PDA

View Full Version : Animation Acting Challenge #8: Post Progress, Start May 16th - End June 18th

SirRon
05-16-2007, 06:39 PM
Animation Acting Challenge #8

EXTENDED DEADLINE to June 25th

There are two topics to choose from

1. Athletic Event (you can choose any sport or Olympic event)

Or

2A. Audio Clip from The Last Starfighter (download attached file or follow link)
Alien: "The last starfighter...."
Xur: "Is dead! The last starfighter is dead! Nothing can stop us now. Ahead full! To Rylos! "

For higher quality of audio 2A (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UGVL728H). Note: It will ask you for a confirmation code and a a little bit of time before downloading.

2B. Audio Clip from Grosse Pointe Blank (follow link)
Mr. Newberry: "Been doing with your life?"
Martin: "Ah, ah, professional killer"
Mr. Newberry: "Ah, good for you, it's a growth industry"

Audio clip for 2B (http://www.moviewavs.com/php/sounds/?id=bst&media=WAVS&type=Movies&movie=Grosse_Pointe_Blank&quote=industry.txt&file=industry.wav)

Rules
Read me first!
- Have fun animating!
- Use any rig and any animation software you like.
- Animate with any medium (3D, 2D, or stop-motion)
- You're open (and encouraged) to post your progress here if you'd like any comments and critiques.
- No time/frame restriction on the animation. Just remember that the more complex it is the longer it will take to finish. Make it by the due date!
- You can do both topics if you have the time. Either separately or as one animation if possible.
- You may add time before and after the audio clip, but please do not change the timing of the audio.
- A separate final submission thread will be created. Post your final animation there. I'll make the thread a few days before the deadline.
- Textures and lighting are optional. Playblasts are acceptable. Just make the acting clear and easy to see.
- Use any resolution and aspect ratio... but keep the file size manageable. Nothing over 20MB definitely. As for codecs, preferably one that's common like quicktime or windows media. My recommendation would be Quicktime.
- When posting progress and for final entry please state which topic you are animating.
- Adding music is optional, just don't make it distracting.

We'll do this for about a month (May 16th - June 25th). Then we'll vote (June 26th - June 28th). We'll vote for the best animations AND suggest topics for the next challenge in that time.

Feel free to ask questions about the challenge. We're still looking to improve how the challenge is conducted, we're open to suggestions.

Tips:
-Don't know where to upload your final animation or WIP? I recommend using www.vimeo.com. Free to register. You get to watch a streaming flash video and if you're registered, users can also download the original video source.
-The audio can also be set to mono instead of stereo, that may help keep the file size down.

The winners of the previous challenge can be seen here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=4391845&postcount=30).

EXTENDED DEADLINE to June 25th
SHORTER VOTING SESSION (June 26th - June 28th)

khet13
05-17-2007, 02:35 AM
mmmm....athletic event...I feel very tempted to submit a clip that I just finished with LoTekK's model hehe.

here it is boxer (http://www.khet13.com/web/animation/clips/boxer_2x.mov)

but nah, i think im going to do another 1 from scratch hehe. :)

Stellats
05-17-2007, 07:45 AM
I'm in! Although a tough one to decide....sports/dialog...It will deffinately be fun to finally participate in one of these instead of watch from the sidelines!

jmvadell79
05-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Hi everyone!

A few weeks ago i started an animation for de #7 acting challenge (projectile) but I'm still in progress and i'd time to post finished animation there.

The animation is about a football (soccer) referee, maybe now I can post it in the new challenge (athletic event), it's is possible??

Well, in any case i'd like to post the progress of my animation here, I've just finished an advanced blocking with lineal curves, now the next step is to smooth the curves with graph editor, smooth arcs and siluettes, overlaping and all the secondary animation (props included)...

This is the link to the advanced lineal blocking!
http://www.3dpoder.com/laopresion3d/BLK_LINEAL_linier_jodido_v15.mov (http://http://www.3dpoder.com/laopresion3d/BLK_LINEAL_linier_jodido_v15.mov)

Feedback pls ;)

jmvadell79
05-17-2007, 10:47 AM
Ups, sorry for the link.

Check this:

http://www.3dpoder.com/laopresion3d/BLK_LINEAL_linier_jodido_v15.mov

blakboks
05-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Hey jmvadell79,
That's looking good even in linear form. Did you roto the motion at all, or is that all "from the mind"?
-Chris

Glenfx
05-17-2007, 01:14 PM
Is there a link for the model everyone uses?, ive seen some that are extreemly basic, and was curious where everyone finds the rig.. even animation mentor students use that one.

Would be great if in the challenge there is also links for the rigs for maya, 3dmax, xsi, etc so we all have kind of the same thing to animate with.

jmvadell79
05-17-2007, 01:51 PM
blackboks: well, I filmed to my self acting and i've used that video and other things as references, but I've not retoscopied anything. I think is very important filming yourself acting because you can see some little things you cannot keep in mind, for example, when the char stops after running, there are some llittle tics in the feeth... sorry if my english is not so good, i hope you understand me.

glenfx: sorry but I don't know if i can share this rig, I'm afraid it's not possible.

blakboks
05-17-2007, 02:43 PM
Yeah, actually the way he comes down on his right foot (toe first) is what gave it away for me. Well, that and the way he's looking down at his landing spot. It kind of gives it a softer feel to it than shall we say 'cartoonish' keyframe animation. There's also quite a bit of movement in the holds, which is typically another giveaway of rotoscoping/video reference (Not that it's a bad thing, it certainly helps to give it more life and character). It looks good, but there' seems to be a style difference between all of the animation up to the point he gets hit in the groin and afterwards. Maybe adding a little bit more motion to his hand when he holds it out would help.

