks,
-DivideByZero-

Kirt
06-13-2003, 05:32 PM
All of the concept art has been posted on this forum.

The hard way to find it
At the bottom of the index page, change the display settings to show all threads from "the beginning". Then you may have to look back a page or two (depending on what your personal settings for this forum are).

The easy way to find it
Click on this link that I've graciously provided (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49917) :D

Kirt
06-13-2003, 05:52 PM
I added quick links to the Frequently Asked Questions thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56302). You may have also noticed that some of the names listed in the Credits Page (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49943) are now linked to appropriate threads (I'm still working on this one).

Hopefully this helps finding those elusive threads. :argh:

koinu
06-23-2003, 03:53 PM
Kirt and Gang,
Recently I hope you all have seen the post about there being another film called "Alienz". If we need to chhange the name then we need to pick alternate names. I have pondered this and came up with:
- The WayWards: because these alienz seem to be wayward juveniles
- Kids in Space hehe
- Adventures of Zerp and Flang
- The Curious Duo
Just a few.. I'm kinda partial to the first one.
Just a thought

Kirt
06-23-2003, 04:28 PM
Like I said in the other thread ... it's not a major concern right now. However, if we have too :

"Illegal AlienZ" or "CGTalk: AlienZ" might be my first picks.

Cryptite
07-01-2003, 04:17 AM
Phew, I just finished reading the BIG THREAD and now my eyes are melting onto my shirt. I noticed you have about 210,428 people that want to model stuff and I figured that got kinda old. Lucky for you, my talents are with FX (Dirt, dust, explosions, smoke etc.) I know it's still early in the project so I'm willing to wait to do stuff which is goo because I am currently working on that Earth Explosion shot (see sig) so you can look at it if you want to see an example of some of my work. Just a suggestion. You guys might ALL want to watch Lilo & Stitch for some help on animating. I love that movie and believe it to be quite similar to this project.... Anyway, hope I can get a chance to help out here. Very Excited! :D I'll try an do some preliminary stuff though like laser blasts or whatever. Wondering if anyone has attempted the Nurb spheres bouncing around the cockpit shot yet. I have a slight understanding of Rigid Body Dynamics which might be good for that. BTW I use 3D Studio Max 5 so I might need help with conversion between that and Maya... :cool:

Aearon
07-06-2003, 08:32 PM
hey guys... i think we are in quite a quiet phase of production right now, huh? i think a good way to get the ball rolling again is to make a list of small modeling (and other) tasks for everyone. There's loads of props to be modeled.. those things seem like small tasks now, but they still have to be done. I think such a list would be great because everyone could just pick an item when he's in the mood and model away for a few hours, getting another small part done.

just and idea to keep the ball rolling until we have complete storyboards and everything planned out...what do you guys think? :beer:

koinu
07-06-2003, 10:00 PM
fist,
I requested that long ago, Yeah your right we are on this dul phase rightnow.. Kirt has been super busy I understand and I'm willing to wait out the storm.

Aearon
07-07-2003, 02:02 PM
sorry koinu, i didn't notice that. i understand that kirt is very busy right now, that doesn't mean we can't continue working though..

JDex
07-09-2003, 05:09 AM
Ah, well it's been two and a half months since I've visited the wonderful world of AlienZ... I am kind of glad that there is no Gun completed yet... I am still here, still interested in doing things for the project and just hoping to get some time to work on this (not to mention get some hours logged on my XSI investment). I may be in a postioin to do just that soon so look out for a sweet hero gun update sometime in the next 6 weeks...

PS. Was really hoping to see some story boards... muhahahaha :)

Kirt
07-11-2003, 10:03 PM
Here's a topic of discussion:

What do you think if we made the backgrounds more simplified and maybe stylistic in comparison to the main props and characters? Most of the background elements could be composited and manipulated in post production which would greatly increase render times on the main elements.

For example: I saw this really nice short film in the finished gallery by biriba Run Dragon Run! (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70337), which looks like it uses mostly 2D painted sets.

What do you think? Do you like this approach or should we stick to full 3D rendered sets and backgrounds? Maybe 3D rendered, but manipulated like a 2D animated background would be?

ilasolomon
07-11-2003, 11:00 PM
I totaly agree with full 2D painting backgrounds, like Chuck Jones works... but with more detail/shades....hmmm, say it Kirt's Style 2D painting.

ojquammun
07-14-2003, 03:15 PM
Hi to all! I've been browsing this forum and I'm very interested in helping. I have read every post in the first thread and most of the rest, but I'm still unsure of some issues that maybe you can solve here.

First, I'm mainly interested in animation, but you are doing this project in Maya, so it seems max users can't help in the animation part. Am I right? Or are there some scenes you can render with max and composite after?

If I can't help animating, I can do some modelling, and I'd like to do the mutated cows (or only one cow?). Do you have any sketch of the mutated cow/s in profile and front view? Or is it more needed another character/item?

Another one: żare the storyboards finished? I can't access more than a few introductory pages... Are they restricted to the project members?

BTW, I like the introduction with the jellyfish override, but I watched yesterday the short "The Chubb-Chubbs" and it begins very similarly. Have you noticed it?

Thanks for paying attention to my questions. It's my first participation in this forum (I never dare to do any of the challenges), and it would be great to work as part of this team.

And sorry if this isn't the right forum to make the questions, I told you already that I'm a bit confused.

Kirt
07-14-2003, 08:17 PM
Hello ojquammun :wavey:
Let me see if I can answer some of these questions for you ...

Max users are going to be restricted to modelling I'm afraid. The reason is that we're applying animation rigs and textures to the models in Maya. I suppose that Max could be used to render objects that don't have rigs. I'm not sure how this would effect the end product. Someone with experience in both will have to speak up and help me out on that one.

