PDA

View Full Version : Material question

J.R.S
05-17-2007, 11:39 PM
Hey guys, does anyone have any idea how I would go about creating a material similar to this one? I've been modeling the character, and can't for the life of me, figure out how to make the material used on his character model.

Any help would be appreciated.

scrimski
05-17-2007, 11:47 PM
Try a falloff map in the diffuse, set either to perpendicular paralell or Fresnel. This will mix given colors dependant(like cyan and light purple) on the angle of the face normal to the viewer.

J.R.S
05-18-2007, 12:31 AM
Much appreciated. Sorry to ask this, but I'm super new at 3dsmax, and materials in general. I've searched the forum, but I can't seem to find an explanation of how to pull this off, or even what a falloff map is. Sorry for the newb questions, but if you could just point me in the right direction, I think I can figure it out.

charleyc
05-18-2007, 12:59 AM
A really big help with learning what people talk about on forums is the Help file. Max help is really good.

The Falloff Map is a map type, like Bitmap, Noise... For that effect, I would add it in both the Diffuse material slot as well as the Self Illumination slot for the solid part, and for the wings/transparent parts, use one in the Opacity slot. If you adjust the Falloff Curve in the Falloff map, you should be able to get this effect with ease.

J.R.S
05-18-2007, 02:07 AM
Haha, I feel dumb, that was ridiculously easy. Thanks for the patience, guys.

CGTalk Moderation
05-18-2007, 02:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.