Pau3d
05-17-2007, 02:58 PM
Molt booona Juanmi!!!

Congratulations!!!

This is a very good work!!

jmvadell79
05-17-2007, 03:21 PM
thanks for your comments blackboks :thumbsup:

Dave_Hingley
05-17-2007, 04:25 PM
I would be interested in this. a month sounds like a fair amount of time to make this in.

VM
05-17-2007, 04:35 PM
ammm, did you get the sound from an old vinyl? :D hihihihi

anyway, I think the sound is not exactly challenging for an acting shot. well, maybe anything could be challenging, after all, but this here audio... it's like animating to a line in star wars... apologies to them millions of star wars fans, but star wars, besides having cool graphics (and a place in history), is an incredibly dumb movie. so is this line... it's not funny, it's not smart... it's not realistic - it doesn't imply a real context, it has no subtlety, nothing juicy to get out of it. honestly, it's just like star wars. ok, sorry for the crit, I couldn't help... my bad.

VM
05-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Hey, Juan Miguel, very nice animation, up until he gets hit by the soccer ball. and then the pose could be more clear, I guess, and even if it makes sense to sort of freeze his movements, it feels a little strange. maybe it's the pose, maybe the fall - not as detailed as the rest of the animation... but since the idea itself is a little cartoony anyway, I think you should give more impact to that soccer ball hit & character reaction.

About video - I think animators should use video for acting shots. Doesn't matter how you use it, as long as the result is awesome ;) There's no way you can be naturalistically spontaneous while thinking about what you're doing at the same time...it's against the logic of natural acting. But one can analyze one or more video references and see for real what happens with a specific gesture. You still need to understand body mechanics anyway, and apply the principles of animation, in order to get the stuff properly out of video and make it fit onto the character, and work out the details, which is where the real difficulty is anyway... and you get to learn a lot from this. And you can still make stuff more cartoony, on top - like exaggerated: fluidity, poses, overlapping... (of course, this is valid only if the animation needs to be mostly naturalistic, not.... mostly wacky or somethin')

LiannaS
05-17-2007, 06:05 PM
I can already see some good potential for a funny little clip here. Unfortunately the class I'm taking isn't quite at this level yet, we're still working at bouncing balls and making flour sacks jump about. Anyone know where there's a good beginner rig that I could maybe play around on? If I can figure out how to teach myself a little more about the techinal parts of animating in maya before the due date I might enter just to get some good feedback and for practice.

Della
05-17-2007, 10:10 PM
Hey GLEN FX,
I believe the rig you are talking about, the one that appears on a lot of animations, is a free one called: LOW MAN....
from here: (lichiman)
http://lichiman.aniguild.com/

anmKevin
05-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Hey Lianna, use Taylor's Robbie rig. It's a good beginner's rig. You should be using it soon anyway for a walk cycle assignment.

And I agree with the comment about the sound clip being kinda lame. Even the quality is terrible.

LiannaS
05-17-2007, 10:29 PM
I'll check it out, thanks Kevin!

MoutMout
05-18-2007, 12:25 AM
Hey it starts again...hope I'll have time to finish it this time.

The audio clip seems great maybe I'll try with it.

Good luck to everyone :bounce:.

SirRon
05-18-2007, 12:27 AM
Quality of the audio is bad? Hmm.... Well I did have to turn it to an mp3 to reduce file size so I can attach it to the post. but listening between that and the wav I can't tell the difference. I'll look for a place to host a file and you can tell me if it sounds better.

As for the acting quality of it, eh... I'm bound to pick a clip that doesn't strike a chord with people. That's what the 2nd option is for. If that one doesn't turn out then at least I tried twice :)

Glenfx
05-18-2007, 04:27 AM
Hey GLEN FX,
I believe the rig you are talking about, the one that appears on a lot of animations, is a free one called: LOW MAN....
from here: (lichiman)
http://lichiman.aniguild.com/

That is the one. Thank you very much

sinbad
05-18-2007, 11:51 AM
I agree that the audio clip lacks clarity and has a limited emotional dynamic, but what the hell, its a challenge & will test the animator to get some life out of it. Besides "The last starfighter " was a classic teenage book and film...

p

SheepFactory
05-18-2007, 05:55 PM
The audio clip is quite horrible both in sound quality and acting range. It has music in the background and static noise. Also it doesnt make any sense. In the future I think you guys should find audio clips that has a closure and doesnt feel like its just the middle part of a longer dialogue. Its a challenge right but ultimately this stuff will go on peoples reels. A good site to find sound clips is moviewavs.com they have everything from movies to tv shows there and everybody can dl it from there.

Not trying to diss anyones efforts , just my 2cents.

sinbad
05-18-2007, 10:01 PM
Salient points, and I'm sure most agree, but its probably too late now as some will have started planning. At the end of the day I could go and get my own clip, but then I wouldn't be up against others in this forum; competition and recognition is the driving factor for me. Perhaps next time we should all submit clips to be put to the vote?

p

SirRon
05-19-2007, 03:13 AM
Well if the audio clip really isn't working out how about we either have an open audio topic, you can choose your own... or another one suggested audio can be added to the challenge but still keep the old one if some people have gotten a bit into the animation?

I'll be gone this weekend and may not be able have time to edit the challenge. But I'll be back late Monday and see how everyone responds.

sinbad
05-19-2007, 10:43 AM
I think its still early enough to post a couple of further options if possible. This is preferable to an open topic... as you then run the danger of folk submitting old work. Personally I'd like to hold on until Sir Ron comes back on Monday 'else this whole thing loses central control.