If you want to model one or more of the cow mutations you'll have to make do with what I've provided so far. Right now the priority is storyboards.

Which brings me to your next question ... and the answer is "they're only finished in my imagination." Getting them done on paper and posted to the web has been my greatest difficulty on this project so far. I know everyone is waiting on them and I'm doing my best to get them done inspite of my other obligations (you know, the ones that pay the bills :argh: ).

I have not seen the Chubb Chubbs yet, but I will in a few days when my DVD arrives. I guess there are going to be several comparisons between this short and other existing films now and in the future. However, the similarities are going to be either coincidence, parodies, or homages to other great Sci-Fi (and comedy) films.

I think I mentioned somewhere earlier that my biggest inspiration for the plot was from the film "Men in Black" and many of Chuck Jones' animations from his Warner Brothers years. So, comparisons are going to be innevitable. But, I think the film is unique enough to stand on it's own.

If you have any other questions, feel free to post them here.

ojquammun
07-14-2003, 08:51 PM
Thanks, Kirt. You'll know from me in a few days. Tomorrow I'm going to a business travel.

I think I'll give a try to the mutated cow... I guess I should begin a thread to show my progress... am I right?

Cheers.

ilasolomon
07-15-2003, 12:04 AM
Hi
well, I've seen Chubchubs, no similarities except here we have some Aliens and there they are all aliens in an alien planet! :p
so we have the same similarity with James Cameron's Aliens! :D

btw, it didn't deserve an oscar :hmm:

Aearon
07-15-2003, 08:57 AM
uhm i was also wondering where exactly the similarities are.. you came to the right conclusion ila ;)

ojquammun
07-15-2003, 08:05 PM
Sorry if I didn't express it right (english isn't my native language). I was only referring to the introductory scene, where an alien ship overrides the title credits. In the storyboards, the scene is almost the same, but not with the title. I mean, the similarity is the opening of the film with an alien spaceship override.

I know it's a minor thing, but only wanted to contribute to the originality of this short. Though I know complete originality is a difficult thing.

hope to have explained better

LXStalker
07-22-2003, 02:49 PM
wow guys.. i had totally no idea that this forum exists. i read through the posts and im very impressed!

i know that the lighting tasks are far away but don´t want to wait longer to offer my services on this project.

i´m a lighting artist and i would really like to help when it comes to lighting and the development of the rendered look.
I am able to light scenes in different moods and styles (and here comes the best) without using GI ;)

Kirt, if you need my help, count me in.

Aearon
07-22-2003, 06:56 PM
hey LXStalker, great news.. that would fill another hole in the pipeline. do you use maya? this will be our main application for rendering..

oh and where in germany are you from? :)

LXStalker
07-22-2003, 07:04 PM
yes i use maya... i am currently in freiburg...

here are some examples of my lighting:

http://www.vh3d.com/Bilder/CP02.jpg

http://www.vh3d.com/bilder/gubald10.jpg (this is just a rough WIP)

http://www.vh3d.com/Bilder/SleeplessEstablisher.jpg

Aearon
07-22-2003, 07:09 PM
mh why are some of these not on your website? :P

looking great, very nice pieces of work

LXStalker
07-23-2003, 10:28 AM
fist: this is because i am very slow at keeping my site up to date..

guys: i would really love to play around with different lighting concepts for this thing. it would be great if i could get alien 1 and the ship modell to do some testrenders.. just to do something until the stuff is finished. maybe i can do some nice promotional renders or things like that.
i am able to develop different looks under your direction kirt.

Any good ideas ?

rikrog
07-23-2003, 04:37 PM
Hello folks

i would like to sign in as a texture guy?

i am no expert! but i sure know my photoshop stuff well enough.

cheers

Aearon
07-30-2003, 10:29 AM
and another thing: which maya version will we use for rendering? granted that the production will still take a lot of time it will probably be at least 5.0 right? i only work with max here, but i have access to maya workstations with 4.5 and 5.0, and i want to learn it anyway, so i might port my stuff over and try to get a similar look. i'd love to use mental ray though.. because it will be even more of a standard by the end of the year, being an integral part of 3 mayor applications.

Kirt
07-30-2003, 06:20 PM
We're up to Maya 5.0 now. We'll use whatever the latest version of the software is ... or at least the last version that I upgraded to. :D

I'm still planning on getting the software by the end of this year. I'm not sure how we're going to go about rendering the images and getting them in a format that's usable (i.e. downloadable) for the compositors and editors without sacrificing quality.

I'm crossing my fingers to win the California state lottery so I can build a render farm and host the files on servers in my home (j/k - but it's nice to have dreams, isn't it?).

Poju
07-31-2003, 08:25 PM
First of all exellent stuff everyone and specially thumbs up for Kirt, great directing so far:thumbsup:

And then to questions:

First is there "to do list" coming, props to model and quick sketch of em?

And for second, in big thread was something about other ships(flying sorcers) is there anykind sketch of em or link or something that i can work with?

Here is one i made: -Click here fo flying sorcer- (http://members.surfeu.fi/tero.konttila/Wip/humanoid12.jpg)
Is that useful or do u have something diffrent in mind?

Basicly i'm offering my crappy modeling skills, but with my imagination i need some general shapes to work with.

Kirt
08-06-2003, 10:48 PM
Progress Report - Here we are at the 8 month mark on this project. How we doing? Pretty good considering everyone has their own schedules and real life deadlines. When I started this I figured it wouldn't be that difficult with so many talented artists here on CGTalk.

