PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading hardware?

kelasa
05-17-2007, 05:49 AM
I have began work in Z-Brush. I have an exported displacement tif of 2048 x 2048 that I'm using on my texture in maya.

I have a fairly powerful computer or so I thought. I've been trying to render at the lowest setting and I'm crashing / freezing Maya everytime.

If my computer isn't strong enough for what I'm trying to do, what part of it can I buy new hardware for to make it so my renders won't take so long and crash Maya?

LRussell
05-17-2007, 07:18 AM
I am having a similar problem, Mental Ray continually crashing, (Maya 8.5) in a scene using Pshop/Zbrush textures and displacement maps, this also after following the steps described for displacement maps on Zbrush Central and Digital Tutors.
Apparently Mental Ray does have problems with Tifs you have to convert it to a map file. I will try and find the link for this bit of software

Ironically the same scene when replicated (though labouriously) in Maya 7.0 renders fine with Mental Ray

I am stilll trying to find a solution too, I have hunted through other forums (3dbuzz, digital tutors and Autodesk) and I am not sure even upgrading to 4GB Ram is going to help. There appears to be a white paper on improving Mental Ray memory use, on the old Alias site but I cannot access it...

PC spec
2 x Dual Threaded 2.8Ghz Xeons
2Gb Ram
Nvidia Quadro 4500 Graphics card

CGTalk Moderation
05-17-2007, 07:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.