VM
05-20-2007, 12:58 PM
I think the athletic event is something open enough for.... a lot of possibilities. You don't get more open tha that. Well, maybe you do, like - animate an acting shot, period. Of course, that's not specific enough. I think something specific would be better. But since this audio is not popular... an ideea would be to submit to a vote - have 3, 4, 5.... 10 (?) audio files, and the most popular gets animated :D And have a large pool of choices, like... comedy, drama, maybe stuff that would imply action, stuff that doesn't imply much... you name it... Personally, I'd prefer something as specific as possible, but maybe other people would prefer something more loose, so they can imagine all sorts...

One problem with this competition might be though... that it's a forum. It's not a website dedicated to it like 10 seconds used to be. 10 seconds was not too well organized as a website, but at least the competition was steady, every month, people knew what to expect and knew the deadlines. It would be great to have a cgtalk-website, separated from the forums, cleanly organized, not too much fluff, simple rules, easy browsing, so we can post and vote easily. And stability. Do it monthly. People get used to it and they keep coming.

Fede
05-20-2007, 07:51 PM
I don't even have to download it to tell you that the rig is not allowed to be used, Bishop is an Animation Mentor rig only and even a very similar looking one would not be allowed to be used.

kevinw
05-21-2007, 03:22 AM
The audio clip is quite horrible both in sound quality and acting range. It has music in the background and static noise. Also it doesnt make any sense. In the future I think you guys should find audio clips that has a closure and doesnt feel like its just the middle part of a longer dialogue. Its a challenge right but ultimately this stuff will go on peoples reels. A good site to find sound clips is moviewavs.com they have everything from movies to tv shows there and everybody can dl it from there.

Not trying to diss anyones efforts , just my 2cents.

Quoted for complete and total agreement.

I think posting a bunch of audio clips and having a vote is a bad idea too. Too many cooks in the kitchen.. yada yada yada...

Nothing against Sir Ron. I know he's devoting personal time to keep this thread going and I for one appreciate the effort. I think there just needs to be a little more consideration given to the chosen clip, and it wouldn't be an issue. Last months clip was fine. No one seemed to complain. If you don't like it or don't feel inspired then do the physical acting challenge... or... don't participate at all.

But the clip every month should at least be worth doing. And it needs to stand on it's own. (as sheep factory said)

It also needs to be clear and clean audio. Nothing worse than crappy quality.. especially for a reel.

And it would be nice if the dialogue was well performed... This month's choice is a pretty piss-poor acting performance. But that's just my opinion.

Anyway... hopefully we'll get everything worked out and this forum can be a great place for animation challenges. cgtalk seems to have great challenges in the other areas of production. why shouldn't we?

andy_maxman
05-21-2007, 03:45 AM
cgtalk seems to have great challenges in the other areas of production. why shouldn't we?

yup! would be really cool to see official animation challenges here on cgT...

:)

Junerahe
05-21-2007, 06:40 AM
Too much complaining. Not enough animating.

SirRon
05-22-2007, 01:50 AM
All righty, back from my trip to go to my brother and his wife's baby shower. I'm gonna be an uncle!! :bounce:

I apologize for the choice of an audio clip this month as it is getting a bit of attention. I honestly didn't think it was that bad. And I do appreciate that the criticism is directed at the clip and not me, no hard feelings taken. I would like a more official animation challenge in CGTalk too but I can only as far as unofficial. :) Drama aside....

It's still early in the challenge and I want to get on top of this adjustment as soon as I can. Looking through moviewavs.com how about a clip from Grosse Pointe Blank?

Link (http://www.moviewavs.com/php/sounds/?id=bst&media=WAVS&type=Movies&movie=Grosse_Pointe_Blank&quote=industry.txt&file=industry.wav)

Yes, I'll extend the deadline.

danjael
05-22-2007, 06:55 AM
I think that one is realy good.
But,..if you feel for some more challenge how about this? :)
Sorry could not resist it. I hope i did not open "pandoras box" love what your doing.
http://www.moviewavs.com/php/sounds/?id=gog&media=MP3S&type=Movies&movie=Dumb_And_Dumber&quote=tag.txt&file=tag.mp3

david-richardson
05-22-2007, 07:19 AM
I think that one is realy good.
But,..if you feel for some more challenge how about this? :)
Sorry could not resist it. I hope i did not open "pandoras box" love what your doing.
http://www.moviewavs.com/php/sounds/?id=gog&media=MP3S&type=Movies&movie=Dumb_And_Dumber&quote=tag.txt&file=tag.mp3

damn this is scary haha!:D

RageArtworks
05-22-2007, 09:25 AM
The Grosse Point Blank one is great. This Dumb and Dumber clip is a bit too limiting. It has to be a tag game, whereas Grosse Point Blank can be virtually anything. IMO.

Besides, I already started Grosse Point Blank, hehe. :D

diegooriani
05-22-2007, 12:39 PM
jmvadell79,

I just love what you've done, very funny.
The last small jump (antecipation) it's hilarious. Well done.

If is not to ask to much, could I see the video that you use as reference, must be as funny.

Dupinet
05-22-2007, 07:19 PM
Ok I'm in I'll try the olympic game :)

sinbad
05-22-2007, 08:26 PM
Grosse Point Blank it is, Lets get ready to RUUUMBLLLLLLLLLE!:scream:

(BTW did someone really actually try to post an AM rig, or was it a lookalikey? :eek: )

GameFace
05-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Nice animation i like how its coming along.. i figured everyone has said pretty much everything already. So my ownly follow up. is.. when he gets hit with the bottle.. his facial expression should change drasitcally as he stumbles then goes back to his regular facial expression haha.. its coming along real cool though great job :)

ronbrito
05-23-2007, 12:20 AM
Yeahhh... my first challenger!!!
:thumbsup:

Amrit-Derhgawen
05-23-2007, 05:33 AM
You guys may wanna try this sound clip--------->