Overall, I'm pleased with the progress made so far. Getting models completed seems to be as difficult as it is for me to complete sketches and storyboards. :D

Since things have slowed down here, I'm guessing that everyone is on summer vacations, getting swamped with work (my personal excuse) or just waiting on the next step.

Myself and the family will be taking our (much needed) annual vacation next week. A comfortable relaxing week at the beach should recharge my batteries and get the juices flowing again.

I'm taking my sketchbook with me, and I'll be free from distractions of computers, work, phones, & TV. I expect I'll have plenty of stuff to post up when I get back.

While I'm away I hope that work continues here. I'd love to see the artists use their talents to improvise some elements of the models. The sketches I've supplied are concept ... not the rule (Take a look at fist's ship - it's not exact to my concepts, but it fits the style. Exactly what I want).

We need to have the models finished and rigged to continue on with the next step of putting together some animations. I'd like to get the opening sequence done (sound fx & music too!) so that we can use it as a trailer for the film. I have most of these storyboards done (some not posted yet) and the models needed are near complete.

Once we get this film trailer going we'll have an idea of how we're going to work through the problems of renders, compositing and file sharing over the net.

Feel free to add your own personal progress report, experiences, or gripes here. I'll address any issues as soon as I can.

Kirt

unLevel
08-06-2003, 11:25 PM
I would just like to take this time to say that I might have a hosting surprise for you guys in the next month or so....hehe

Kirt, enjoy your vacation, as I shall be enjoying my webdesign work, which people actually want to pay for!!!wheee!!!

btw, ok, I'll spoil the surprise, I want to get a nice big host, like 5 gigs, instead of some cheesy free account, and host you guys up right! I'll also throw in a domain (will ask kirt bout the name when I'm ready) and will host whoever wants hosting who's working on this project.....maybe hhaha

CuTnPaste
08-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Hi,
I'm really lucky to have the office in a paradise city, with the sea and the beach near 10 meters.....btw, I'll take my vacations for 3 weeks.

I'll come back around the 1st september.....I'll try to make some test inside the cockpit...now I've got the cockpit (and the ship)from fist.

:wavey:

So....good relax to everybody.....considering that we made this in extra time....we must relax our brain....

Kirt: Hey....good relax!

UnLevel: Great news!!

bye all

Aearon
08-07-2003, 12:01 AM
yeah everybody relax... ;)

all i'm doing right now is work on all my projects and lie in the sun a few hours each day (i'm living on an island you know, beaches everywhere ;) )

as cutnpaste said.. i sent him a working version of the ship now, ready for animation.. although some details ain't complete yet

unlevel: great to hear that.. any traffic limit on that server?

kirt: great idea with the trailer.. although i still see a lot of loose ends especially when it comes to rendering and compositing. we'll either have to send cd-r's or dvd's all over the place or the guy who'll composite will also have to render the scenes out. OR we'll get unlevel's promising hosting :D

unLevel
08-07-2003, 01:19 AM
I think it's 100 gigs per month traffic....

I would love to sponsor a bunch of artists with free webhosting, but mostly people I know, or people working towards a greater cause, like you guys....

now, I'd also love to talk to kirt about how much alienz would need/domain and such, just got to get someone to volunteer for making the site,hehe....

haven't got the server yet, just working on a project that will pay for it, so don't trash your old host juuuusssttt yet...

Aearon
08-07-2003, 01:31 PM
so cutnpaste.. will we see some animation tests before your vacation? no pressure.. i just wanna know if i and the rest will have to wait another 3 weeks to see some stuff rolling :D

CuTnPaste
08-07-2003, 02:10 PM
eheh

I hope to test your cockpit before the vacation start....

anyway...if I cannot work on it, I'll advise you man....

thanks

... :buttrock:

Aearon
08-07-2003, 02:41 PM
hehe ok great.

advise me ? as in 'teach me the art of animation' ? (j/k) :D

CuTnPaste
08-07-2003, 02:51 PM
Yes....I hope to remember it.... :)

Try to remember to remember to me to remember.... :)

....arf arf...I go to eat the green pill.

:argh:

unLevel
08-08-2003, 01:38 PM
ok, guys those of you who are kinda interested in hosting, can you give me some specs of what you're using already? I'm posting here cause I don't want to host EVERYONE, just those special people....:p

brno
08-18-2003, 03:22 AM
ufff almost three hour reading ;) amazing stuff, this have legs to walk, i would like to help, you can see some examples of my work at my pirate thread http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=772763

The painted, composited backgrounds are good idea, can help doing some composition or modelling some needed stuff for backs, i am not noticing any other models left... lights and textures can't help you either because i am lw native, in animation i could help and since BlueCougar models are Lightwave would'nt wind to give a try to animate it in Motion Builder (wich i feel confortable) whithout compromising Maya

i'll be glad to help in any task, just give me some direction

ilasolomon
08-18-2003, 09:27 AM
Hi there and welcome
You can ask Cougar for the models in LW format but we can't use LW or MB formats in the project, just Maya for animation.
our riggers do the rigging in maya that coudn't be convertable to MB correctly (IK problemo in FBX)
you would like to model that Cat! ;) or some props for the trailer park.

rikrog
08-18-2003, 10:04 AM
guess my cat concepts are not wanted, as the thread has been deleted?:shrug:

Aearon
08-18-2003, 10:15 AM
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72704

if you mean this one.. it just hasn't gotten any replies in 30 days

brno
08-18-2003, 10:39 AM
ok will try that cat ;)

rikrog
08-18-2003, 11:42 AM
oh right... sorry:blush:

Aearon
08-18-2003, 12:00 PM
hehe no worries... happened to me too here

Waywyn
08-25-2003, 01:17 AM
i was wondering if you guys are still in the need of sound and sfx ???

i didnt read all threads and forum so maybe you already have one...

if you like to know more about my stuff visit:

http:www.cellarroom.de

(this link is no spam !!! its just to inform you about my work i do)

thx

Kirt
08-26-2003, 01:56 AM
Waywyn - Yes please! :D We need voices and sound FX for this short still. I've had several interested parties wanting to do music, but I think that's one of the few last things we'll be doing on this project. Voice tracks are needed first.

