PDA

View Full Version : Entry Level Position (to get to TD)

HollyWoodland
05-17-2007, 09:40 AM
I have also posted this in General Discussion but thought this forum would be a great place to try
----------------

Can someone please tell me what is a good entry-level position if i ultimately want to be a Technical Director.
Is Render Wrangler the best place to start? From what I have read I understand that positions like Roto/Prep/Tracking etc are best suited to people who ultimately want to be artists (please correct me if i'm wrong). Whereas I'm looking for something that will help demonstrate my technical skills as well, and set me on the track to learn to become a TD

I have had an interview to be a runner (in London) but was told that I would have to be there a minimum of 12 months before they considered moving me up. (Is this normal?!)

anyway - any advice much appreciated!

thanks
Holly

PS - i HAVE done some research on this so please dont shout at me to use the search button - i just couldnt find anything this specific

playmesumch00ns
05-17-2007, 09:51 AM
What's your experience? Have you got a CV online somewhere? If you're looking for a more technical role then here anyway entry-level positions are often render wranglers, then render or production engineers.

Out of interest where was it you interviewed to be a runner?

HollyWoodland
05-17-2007, 10:47 AM
my CV is here: http://www.holly-woodland.com/CV/

I have a first class degree in Computer Science and have worked as an IT consultant for several years - doing everything from high level IT strategy to large scale development projects and testing.
At uni and in my spare time I have done several graphics projects (including building a ray tracer and fluid simulations). I have taught myself the basics of Maya, MEL scripting and developing with the Maya API. I am also learning renderman shader writing and python scripting.

My biggest problem seems to be that I have too much of the WRONG experience (ie no production experience) although i have found that many people in the VFX/Post industry have a strange idea that corporate experience involves highly organised, well-planned projects with excess budget.

I interviewed with Cinesite - they were very nice and honest with me about the role although they were concerned that I would find it difficult to adjust to such a low-level position after having done senior developer/team lead type roles in the past. I think I would be fine with that if it was only for 3/4 months but when they said min 12 months I got a bit concerned. I had previously applied to the big studios as a software developer but equally I don't want to get pigeon-holed as nothing more than a coder.

So I'm in a bit of a difficult position - being both over- and under-qualified :-(

PS - sorry for the essay!

playmesumch00ns
05-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Hehe cinesite.

I'd send your cv to the big studios in London, with a cover letter saying what you just said above, and that you're interested in a junior r&d position. If you can get to interview (with your experience shouldn't be too difficult) you should be able to explain exactly what it is you want to do.

'TD' in london usually means either FX TD or lighting TD, which is not what you're after by the sounds of it.

neuromancer1978
05-17-2007, 06:59 PM
Sorry to hijack this Holly, but I am interested too. However I do not have the experience in a professional area, nor a degree but attending school. I have been constantly learning Renderman, as well as making a custom pipeline for Blender to Renderman (more of a project to learn the RiSpec and learning how to get Blender data and other open source tools to produce a final professional quality render).

I have Maya experience but again using Liquid for Renderman export. Not much programming skill but learning quickly (required if I want to get a Computer Science degree), but at least understanding it more now.

Laika is right here and am working on a demo reel, despite that I am at least aiming for an entry level position. Working on a demo reel but I find it hard to locate a good lighting/rendering TD reel as a good example.

Just some thoughts I ponder over. Advice?

leigh
05-18-2007, 01:00 PM
I agree with playmesumch00ns - it doesn't sound like a TD position is what you're after.

If you're interested in software development and such, I think they're currently looking for some folks for that here at Framestore.

HollyWoodland
05-18-2007, 04:30 PM
thanks guys - I was aiming to start off in software development as it seemed the natural step with my past experience etc but was hoping eventually to move away from the purely coding side of things.

Leigh - I have already applied to Framestore but haven't heard anything back yet - thanks for the tip though

mr Bob
05-19-2007, 02:15 AM
Hey Holly...pm me with your private email

B

CGTalk Moderation
05-19-2007, 02:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.