"Do you expect me to talk? –No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die." (http://www.dailywav.com/0300/bonddie.wav) - [Sean Connery and Gert Fröbe from Goldfinger (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0058150)]

Its a short one, and you can always push your acting!;)

Good luck to everyone!
-A

diegooriani
05-23-2007, 09:45 AM
Grosse Point Blank it is, Lets get ready to RUUUMBLLLLLLLLLE!:scream:

(BTW did someone really actually try to post an AM rig, or was it a lookalikey? :eek: )

Where you saw this?! Are you sure isn't the Ollie's rig?!

jmvadell79
05-23-2007, 11:21 AM
hi again

DiegoOriani: hehehe, certainly, my video references are very funny :D , maybe some day post these ones :buttrock:

This is my new update for my entry to athletic event (if you remember, in my first post i wrote that i had not enough time for the last challenge and now the animation is a mix between projectile and athletic ;) )

LINK

http://www.3dpoder.com/laopresion3d/linier_jodido_v53_Render6.mov

feedback pls :p

MoutMout
05-23-2007, 11:56 AM
hi again

DiegoOriani: hehehe, certainly, my video references are very funny :D , maybe some day post these ones :buttrock:

This is my new update for my entry to athletic event (if you remember, in my first post i wrote that i had not enough time for the last challenge and now the animation is a mix between projectile and athletic ;) )

LINK

http://www.3dpoder.com/laopresion3d/linier_jodido_v53_Render6.mov

feedback pls :p

Good idea and work.

Sorry but where did you find your rig plz?

keep it up :)

sinbad
05-23-2007, 01:14 PM
Where you saw this?! Are you sure isn't the Ollie's rig?!
I dunno, It got deleted for copyright reasons (page 2 near the bottom)

How do some of you guys find the time to do both the acting AND the physical piece, dont you guys have jobs to go to?:D

It takes me 2 weeks to add overlap on the fingers!

erensaritas
05-23-2007, 08:58 PM
hi there i'm in the game too!...

i m glad to catch the challenge this time ( i usually catch the finals of challenges :) )
i was a basketball player years ago, so my choise is on athletic event:)
i animated my character as a basketball player that cant make slam dunk ( this is me :) )
here is the animation: www.erensaritas.com/slam_dunk.mov (http://www.erensaritas.com/slam_dunk.mov)

im waiting for your comments and critics...
i dont know will i have anymore free time to work on it but im planning to update with more actions untill the deadline...

Enjoy...

BeyGa
05-23-2007, 09:06 PM
nice work friend. I like particularly that fall action. :buttrock:

Tris3d
05-23-2007, 10:30 PM
erensaritas your link doesn't work! I think the animation section is down on your site too! Just giving you the heads up!

I'll give this one a go too! My first entry so you will have to go easy on me! :thumbsup:

erensaritas
05-23-2007, 10:41 PM
oh thank u Tris3d;
i dont know why but animations folder doesnt work:) i moved it to root...
its my first entry too Tris3d, go for it:thumbsup: best wishes...
here it is:
www.erensaritas.com/slam_dunk.mov (http://www.erensaritas.com/slam_dunk.mov)

simplyme
05-24-2007, 07:51 PM
nice animation erensaritas,
but i think you should maybe add an impact when your character hit the trampoline, and that impact will also make an aticipation to your following jump and make it more dynamic. but otherwise, great work!

qpaynter
05-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Hey nice animation there man. So just asking before I post, can we do any sporty animation . Because I noticed the posted animation above is a trampoline mixed with basketball. Is it ok if I enter an EXTREME gymnastics anim, kinda similar to Park Our ? Just thought Id ask before I post. Cheers

SirRon
05-25-2007, 04:06 PM
Hey nice animation there man. So just asking before I post, can we do any sporty animation . Because I noticed the posted animation above is a trampoline mixed with basketball. Is it ok if I enter an EXTREME gymnastics anim, kinda similar to Park Our ? Just thought Id ask before I post. Cheers

Yes, gymnastics is acceptable! I love watching parkour/free running videos too. You definitely have to be atheletic for that kind of activity.

damncreative
05-25-2007, 05:37 PM
hey guys . here s mine. took some time. but loved doin it
http://www.4shared.com/file/16638121/ee3e3ed0/basketball_final.html

blakboks
05-25-2007, 06:14 PM
Hey damncreative,
That's looking good man.

I noticed a few things, on his first move to the right, when he changes directions from moving forward to backing up, his left foot seems to slide a little bit, it looks a little awkward, I'd either expect him to react more to his foot slipping, or for it to just stick--especially since all his weight is on that foot at that point. Also, when he jumps up for the dunk, it looks like he's launching flat-footed and without favoring either foot (probably the foot closest to the basket would be the foot driving the jump, since all his weight is on that foot on the launch). Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the hips seem a little static, too...or maybe there's something up with the feet, like maybe they seem to be a little too sticky. Sorry I can't be more specific on those--I'm not good enough to really be able to say for sure, but something seems off to me.

Good luck!
-Chris

erensaritas
05-25-2007, 06:22 PM
nice moves damncreative (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=251978), i love crossovers:thumbsup: good luck!

damncreative
05-26-2007, 04:30 AM
hey eren thanx and blakboks thanx for the crits.. even i felt something was wromg with the leg. gr8 suggestion man. will surely work on it.

keep rocking

qpaynter
05-26-2007, 10:29 PM
Hey guys, heres my lil clip im working on. Ive just been playing with jumpimg, flipping and weight. So my entry is going to be "Parkour" extreme running ect.

View at:
http://www.quinnpaynter.com/pages/quinnprivate.html

Tris3d
05-27-2007, 07:10 AM
Wow, cool animations guys!!