Read through everything and see if you can get a good feel for the characters. If you can make a few samples for the aliens and our hero I'd love to hear them.

Waywyn
08-26-2003, 07:50 AM
okay, right in the moment i have still some stuff do to, but i think i will post some samples and impressions from time to time.

i guess a short film is not made within a few days, so i think you are not in a hurry soundwise ;)

Waywyn
08-28-2003, 12:36 AM
hey guys....

wether i was not looking good enough or it's one of the few movies about the aliens which are already online. to be true, i didnt had the time to read every thread, so...anyway, here is something i came up with.

i just did a little sounddesign on one of the alien1 rigging video :)

hope you enjoy it...

SoundDesign on Alien1 (http://www.gitarrenlicks.de/alien1_sfxtest.wmv)

maybe there will be a sfx and music thread but i hope it's okay to post this one in here ;)

CuTnPaste
09-01-2003, 08:43 AM
ehehe,, cool! :)

GREAT ANIMATION!!!!!!!!!!!! :drool:

gh gh

shoey
09-03-2003, 12:47 PM
Kirt,

is it too late to join in with the project. I started making alien2 back in may but left for australia for 2 months and figured someone else would've made him by the time i got back. Got some spare time now and was hoping to get back on track with him if its of any use.

Cheers, Phil

Grosserfrosch
09-03-2003, 05:37 PM
I believe Kirt posted elsewhere that anyone is welcome to make a model/rig/whatever. Once he's ready, he'll take the best of them.

shoey
09-03-2003, 06:00 PM
:blush: ooops,

Thanks, i really should try to spend more time reading threads. Cheers.

Kirt
09-04-2003, 09:31 AM
Maybe this has been mentioned somewhere ... maybe I'm just stupid. But, how do you open the fbx files in maya? Maybe the PLE version doesn't allow? Help me guys! :shrug:

CuTnPaste
09-04-2003, 09:35 AM
Did you install the plugin?
Did you open the plugin manager and load it?

Did you make Import (choosing fbx filter)

:)

CuTnPaste
09-04-2003, 12:25 PM
Hello men,

there are a lot of new animations (3) in the ALien#1 thread.
Here the link for the forgetful guys :)

Animations (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=808378#post808378)

ilasolomon
09-04-2003, 01:07 PM
Kirt, I don't know if FBX is supposed to work with PLE or not, but I think it might work with Maya 3 (which you have) so you can import from 3 into PLE easily, I think.
If you faild, then send me the fbx file, I'll convert it to 4.5 maya mb format so you can load in PLE, hopefully. :)

ilasolomon
09-10-2003, 12:59 PM
to Kirt: How is storyboard going? ... and did you solve the fbx problem?

to Cougar: No hear from Lluis, yet?

to the Animators: any progression in RIG and test Animating?! we have to come up with a good RIG, yet. I'm trying to test the aniMan on the Hero...will let you know then.

to other ppl!: no one wanna SHADE our great meshes?!

to myself: what are you about to do now?

CuTnPaste
09-10-2003, 01:12 PM
Hi ILA ,
well....I suppose you've already seen my new animations, so
I'm wainting for pax rigging to test it.

I need more C&C about my animation style for Alien#1....
within 10 seconds...

0 !!

well......I suppose that the animations are perfect!
One of the Animators
:applause:

ilasolomon
09-10-2003, 11:02 PM
yeah your anim was great cut, but we need a good rig, this one has problemos... ;) especialy it sucks in SKINNING, ahhhh, I hate skinning.

Kirt
09-11-2003, 12:54 AM
No, I can't get the fbx file to open in PLE. I also removed my win2000 operating system and previous version of Maya because I was having problems on my dual boot system.

I'm messing with PLE on my work PC now. So I'll need fist's ship in some format that opens in PLE.

Storyboards ... ugh. Nothing really new here. I have some additional ones done but not uploaded yet. Too many projects and webdesigns going on right now.

I wish I could afford to drop a client right now. They're being a real pain in the ass. :argh:

ilasolomon
09-11-2003, 01:06 AM
Doh, ok ... what can I do for you? what's the mesh you wanna open in PLE? where is it? Fist's ship? Sheep's fist? ...

Kirt
09-11-2003, 02:35 AM
fist's ship - I'm trying to design the weapon systems and rear thrusters. I figured it'd be easier to block out a few ideas in 3D than rely on my crappy perspective drawings. :D

http://www.kaistavginski.de/files/projects/alienz/private/ship21fbx.zip

Aearon
09-11-2003, 10:45 AM
i don't agree kirt.. i'm very comfortable with your sketches, just do what you do best ;)

i think a 3/4 sketch and some really basic side/back views would do it for most everything

Kirt
09-13-2003, 03:12 AM
I'm moving my webspace this weekend, so there may be a bunch of broken links to images here until I can get them all uploaded to the new server.

