PDA

View Full Version : Feedback please, my first Matte composition!

Photoshopped
05-17-2007, 07:57 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new here and just getting into digital Matte Painting. I would greatly appreciate some useful and fair feedback on my first ever Matte Painting completed entirely in Photoshop. A quick warning, this image is 1600 in width, so I am sorry if this is inconvenient for anyone.

The composition used around 15+ photos to complete and is the first of 4 or 5 to be used on my new web site. The scene sees a city in chaos during a natural disaster of the future, sort of thing. Many thanks in advance to anyone who kindly takes the time to help me out. All the best and I look forward to http://www.infinite-studios1.com/matte/volcano.jpgspeaking to some of you on the board soon.

Jason

nickmarshallvfx
05-19-2007, 02:55 AM
Well you've obviously put in a lot of effort, so congrats. The aim of true matte paintings is essentially photorealism. We shouldn't be able to tell its not real. I think you are a long way from that yet, but this shows some promise. The whole thing seems over the top on the highly saturated red. Try being a little more subtle with that. Also, you background volcanos look sharper than the foreground?
Other than that I think you just need to do some colour correction to really make everything look as though it is together as one.

Keep it up, this is a great effort!

Nick

Photoshopped
05-19-2007, 01:01 PM
Hi Nick,

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback and for the useful comments. I appreciate what your saying about some of the points but remember its hard to make something that has never happened or been seen in the real world look 100% realistic as everyone will have there own opinion of what realistic is!

The over saturated colours reflect the fact that the whole area in view is on fire,that there is volcanic lava both in the air and in the background from the volcano and of course in the reflection from the water in front of the city. Personally, I would have expected it to look very similar to that to some extent. However, I think I do need to reduce the red saturation a little as you mentioned. Now I look at it it does seem like there may be too much red in there.Thanks for the comments about the volcano too, as I did struggle with getting that to look right and will re-visit that again.

Thanks once again for your useful comments though and hopefully we will get chance to speak again soon. I might post a re-edited version soon too, so it would be useful to see what you think of that one too.

L8rz,

Jay

Photoshopped
05-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Ok, so here is ny revised version which reflects many changes and hopefully improvements too. I am sure there is also room for more improvements too but as I have another 4 matte compostions to complete as well as sub sections for each composition, I have to call this one a day at least for now.

I hope you all like it and that the improvements are noticable.Speak soon,

Jay

http://www.infinite-studios1.com/matte/volcanoFinalV2.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
05-19-2007, 04:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.