Damncreative: Love it!

qpaynter: There seems a couple of problems... I noticed on his last forward flip that he sort of gains some momentum pushing him to the right quickly half way through. So possibly just dragging his landing key frame towards the box and looking at the curve editor to smooth it out. Great anim though!

damncreative
05-27-2007, 07:18 AM
hey tris3d thanx a lot man.

qpaynter
05-27-2007, 09:03 AM
Cool, cheers for the crits. Nice to get someones else eye to take a look at it. You get so used to staring at it yourself :P I'll fix that up and post an update.

tris3d you gonna enter too?

Tris3d
05-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Yeah, almost finished it! Loads of problems with mine still lol! :eek:

qpaynter
05-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Mmm, mines also alil boring and needs a few things fixed up. I might even start something new and focus on my poses and timing. Still thinking of a good subject to choose....I guess Mexican Luchador Wrestling would be considered sport right? that might be fun...

Tris3d
05-28-2007, 06:24 PM
Hehe that would be great!! Hope to see it soon! I just read my crit on your last piece again and it really looks harsh, I hope I didn't offend and plus I dont really know what i'm talking about anyway lol! I'll be posting mine up soon! Maybe tomorrow! I've also downloaded the maya learning exe so really looking forward to having a bash on that. Hope the animation side is not to different from 3ds max.

SirRon
05-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Great job guys. I don't have the time to work on an animation for this month, I'm having to sharpen my digital drawing skills for a possible interface artist job coming up. So no animation for me for a bit :(

erensaritas:
Wow, that's a really nice look to your animation. I do agree with simplyme in that there needs to be some more impact in the movement. I'm not seeing enough anticipation before he jumps on the trampoline and when he's jumping from the trampoline. Kind of like this...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Sirron/trampolinedunk.gif

qpaynter:
Yeah, that parkour animation is missing some action. Though I'd still encourage you to stick with the theme, but the more exciting parkour moves. Like rather than landing on a box have him cling on the edge and slide down the wall to cushion the impact. Then climb up and over. Or maybe a triangle jump?

Keep animating guys :thumbsup:

qpaynter
05-29-2007, 08:08 PM
Hehe, well it wasnt actually made as Parkour to tell you the truth :P I was just playing with some flips and weighting and I threw some buildings in there for this animation comp :P Thats the reason I will probly start a new one soon. Im thinking mexican wrestling ^__^

Tris3d: No offence taken, alot of people have said the same thing about the forward motion. I take it all on board, cause its nice to get another artists eye to take a look. And how can you grow if you dont take crits on board aye :P so all good.

Tris3d
05-29-2007, 10:10 PM
Cool, i'm glad! :)

SirRon that is a great little demonstration! Shame you cant enter! I've been busy working on my portfolio due to an interview coming up but i'll definitely get mine up within the next couple of days! I only have to animate the face and its only seen for about 3 seconds.

erensaritas
05-30-2007, 08:21 PM
thank u SirRon;
im agree with u need to spend more time on it looking forward to weekend:) having a hard week for now...
good luck for everyone:thumbsup:

Dupinet
05-31-2007, 02:27 AM
Great animations so far. I'd like to uplead an animation but Can't so, I'll post some pics.
I'ts about kaekwondo. A young men VS a sensei

animatedbajoe
05-31-2007, 02:29 AM
hello there :)

im intersted to participate. but im going to make funny martial art moves. does that count as "athletic" :D

hehehe...
im still not found any funny moves there. :) thx

SirRon
06-01-2007, 12:20 AM
hello there :)

im intersted to participate. but im going to make funny martial art moves. does that count as "athletic" :D

hehehe...
im still not found any funny moves there. :) thx

Yes I'd consider martial arts as atheletic. :)

MoutMout
06-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Nice work everyone, I especialy like the slam dunk it's very funny!

Nobody trys the audio clip?

ronbrito
06-03-2007, 01:05 PM
I`m trying the audio, I think I`ll be not the unique (I hope).

In some days I`ll post the result.

eagleeyeadvertising
06-03-2007, 03:11 PM
sir, can i just do facial and lipsinc for file "The last starfighter" coz i am a fresher and i will try to finish the full but still.
thanks

VM
06-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Great animations so far. I'd like to uplead an animation but Can't so, I'll post some pics.
I'ts about kaekwondo. A young men VS a sensei

haha, cute poses. the first one looks like an opera singer :D

SirRon
06-04-2007, 07:16 PM
sir, can i just do facial and lipsinc for file "The last starfighter" coz i am a fresher and i will try to finish the full but still.
thanks

Hmm... would you move the shoulders, neck and head? If you just want to do the face and lipsync that's fine, but push yourself more by getting the body to move too.

Happy animating :)

Tris3d
06-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Okay heres my animation, its about a retired failed pole vaulter who has lost his house keys!
There are so many mistakes in this animation that I almost didn't enter but I thought what the heck, least its something. :shrug:

Its just under 3mb. Hope you like. :) Thanks to Peter Starostin for a great rig.

http://uk.geocities.com/tris3d@btinternet.com/Final.mov (http://uk.geocities.com/tris3d@btinternet.com/Final.mov) ( right click save target as )

Problems i can see...

1. As he is running his hand actually goes through the pole ( didn't have time to fix )

2. Needs loads of tweaking with weight especially the initial lifting of the pole vault.

3. Wish i had made the initial bending of the pole take longer just before he rises to really give the idea of the tension in the pole and huge acceleration after.

4. I would have prefered him to be more springy when running rather than slow and in a straight line.

5. Loads of problems with the dynamics but its not about that hehe. :)

Bryant-Tan-Wee-Loon
06-05-2007, 06:55 AM
Hi Everyone. I would like to give it a try on this mini challenge too... I'll take on the audio clip. "The Last Starfighter..."

save often
06-05-2007, 02:49 PM
yer, i`m doing the star fighter audio to, at this very moment. got a week off work, so trying to hammer away at it. see how it goes.