Sorry about the inconvienence.

ilasolomon
09-14-2003, 11:13 PM
plz take a look: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=828430#post828430

ilasolomon
09-16-2003, 12:48 AM
Mates, please tell me the 3d apps which you are using. (home, office, in near future, etc.)

mine: (home and office are the same for me)

Primary: 3dsmax 5.1
Secondary: Maya 5
Additional: Kaydara MotionBuilder 4 (with 1 year license) and Wings3D 0.98

unLevel
09-16-2003, 01:38 AM
:surprised

Primary: Macromedia Fireworks MX and Wings
Secondary: ULEAD PhotoImpact

hehe, I know, I know, stop polluting your threads...:p

Kirt
09-16-2003, 02:53 AM
Primary: pencil & paper w/ Photoshop 7.0 for colors
Secondary: Maya PLE 4.5

Future: Maya 5

Aearon
09-16-2003, 10:45 AM
Primary: 3dsmax 5.1
Secondary: Maya PLE, XSI EXP, Houdini Apprentice

Future: whatever a future job might force me to do ;)

dex_rEvolution
09-16-2003, 07:18 PM
Hey. I was just wondering if there was any more modeling that needed to be done (character / spaceship), or if its all pretty much done up. If there is any left, can u post a link to the sketches that haven't been modeled so I can post a sample up for one of em? If not thats cool, the project looks like its goin good. Peace.

- dex:surprised :eek: :buttrock:

Aearon
09-18-2003, 05:38 PM
take a look at the good old concept art sketches from way back (older than 30days, you'll have to change the 'show threads from...' setting to see them ) and feel free to model anything. or wait for the storyboards :twisted:

ilasolomon
09-20-2003, 12:01 AM
Is this project going to be faded? already there are one or two active members! :-I
Models are almost finished, they need to be textured and rigged, I did a testing rig with the Hero. seems to be good.
But...I say again...we still need more storyboards, Kirt, would you manage to put the storyboards here or in your site in a way that we can browse the frames? not frame by frame, and put more of them please!
I myself have to finished two paid-jobs till next 2 weeks, but my heart is here...I know all of you are busy too, just spend 30 min a day on this, I'll do too.

Aearon
09-20-2003, 03:22 AM
"my heart is here"

word :cry:

let's all quit our jobs and move to some lab to finish this fulltime.

seriously... i think ila is right, we need whatever we can get our hands on right now. kirt maybe it would be a good idea to post what you have. :shrug:

Kirt
09-20-2003, 07:29 AM
I will post whatever is available this weekend. Sorry guys. My heart is here too ... unfortunately, my body has work to do. :cry:

ilasolomon
09-21-2003, 08:49 PM
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73753

Aearon
09-21-2003, 09:25 PM
we need 'Kirt approved' stickers, just like those "P.J. approved" stickers they had at weta for lord of the rings :cool:

sadly, "K.S. Approved" won't work, because that's me and kirt ;)

ilasolomon
09-21-2003, 09:52 PM
:D
Kirt StanKe, Kai StavginsKi, Kenn KlicK

Aearon
09-21-2003, 09:56 PM
well.. so the K won't help us ;)

Kirt
11-24-2003, 07:56 PM
Hmmm ... for some reason the images aren't showing that I've uploaded. I'm working on fixing this, but for the meantime you can change the URL to display them.

Remove 'www.kirtstanke.com' from the URL and replace it with 'kirt.cgcommunity.com' and they should display fine.

Sorry, hopefully I can figure this out soon. Or I'll have to go back and edit all of my post. :argh:

unLevel
11-24-2003, 09:50 PM
they're not working?

is something wrong with the host? :hmm: :surprised

Kirt
11-24-2003, 11:02 PM
It's fixed. Just a minor setback with my URL re-direction.

All should be fine now. PM me if you see any other broken links.

vertex
12-07-2003, 10:58 AM
Hi Guys,

Posted this message in file management thread by mistake.

I have been living in a working hell for the most of the last year, a year with virtually no 3D,

I have now remedied the situation and after looking at the great work you are doing here would love to dust of my skills and help.

My primary app is Max 5.1 If there is anything I can model please let me know.

Thanks

Vertex

osadkid
12-16-2003, 07:16 PM
Ok ,here goes .
Hi my name is Daniel Osadtsuk.I have been working with 3d for 2 years ,i work for a small indie games company which also does recruiting.So i have worked on teams before ,and i do use several modelling packages ,such as 3DS Max ,Bryce ,Cinema 4D and softimage but i have not yet mastered any of these because i have nor the time nor the right computer to do so ,but i have mastered a small 3d program called animator ,i just finish mastering it like yesterd:) .So i can do nice models and animations.So i have been looking for the right project to get into for the last little while and i think this is it ,i recently made the move from the games industry to film ,and i reeally like the choice i made.!!!So i can do some stuff ,but no cloth ,i do character animation but no facial animations.so ,if someone hands me a rigged character or anything really ,ill animate it ,i have good animation skills.So reply soon if possible to osadkid@37.com or i think my email is also at the bottom ,and my website is coming up soon.
Sincerely :Daniel Osadtsuk.

ilasolomon
12-17-2003, 12:26 AM
Hi Vertex and Daniel, and welcome. This is the right place for you.
currently we are on finishing the models, and rigging them and shading them (I hope!) so stay tuned for ferther info.

and daniel I think u can find alien#1 and Hero's mesh, rigged in Maya (mb) format somewhere in the past posts! ... if u r using maya.

osadkid
12-17-2003, 03:01 AM
Sorry Ila ,i dont use maya.but you know how i said i use that small animation prog ,well ,ive mastered ,it so i can do riggs and animate really well with that.so i could make like my own animations as long as you guys send me all the modles ,or i could do seperate stuff and we can composite them together ,i honestly think that would be the best thing to do because i can do my best work within that small prog ,and im getting someone to write a better renderer for it soon (hopefully!!).so yeah thats all.

ilasolomon
12-17-2003, 11:08 AM
But we have no use of Animator friend! :) I mean we can't use your efforts on another software if it couldn't export back to maya.

osadkid
12-17-2003, 05:05 PM
i can export to maya ,but it might not export the animation without a ful exporter ,or you could write a script to import it into maya.but like i said the most effective way to do it is to composite it all together.

osadkid
12-23-2003, 02:11 AM
exactly what the title sais ,is everyone busy or sumthing ,where is Ila????

