PDA

View Full Version : Challenge issues resolved here

lildragon
03-15-2003, 04:58 AM
here

Edin
03-15-2003, 05:53 AM
Hey Lildragon, great job you guys are doing on these comps... I (and I'm sure many many others) really appreciate it.

Anyways, to my question. I'm not absolutely sure if you answered this but, are we allowed to have pans or zooms in our final composition?

manutara
03-15-2003, 07:39 AM
In the link you posted in the Vfx Guidelines there is a mistake:

Link to: http://www.designstudiopress.com,/

But it should be: http://www.designstudiopress.com/ without the comma (,) at the end

Love aliens. Here is the prove!!! (http://www.vfs.com/~felipev/mmug/ufo_2.avi) This was a class homework :wip:

Nice challenge!!!:drool:

LXStalker
03-15-2003, 10:10 AM
great idea!

i would like to know, if we´re allowed to use an photograph for the backdropimage which is made from different other images ? like a photrealistic mattepainting ? or must it be a normal photograph ?

the other question: are we allowed to use camprojections to do pans ?

thnx!

AlexAlvarez
03-15-2003, 03:53 PM
Hiya,

Glad you like the challenge.

Your background must be a liveaction plate (i.e. photograph).

Yes, you may use Camera Projections and do a pan/dolly.

A.

Lukashi
03-15-2003, 04:28 PM
Ok im a lil bit confused, do all the alien buildings we put on have to be made in 3d or can it be like a matte painting?

Hugh
03-15-2003, 04:29 PM
My first challenge - are we allowed to enter a challenge with two people working on it?

I couldn't find anything on the CGChallenge website about working cooperatively....

Cheers

Max4ever
03-15-2003, 06:04 PM
so.... is it possible to do a team challenge? 2 members.

eVOLVE
03-15-2003, 06:32 PM
I had a look around previous challenges, and it's been done before....

Let's hope the rules haven't changed :)

AlexAlvarez
03-15-2003, 06:33 PM
Hiya,

Lukashi... nope, has to be 3D.

True, in a real world scenario with a locked down camera, a matte painting would be the way to go... but at the same time, I didn't want to ask people to shoot video and track it... this would greatly reduce the number of participants, as evident in the past couple challenges.

In regards to team challenges, I am leaning towards a 'no'... only because from a judging perspective, it would be unfair towards people working alone. So if you want to work in teams, thats cool, but you probably won't win the prize even if your piece is the best one...

A MacVey
03-15-2003, 06:39 PM
this is a long shot down the road, i know that you said the buildings have to be CG but am i allowed to add in a real life miniture model into the scene if i have other 3d buildings?

Hugh
03-16-2003, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the reply about working together...

I'm in this for the experience, not the prize, so that's great - maybe next time, I'll do one on my own...

rendermaniac
03-16-2003, 02:55 AM
Would fjords count? Or gorges? being in the middle of a city I think I will have to do some googling ;)

A MacVey
03-16-2003, 03:15 AM
would someone give the one resolution of the 1.85 aspect ration? i just need to figure out my size of the picture. SOrry for the newbie question though

rendermaniac
03-16-2003, 03:24 AM
divide the width of yuor image by 1.85. This will give you the height you need for this aspect ratio. Then crop the image accordingly. Probably best setting the size of a marquee to fixed in photoshop and dragging it up and down until you are happy.
Or side to side if you have resolution to spare!

1:1.85 is accademy widescreen - a common movie format.

Simon

skello
03-16-2003, 05:28 AM
aargh..cant find any good high res images of canyons....can we use some other kind of landform?

Stimpy
03-16-2003, 07:34 AM
do we have to fully texture the buildings and structures or could we just use camera projection on the static elements ??

clueless in cologne.

Beroc-LOD
03-16-2003, 11:24 PM
Since, I guess that it is nessecary to provide a .MOV file an the guidelines stipulate that it must be in Sorenson compression...... Where do I get the Sorenson Codec from?????

Beroc-LOD
03-17-2003, 06:54 AM
OK, for those of you in my boat.... Dunno how everyone else is doing it, but I finally found a tool that will compress using the Sorenson compression in a .mov format..... it is a pc shareware program called QuickEditor(just do a search in yahoo for it, it is there somewhere). Basically, it allows you to convert an avi, or mov file, or two of em, into one .mov file It has a stupid nag screen, but it works, that is all that counts... oh, and it allows you to take an external sound byte and add it to it, like I needed on my entry.... Hopefully I will have it up as soon as possible...

And, OOOO it looks sooooo good with that... :D

lostpencil
03-17-2003, 06:46 PM
Quick question. Can the animation be a little longer than 5 seconds?

Deepray
03-17-2003, 07:12 PM
hi everybody... this is my first challenge, and i have only one question... i can change the live action photograph with a live action DV shoot? ;)

mmwizard
03-18-2003, 08:32 AM
hi, am i alowed to make my own composition of different canyon pictures???

Hugh
03-18-2003, 09:35 AM
I'm no authority on this, but quite a few people have done this already... (well, two that I can think of straight away - Strike (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50395) and Equinoxx (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50013))

Equinoxx
03-18-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Hugh
I'm no authority on this, but quite a few people have done this already... (well, two that I can think of straight away - Strike (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50395) and Equinoxx (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50013))

but i'm a mod, i can do whatever the hell i please to do :twisted:
seriously tho, i'm not sure if it's allright. guess we'll have to wait for Alex Alvarez to answer this one.

AlexAlvarez
03-20-2003, 06:50 AM
Sure... comp'ing a couple images together is fine... :)

smogchild
04-15-2003, 10:56 PM
made a mistake! I accidently submitted the wrong image to the challenge. I want to remove it but can't seem to do that! I am new to this site. forgive me... I attached a small pic of the image I wish to remove from the current vfx challenge.
Thanks, and good luck to everybody!
reply (smogchild@earthlink.net)

Chris_Wallace
05-02-2003, 01:46 AM
Just arrived a few days ago- way too late to enter myself :(

In any case, how is the voting done?

Chris

Bischofftep
05-07-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Chris_Wallace
In any case, how is the voting done?

As far as I can tell, you rate every entry on a scale from 1 to 5, with 1 being :thumbsdow and 5 being :applause: .

Apparently this isn't how a lot of folks are doing it, though... can any more experienced voices chime in here?

Moderator! Perhaps a little boilerplate at the top of the challenge page that links to "how to vote" might be in order? Do you want just the top 5 ranked 5-1? Or should we only vote once with a single 5? What's the gig?

Also, not to sound whiny, but folks who didn't complete the contest... have an image but no 5-sec animation, perhaps should not get votes? I mighta not done an anim if I knew it would boost my score spending more time on the still! :rolleyes:

Thanks! It was quite a learning experience, looking forward to the next one!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.