SirRon, you said in an earlyer post about maybe extending the deadline or are you still sticking to the 18th june?

sorry, just read the first page again. the 25th now. my mistake.

animatedbajoe
06-07-2007, 07:18 PM
hello guys. im trying to participate this chalenge.
i am tried to make some crazy martial art moves i found in youtube. but im having problem because the size of its video is very small. heres my progress so far.
.. still need much tweak i think. and it;s just the begining of the whole crazy moves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZXu1Cqq9Vc

previously i am already make some cow animation, based on kungpow movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Afd7_LA1Z4

what do you think guys?
if i cant finished my 'crazy moves' animation, then i will submit my cow animation :)

khet13
06-08-2007, 10:12 AM
nice moves! but your cow looks like itz leaning abit too much to the right?
i think the guy could have jumped abit higher?

Here is my participation,
comment are welcomed! :)

clean and jerk (http://www.khet13.com/animation/clean_n_jerk.mov)

Great work guys!

Frotze
06-09-2007, 01:07 AM
Nice submission khet13 !

I felt the weight could have bounce less high at the end, keeping in mind it's heaviness, and there seem to be a minor (ik?) problem with the left hand just before he lift, but otherwise i though it was great. Did you use any reference, or does all of this come out of you mind? I though it looked very convincing for the most part.

Anyway... Keep up the good work, man!

PSekal
06-10-2007, 04:00 PM
khet13 : nice animation, but the space between legs seems a little to small to supert that waight and bar can use some bend when in air to show thats its heavy just my 2 cents :D

Luminou
06-10-2007, 06:05 PM
hi all!

I don't realy know, but, Is the last starfighter always good for the challenge?

Here's my work, Just turn my curves in linear mode. animation is not very detailed yet

http://www.dailymotion.com/lumou/video/x287lg_cgstarfighterliearmode

cheer

DruG
06-11-2007, 09:13 AM
I`ve started animating and here`s the first scene.

Definitely have to change the last pose and lipsync.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CzLWJBzecb4

DruG
06-12-2007, 06:18 AM
Hope it`s better: http://youtube.com/watch?v=syBWMkVR8Lw

khet13
06-12-2007, 09:44 AM
here is an update from me
clean n jerk (http://www.khet13.com/animation/clean_n_jerk2.mov)

Frotze : Thanks for the comments! worked on it. i have a good reference although i wish i could have done it without any :).

PSekal : Thanks! as for the legs i feel they are fine the way they are nw :). mmm..i could add the bending effect. good idea heh

Luminou : Looks good! just a little comment, the generi guy seems to juz pops out of his seat. i think you could give him some anticipation before jumping out of his seat?

DruG : Love the eyebrow movement at the start :). just a suggestion, you could have his left eyebrow lowered at the part he is thinking? abit of a frown? just a suggestion

keep working guys :D

animatedbajoe
06-12-2007, 10:33 AM
nice moves! but your cow looks like itz leaning abit too much to the right?
i think the guy could have jumped abit higher?

Here is my participation,
comment are welcomed! :)

clean and jerk (http://www.khet13.com/animation/clean_n_jerk.mov)

Great work guys!

yup.. whoa.. looking for other participant, mine looks just like a nubie :(
still need to learn more :D

Luminou
06-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Animatedbajo : don't worry!^^

it is while forging that one becomes blacksmith ! ( it's a French proverb, I do not know if that is said exactly like that in English )

Khet13 : there is already an anticipation, but, do you think i should make it stronger?

khet13
06-13-2007, 02:09 AM
a small update from me :)

clean and jerk (http://www.khet13.com/animation/clean_n_jerk3.mov)

animatedbajoe : dude, to me nobody is a noob bcos to choose this industry we have to sacrifice alot that other ppl would not understand :) and we are always learning from each other, im also learning hehe.

Luminou : Ya i think it will look better with more anticipation at that part. Oh IMO when he said 'To Rylos' the hand can move faster when pointing almost a snap? and he could be pointing already when he says the word 'to'
just my 2 cents :)

keep working guys:scream:

Frotze
06-13-2007, 07:00 PM
Still haven't post any progress on my animation yet, but it should come soon. Just have to tweak some stuff and the linear pass will be pretty much done. :)

khet13 : Hey man! Looking great so far, but there still something that tickles me. I feel the weight could fall and bounce faster. I mean I don't think it should really bounce more than two or three times after it hits the ground. It seems to float a little bit right now.

I did something real quick just to show you. Download attachement to check it out.

Anyway, good job mate! :thumbsup:

khet13
06-14-2007, 03:03 AM
another small update from me, smoothen out some parts and gave it a little more weight at the lifting part

clean and jerk (http://www.khet13.com/animation/clean_n_jerk4.mov)
comments are still welcome :)

Frotze : Thanks dude! ah...normally the floors of that particular event are not really solid that is why there is this bouncy effect :). But i think i try out your comment and see if it makes it better. thanks for the short clip too

cant wait to see your progress :)

SirRon
06-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Very nice khet13, good job :)

diegooriani
06-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Uhhh, nice. just waiting for the next challenge.

animatedbajoe
06-15-2007, 02:08 PM
whew .... i think i pend this chalenges. :) im not done with my animation yet. :)

great animation for all of u guys ;)

i hope i can make as good as yours :D

Frotze
06-15-2007, 06:26 PM
Hey folks! :) Thought I could drop in to show you what I've got so far. Curves are still in linear mode and there's no overlap yet, but here it is : Race - Work in progress (http://www.vimeo.com/clip:213685)

Basically, it's about a very tired racer. The sound comes from a clip found on youTube. Hope you like it!