CuTnPaste
12-23-2003, 08:06 AM
http://paolodaolio.supereva.it/tmp/Aury.jpg

"A Universe of greetings"

Merry Christmas and Happy new Year...

Paolo [CuTnPaste] , Regina and Aurora!

ilasolomon
12-23-2003, 03:40 PM
Hi :)
me busy
BIG Greeting Everybody.
Aurora is so cute Paolo. :D

shoey
01-08-2004, 12:05 PM
Happy new year everyone!!!

i hope that we can get working on alienz again this year, seems a shame to let all the hard work go to waste.

Kirt, let me know if there is anything i can do to help.

jfelrod1960
02-18-2004, 09:45 PM
Have this project come to an end? This has been very educational for me although I'm just a graphics programmer. I don't have the talent you guys have. It is a shame to see it not completed. :sad:

elfling bard
02-18-2004, 11:13 PM
Kirt where are you? It can be a good thing to have a schedule or a template for the way the production should go...So we will have some directions!

Need your input! Like I said in the Alien 2 post. I still on for the music and the vocals. PM me if you like. I eager to talk to you about that!:bounce:

shoey
02-19-2004, 08:01 AM
Hey guys,

I think Kirt's taken time out to bring up his baby, but i'm sure the project is still on, its just been put on hold for a bit.

Cheers, Phil

TheWraith
04-17-2004, 09:54 PM
hey guys, i just started browsing the collaborative projects section the other day and came across this project. if you guys need/want any help, i'll give what time i have. pretty busy with work but i could probably get a decent model out each week. i'm probably best at modeling (since thats what i do at work all day) but could try my hand at animation as well. i use maya 5 and max 5/6. i have maya 4.5 but have long since uninstalled it. i'm up for just about anything actually. i can do dynamics, texturing, modeling, animation and i could try my hand at rigging. but modeling is probably my strongest point followed by animation. even if ya just need me to help with rendering, lemme know :) most of my stuff tends to be on the realistic side so this could be good practice for me as well.

ilasolomon
04-17-2004, 10:52 PM
Hello there, thank you for your precious offer to help this, we all are waiting for more 'what to do' stuff from boss 'Kirt Stanke' :-) haha
He is always busy doing 'Non Alienz related stuff' :-P

Kirt
04-21-2004, 10:28 PM
Are all the characters rigged for animation already? Someone could be doing that while you're waiting on me. Looks like I won't be picking up a copy of Maya anytime soon. Just spent my savings building a new computer (old one was 600Mhz :argh: ). So, I won't be able to help with the 3D stuff for awhile.

I'll be concentrating on just the 2D work and direction of course. Just need to organize my time better so I can get back to this project. IT IS NOT DEAD ... just on a little hiatus.

I told Ila another month or two ... hopefully it won't be much longer.

ilasolomon
04-22-2004, 08:33 AM
Are all the characters rigged for animation already?

I'm afraid some meshes are not even finished yet! ;-P
Anyway, I'm going to pick everything available and transform them to OBJ format. after the trip (that I'm in!)

the Muffin Man
05-28-2004, 06:29 AM
Hiya all :) Great project you're doing.. i'd love to help but I can't do anything 3d at a professional level, yet..

Think i might tag along anyway, maybe use some of this stuff to try and teach myself modeling. Gogo moral support! If you ever need 2d still stuff like image processing for a website or whatever.. i can help w/ that.

props to everyone, i'm cheerin for ya :bounce: :beer:

pearl3d
07-31-2004, 05:49 AM
very cool work ......

bravo and congratulations to all :applause:

Black_Spider
11-20-2004, 11:46 PM
I've had a look through most of the threads, and I'm wondering how you're all set for webspace? I run a webhost that's online 24/7. I can provide webspace on a pretty-much-no-bandwidth-limit.

Lemme know.

trig2
04-05-2005, 06:12 AM
No posts on here for quite awhile. I'd like to know whats going on, sounds like a cool project but all the links to concept art and screenies are now broken. I'd like to get involved if this thing ever gets kickstarted again. I'm an intermediate/newb Max user but there are many elements of this project that I'm sure I could be of some use.

Kirt
04-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Officially, I asked Leo to archive this forum. It's taking up space on CGTalk and I just don't have the time to give to this project at the moment (if ever). Having an open and specific forum for my project was nice but I feel that it's greatly unfair for the other people who are also trying to do collaboration projects here.

So, I'm officially killing the project ... until further notice. Sorry. :cry:

I would like to say however, that everyone who worked with me on this is owed my greatest level of respect and appreciation. I feel horrible that the project is come to this and really wish things could be different.

Hopefully, noone will harbor any ill will against me for this ... I really want to see a Collab project start, go strong and be completed. I just don't see that it's going to be this particular one.

Maybe, it was too great of a project for a first time effort. Maybe it'll be back in the collab forum later (after a lot of things are done on my end - storyboards, concepts, layouts, color studies, etc.). Or maybe I'll have something new and 'simplified' to offer later. I don't know.

Best I can offer at this point is my thanks to all who supported the project when it was active, my apologies for ending it all and my sincerest hope that something may yet come from this at a future date.

Expect this sub-forum to dissappear anytime now ...

ilasolomon
04-07-2005, 11:10 PM
<erased by ila>

ilasolomon
04-07-2005, 11:10 PM
Bah!

