PDA

View Full Version : "Hard" mechanical models with organic detail

CaptRuss
05-16-2007, 05:36 PM
It occurs to me as I build my current "hobby" model (A Tank, sorry;) ) that it would be nice to have "organic" detailing on the final version. Things such as weld lines, mud splatters, etc. rising from the surface. Now, I'm using basic poligonal modeling techniques to shape this thing, not Sub-D of any stripe. Hence the final won't easily be brought into mudbox or Zbrush for sculpting the gnarly bits for displacement extraction. This is leaving me at a loss for something other than the "standard" old school bump map.

Anyone have any ideas for this? (and was I able to make myself comprehensible?)

pauljs75
09-01-2007, 10:44 AM
I wonder if something like this would provide a satisfactory answer? Weld just modeled in by having some extra loops around the connection, beveling in places and crumpling (random displaced) vertices, and some manual tweaking.

In other cases it might be easier to make a weld as a separate object following the contour of whatever it's on and pushing it through the surface a bit. It can't be that hard...

DarthDavis
11-21-2007, 09:57 AM
I think modo can sculpt your displacements even if theyre triangles... but might be wrong.

Also if they are really such small details, make a bump map in photoshop : )

CKPinson
03-11-2008, 12:58 AM
I've used Zbrush and Mudbox to sculpt out a Normal Map even with and obj that had some tris in it- for this kind of details you might want to consider this- if you have any flaws in your Normal Maps you can open with PS and blend/smudge/blur the screwy areas throught he 2 diffferent color chanels- I did this before and got some nice results.

gobley
07-07-2008, 05:57 AM
It would help to know what software you're using and what the capabilities are. Like Darth said, in modo you can sculpt a displacement map over a really low-rez mesh, keeping your amount of detail really impressive, while keeping poly count really low. If you are using some app that doesn't do that, you can UV map the completed base mesh model (i HIGHLY recommend doing it, it will give the best looks for weathering and details on your tank) and make a disp. map in PS or like software.

CGTalk Moderation
07-07-2008, 05:57 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.