...and comments are welcome, of course. :)

sunimaion
06-15-2007, 08:02 PM
hi... this is sunny here

i m always following u guys with all animation sessions.. and learn a lots..

newaz being a freshers(student) wanted to join this session.... for learning purpose...

hope i can be a part of u all....and share a lots....may be i m not perfect in what i vil b doin but i wanna grow more with the help of ur valuable critics....

thanx to all ur sharing, till today ....

uploading my clip shortly...

till den happy animation and keep smiling
:)

erensaritas
06-15-2007, 11:07 PM
hi guys! im back with a little update:thumbsup:

we talked about the jumping ( to make it more flexy ) but i didnt update it yet, i just add 2 more shots, im waiting for the weekend to make the big update:) its hard to work on this after a busy day...

so i hope u ll like it , enjoy!
www.erensaritas.com/slam_dunk_preview.mov (http://www.erensaritas.com/slam_dunk_preview.mov)

PSekal
06-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Frotze: looks nice the only thing thats bother me is first guy pose try no to hit extream in first frame its looks stiff

erensaritas: good start but you need some more antic before he starts to run also the first step should be smaller, you also need some push of keys here you can find nice little post tutorial about push ofs http://fliponline.blogspot.com/2007/01/push-off.html
next thing thats bothre me is frame 22 the right leg needs to be forward before he jumps to give him forward momentum now he looks more like his jumping up more then forward frame 39 the pose can be push more squash him more make c shape in his body frame 55 you can push this pose to and create reverse c shape for more change look for the ark of the jump its looks off right now hi missing the basket (frame 61) frame 70 can be a little more extreme frame 73 i think he should be higher then the basket i dont like the fall shot its to long and dont have dinamics hi look more like hi is parachuting then falling down
just me 2 cents hope its helps a little and that you can understand my poor english

Frotze
06-16-2007, 07:18 PM
PSekal : Thanks for the reply! :) Yea, you're totally right about the stiffness at the beginning. Here's an updated version : Race - WIP (http://www.vimeo.com/clip:214381)

erensaritas : I agree with PSekal about the close up when he's falling: you could easily cut out a couple of seconds at the end. BUT I do like a lot the scene where you see him deccelerate and start to fall back. Good job on that one! :thumbsup:

But about my clip, now, I was wondering : overall, do you guys feel it goes too fast? Like do do you have enough time to understand what's going on? I have to say it's a bit hard to evaluate once you've seen it hundreds of times.

Lom3d
06-19-2007, 02:15 AM
very creative challenge:thumbsup: Though I think I might have to pass this one. I didn't know about this challenge and I had animated some 10 sec clip for another web challenge... So right now I feel a little pumped down. Please let me know if you have the next one, I will be waiting for it!

khet13
06-19-2007, 03:31 AM
back with some update from me

clean and jerk (http://www.khet13.com/animation/clean_n_jerk5.mov)
comments are welcome as usual :)

erensaritas : ya i agree with Psekal about the push off. need some anticipation to show he is going to run off. actually Psekal pointed out most the stuff. felt that the falling part where the closup is abit no needed. overall itz nice!

frotz : nice animation! personally i feel that the actions are abit fast? IMO the 1st guy could have his hands on his hips when stretching back? and i think he should not be looking at the side? should be looking in front, concentrating on the race :). the 2nd guy looks ok to me. the 3rd guy i feel you could push the timing of the yawn back a little? cos most part of the yawn my eyes were still on the 2nd guy :P. lastly after he realised something wrong and before he looks at the viewer, you can have his eyes look to the right as he might want some assurance that he did not miss out the start of the race.
Hope this helps :)

Dreamdealer2099
06-19-2007, 06:21 AM
Hi there!
Finally i have finished my piece!
http://vimeo.com/216504
Now waiting for comments and new challenge of course!:applause:

diegooriani
06-19-2007, 08:54 AM
It's so funny these deadlines.

Probably you will think that what I'm about to say is just because I am not in the challenge this month. Seriously... we should stick to the deadlines.

Finished or not finished, post your animation and learn with it.

In real projects you'll never have these kind of deadlines, trust me.

I think the deadline is a extreme important element in these challenges and should be follow strictly.

I can understand the moderator is extending it because most of the users ask for it, but I think this is not reason enough.

Well, is just my opinion. Fell free to criticize it.

Cheers,
Diego

jmvadell79
06-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Khet13: I like the preliminars, very good, really. Then, when he raise the weights I think he needs more effort to raise that, it seems too easy to raise, but is only my opinion, nevertheless is a good job, congratulations

Well, this is the final version for my entry for atlethic event:

http://3dpoder.com/laopresion3d/linierjodido_v55_banderin.mov

jmvadell79
06-19-2007, 09:39 AM
ups!

I've just seen the final date to entry... ups its a little late, well i posted a couple of weeks ago an older version, if this final version can't i hope the older may participate...