[darth vader voice on]

"I've been expecting you Obi Kirt!"

[/darth vader voice off]

Anyway, I knew this would happen sooner or later. [sigh] It was so much fun, so much learn, so many friends. this project made my short started and etc. thank you Kirt, for all things.

(and I have a little bastard alien in my pocket too!)

ah, btw, when is the funeral?!

shoey
04-08-2005, 08:14 AM
Its a shame we never got around to finishing it, I had a great time making my alien and would've loved to see a finished short, but i personally know how difficult it is to keep running on something when there are so many other things going on in life.

Its been a pleasure and best of luck.

Cheers, Phil.

Pjanssen
04-08-2005, 08:56 AM
Having an open and specific forum for my project was nice but I feel that it's greatly unfair for the other people who are also trying to do collaboration projects here.

Maybe it's an idea to give larger projects a bit more space like this project? And maybe even some (limited) moderator functions for the project leaders?
So that there can be multiple threads, without it getting confusing. I'm pretty sure that the Minas Tirith project, or the Shirow project could use it.

It will also give a positive effect to the amount of succesful collaborative projects on this forum, because project won't have to move to a private forum once they grow.

Kirt
04-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Maybe it's an idea to give larger projects a bit more space like this project? And maybe even some (limited) moderator functions for the project leaders?
So that there can be multiple threads, without it getting confusing. I'm pretty sure that the Minas Tirith project, or the Shirow project could use it.

It will also give a positive effect to the amount of succesful collaborative projects on this forum, because project won't have to move to a private forum once they grow.I'm not going to deny that this is a good idea in regards to managing your projects. It worked very well with the AlienZ project. However, CGTalk is not in the business of hosting forums for everyone's collab projects.

The sub-forum here was created a long time ago (and I'll add here that it wasn't by me or even suggested by me ... it was a gift from an Admin, at the time), when membership on CGTalk was considerably lower and at the time there wasn't much going on in the collab section other than AlienZ and a few offers for game mods. There is much more going on here now than what was happening when I first volunteered to Mod this section of CGTalk.

Which is one reason why I asked Leo to remove the AlienZ sub-forum (any day now). The formula just doesn't work anymore. A forum mod would have to be appointed for each sub-forum which isn't the way Leo or Leigh would want to grant Mod status to anyone. A Mod is not a Mod just because they start a project on CGTalk's Collab section. They're much more selective about who they want representing CGTalk, CGNetworks, and Ballistic Publishing. Numerous sub-forums contribute to the messy and unorganized structure of the entire CGTalk site. They have made an effort to reduce the number of redundant sub-forums within the past year. Last thing they'd want now is more clutter. How and who would you choose to decide which projects deserve a sub-forum of their own? I certainly don't like getting the PM requests for new sub-forums here. I'm sure Leo or Leigh don't have the time to make that decision either. Yeah, that's hypocritical because I have a sub-forum for my project, but again ... I didn't ask for it and now I wish I had declined the offer. It's not worth the hassle.
I could sit here and try to argue these points all day ... I hope that anyone reading this doesn't try to push the issue. Because I can tell you now ... it's just not going to happen.

What you can do though ... is manage your project more effectively with in the main Collab forum. You can have multiple threads for your project posted there and you can manage the project in much the same way that I did here without a sub-forum. How?

Use CGTalk to your advantage. There are several features of this forum that can help you manage your project. Thread titles, searching, and subscribed threads. Thread titles for your project are controlled by the people working with you. Have a main thread and layout your guidelines immediately. A new thread can be started, but have all threads relating to your project start with the same format (for example "AlienZ: Main Discussion", "AlienZ: Concept Art", "AlienZ: Modelling", "AlienZ: Rigging", etc.). Notice that each thread title starts with the same 7 character string "AlienZ:" which will make each of your threads easily identified within the main Collab forum section and ... Searching the forum for your thread titles is a rather easy and painless process. It doesn't take much more time than your standard point click navigation process used to get to CGTalk and your project's main thread. You can even save your search results in your browser setting's Favorites list so that you can quickly and easily find all threads related to your project. This isolates your project into a search result that looks much like a sub-forum listing. Subscibed threads can also be used for each of your threads in the Collab section to notify you immediately by e-mail if there are any updates to your project. Or you can set the notify option to give you a once a week summary of all activity.
Again, I'm sorry but sub-forums for new projects on CGTalk is not going to happen. There's just too much at stake in regards to CGTalk's reputation and business. The best way to manage your projects here are to take advantage of what is available right now.

Sadly, this whole AlienZ project is not a great example of success in collaboration. We had some good progress, excellent team work among those involved, inspirational work created by the artists but fell short on the whole "completion" thing. It's the curse of Collab projects ... it's discouraging and heartbreaking. I know from experience ... I've seen it happen to others and now, it's happened to me.

The suckiest of all sucky feelings you'll ever experience. Hopefully you won't ever have to experience this. :cry:

soneone
04-11-2005, 10:22 PM
im sorry this failed kirt... its been a great idea and great concepts ... im sorry cause i disapeared for a long time ... i think somehow its my fault too...

you did a good job afaik kirt!

CuTnPaste
04-12-2005, 07:43 AM
Anyway,

AlienZ was and is one of the best project I ever seen/take part.

:applause: :buttrock: :thumbsup:

Pjanssen
04-12-2005, 08:26 AM
Again, I'm sorry but sub-forums for new projects on CGTalk is not going to happen. There's just too much at stake in regards to CGTalk's reputation and business.
I won't argue with this all, but I want to say that I'm quite disappointed with CGTalk's attitude towards collaborative projects. I mean, CGTalk is the leading forum on pretty much every facet of 2d/3d art, so why won't collaborative projects fit in this?
I find the argument that 'there's too much at stake for CGTalk's reputation' a bit weak to be honest. It basically says 'we don't want to put any energy in it to make it all work and produce cool things'. And yes, when you don't spend any time or energy to this section of the forum, there won't happen any 'bad' things, but on the other side, cool things won't happen too.