Frotze
06-19-2007, 01:47 PM
jmvadell79 : As far as I know, the deadline has been extended to June 25th, so you should be okay.

khet13 : First off, thanks for the comments. :)
Good idea for the hands on the hips at the beginning, I'll try it. That could help making him look more like stretching, cause I feel right now that there's something missing. About the yawn, I think you're also right. In fact, it's probably the solution to my problem. I knew there was an issue when the tired guy appears because we still see the other character at that time, and naturally our eye prefer to continue looking at the first one, so we miss a lot from the early seconds of the second guy. I'll definitely try your suggestion.
You said "after he realised something wrong and before he looks at the viewer, you can have his eyes look to the right as he might want some assurance that he did not miss out the start of the race". Actually, he looks at his right before looking back at the race, but I don't know if it's what you mean. Like, he's all ready to run, but then feel something is wrong, look at his right, sees they're all gone, and then stand up to look at the other racers who are already far away.
But thanks again, comments appreciated! :)

I may have also a suggestion for you. Right now, when you guys lifts at about frame 400, you can see his arms streching a lot before the weight even move, which is a bit weird. Maybe you could try making the weight lift for an inch, arms streched at their maximum normal capacity, and make his arms strech even more while lifting.
I see you've changed how the weight drop down and bounce. It looks much better. Maybe I'd make it roll just a little at the end so that it doesn't immobilze so fast, but it still works pretty well like it is. Great work, dude! :thumbsup:

jmvadell79
06-19-2007, 02:42 PM
thanks Fotze!, by the way, your animation are very funny, good job! :applause:

SirRon
06-19-2007, 04:46 PM
I can understand the moderator is extending it because most of the users ask for it, but I think this is not reason enough.

Well, is just my opinion. Fell free to criticize it.

Cheers,
Diego

Actually I extended it because there was a week where people weren't really happy with the audio clip. So in the middle of the challenge I changed the clip but still wanted people to have 4 weeks to finish it rather than 3 for that first week of discontent.

Reminder: 1 week left til the end of the challenge. The voting session will be shorter so we can get the new challenge up earlier. Voting will consist of picking:

1. Best animation
2. Non-Audio topic
3. Audio clip

anymator
06-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Hi everyone... This is my first post here, and also my first challenge.:)

Well... straight to the subject, here is my submission. I chosed the Industry subject. Personally... i'm not happy 100 % with the animation, but I was limited by minimal free time to spend on it.
http://www.vimeo.com/clip:216989

I also wished to explore much options, so here you have a second layout version for the blue character.
http://www.vimeo.com/clip:216993
Comments and critics are welcomed.

PS: From what i see, there is a problem with downloading the source from Vimeo. If you have any other options where to upload for getting also the source, would be GREAT.:)
Thank you.:)

Lom3d
06-20-2007, 04:50 AM
Hi everyone... This is my first post here, and also my first challenge.:)

Well... straight to the subject, here is my submission. I chosed the Industry subject. Personally... i'm not happy 100 % with the animation, but I was limited by minimal free time to spend on it.
http://www.vimeo.com/clip:216989

I also wished to explore much options, so here you have a second layout version for the blue character.
http://www.vimeo.com/clip:216993
Comments and critics are welcomed.

PS: From what i see, there is a problem with downloading the source from Vimeo. If you have any other options where to upload for getting also the source, would be GREAT.:)
Thank you.:)

Looking very good :thumbsup: For a limited time, I think you did a fantastic job here

ps. I don't know if you ever use it, but I find that http://www.zshare.net/ is easy to download

anymator
06-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Lom3d... Thanks a lot for the upload link. Very helpful... and NO! I didn't used zShare before. :thumbsup:
Thank you for the comment, I don't think is so bad me neither... is just, i can push much more with a proper period available to spend on it. :)

Download links:
H.264 Compression
Anim_v02.mov - 2.86MB (http://www.zshare.net/video/2351773bd45b66/)

3ivx D4 4.5.1 Compression
Anim_v02i.mov - 3.11MB (http://www.zshare.net/video/2351827b04d37e/)

...and the Layout v1
Layout_v01.mov - 4.75MB (http://www.zshare.net/video/235187714b39cb/)

Any feedback much appreciated. :)

diegooriani
06-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Actually I extended it because there was a week where people weren't really happy with the audio clip. So in the middle of the challenge I changed the clip but still wanted people to have 4 weeks to finish it rather than 3 for that first week of discontent.

Reminder: 1 week left til the end of the challenge. The voting session will be shorter so we can get the new challenge up earlier. Voting will consist of picking:

1. Best animation
2. Non-Audio topic
3. Audio clip

Humn, I see. That's alright!

I know you're doing a great job here SirRon, I didn't mean anything against you.

Keep the good work mate!

SirRon
06-20-2007, 04:57 PM
No offense taken, just wanted to respond.

Thanks diegooriani :)

ronbrito
06-21-2007, 11:57 AM
I've done mine using the audio voice.

I don't think so that I'll have day to change something, but critics will be nice.
Link:
http://www.vimeo.com/clip:218301

diegooriani
06-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Hey jmvadell79,

Do you remember we had a chat about your animation? You told me you used some footage for your animation.

Did you use rostoscope? I really want to try some acting and play with rotoscope in Maya but I don't know how to do it. (well, if is creating an image plan and changing the source everytime, I know how to do it)

Anyway, if someone know a good workflow for it, please share with us all.

Thank you,
Diego

SirRon
06-22-2007, 05:09 PM
FINAL ANIMATION THREAD (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=4467587#post4467587)

Start turning in those animations! :)

sunimaion
06-24-2007, 01:44 PM
hi... this is my 1st time to participate in a session.... and i m a fresher in this field... the clip i done is on d the topic "Athletic " ... i know its not that good.... but i just want to participate in the basis of learning 4m u all.... hope i can do well in future.. with ur advice and critics.... plzzz show my all faults...

http://www.vimeo.com/clip:220410

in the clip the rope is not moving.... actually if the rope moves then the animation would hav look better... but still .... i done it in 2days...

newaz plzz advice 4 better works

till den happy animation

jmvadell79
06-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Diegooriani: No, I didn't use rotoscope, I filmed myself acting a lot of times and I used that as reference to add more detail to my animation. Sorry but i don't know how to use rotoscope in Maya :shrug:

SirRon
06-26-2007, 06:07 PM
The voting thread has started. Tell all of your friends to come in and vote! :)

Voting Thread (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=4475855#post4475855)

CGTalk Moderation
06-26-2007, 06:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.