But let's not argue about this anymore, we know now what CGTalk can offer for collaborative projects and what kind of cooperation we can expect: not a lot.

Sadly, this whole AlienZ project is not a great example of success in collaboration. We had some good progress, excellent team work among those involved, inspirational work created by the artists but fell short on the whole "completion" thing. It's the curse of Collab projects ... it's discouraging and heartbreaking. I know from experience ... I've seen it happen to others and now, it's happened to me.

The suckiest of all sucky feelings you'll ever experience. Hopefully you won't ever have to experience this. :cry:
I know man, I experienced it on the Minas Tirith project a lot too. People who just stop, without letting you know anything, or start of on their own, all that kind of things. It even happens with CGTalk Award winners and professionals, people from who you wouldn't directly expect such behavior....
For instance, on our project more than 75% of those who joined never produced anything at all....
But on the other hand it's quite a logical thing to happen. You don't have any real contact with people over the internet, you can't call or meet them to ask them what they are doing.
So the fact that projects are managed over the internet totally makes it much easier for someone to drop out without feeling 'guilty' or something.

Kirt
04-12-2005, 11:23 PM
[Ranting to come ... don't read if you're just going to entice me more. This may very well be my last post here in the AlienZ sub-forum]

I find the argument that 'there's too much at stake for CGTalk's reputation' a bit weak to be honest. It basically says 'we don't want to put any energy in it to make it all work and produce cool things'.Please don't take one sentence out of context of my statements to generalize into a distorted viewpoint of CGTalk. You're statement here is in another realm from what I was saying.

CGTalk will not provide individual sub-forums and appoint Moderation status to members strictly on the basis of the creation of a thread in the Collab section. The Mods or "Forum Leaders" are not arbitrarily appointed in such a manner and never will be.

CGTalk does not put the energy into making any particular artist's image or project a success. The work that you see featured on CGTalk is provided by the members and not the administrative staff here. To "produce cool things" is not a goal of CGTalk, we're here to promote cool things.

I'm quite disappointed with CGTalk's attitude towards collaborative projects. I mean, CGTalk is the leading forum on pretty much every facet of 2d/3d art, so why won't collaborative projects fit in this?

But let's not argue about this anymore, we know now what CGTalk can offer for collaborative projects and what kind of cooperation we can expect: not a lot.

Rubbish ... (the polite way of saying that) ... you know if anyone were to actually sit back and come up with a good suggestion to help promote the Collab section instead of bitching about what is not happening with their own particular project here I would be extremely impressed and shocked. In the past I've attempted several times to get artists to work together on projects and (with the exception of "AlienZ") it's always failed to attract any attention. I put a lot of time and effort into the last collab contest here (Evolution) and there were very few participants.

I worked my ass off getting the AlienZ project going when there was nothing here. My motivation wasn't to make something "cool", get front page status on CGTalk (which it never did) or to recieve a special sub-forum to keep it organized (again ... not my idea). My motivation was to try and show, by example, how a short film project could be organized and managed via a forum with talented artists from all over the globe participating.

Even though the project did not get completed, I think it was a success by that definition. In it's height of activity, things were being accomplished and the talent of many different artists showed in a cohesive quality and style. Ila, Kai, Steve, Kenn, Jason, John and other modellers took the concepts to a level of quality that I doubted was possible via the internet.

After all of this, after the frequency of viewers has improved on the Collab section, after the number of Collab projects has improved ... I get a little dissappointed everytime someone says to me that CGTalk doesn't do anything for the Collab section. Never ... not once ... (let me emphasize this) f*cking never did I hear a complaint from someone on the AlienZ team that CGTalk wasn't promoting the project. Honestly, I don't think anyone really cared. We were doing it because it was fun and we were learning something.

I guess this isn't enough for everyone. Some don't enjoy the spirit of working together with other artists and are more interested in the fame and notoriety ... I suppose. :shrug:

Well, if that's what you want ... really. I'm open to your best suggestions (that are not self-serving "plug my thread" requests). Post your suggestions here. (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=230245) What do you think CGTalk should be doing for Collab projects. What do you think would really do it for the community and Collaborators who want to be a part of the next great project?

[Sorry for the rant ... I'm already in a bad mood for having to kill this project. I shouldn't be posting in this state of mind.]

Pjanssen
04-13-2005, 06:25 AM
Well, I won't argue with you about this, but I just want to say that what I wrote above is my opinion and the way the 'policy' of CGTalk feels to me. Sorry that it may have sounded a bit harsh, but the sentence I quoted about 'the reputation of CGTalk' just made me a little angry.

I will write down some suggestions in the sticky thread you've started. I hope that we can make the collaborative section work better together.

ADSIDDU
09-16-2010, 11:06 AM
Hello guys. i saw these talks on a short film story on aliens. If you all like, i would supply with a lot of stories which i had created on my own on various topics like aliens, teleports, mysteries, adventures etc.. My best stories are "Back to the past", "After 2012" and "The Dragon Slayer". If you like to make these stories into an animation film by you all, i would type down my stories section by section. Would you all agree with me? And please don't use some complex words and difficult computer terms as i am a very young 13 year old school boy. I was always dreaming to do some animations but i am not having proper training and i cant do those complex animations on my own. Would some one give me training in those, especially in Terrain Editor and Dark basic.