PDA

View Full Version : Agent? in progress

Rivendale
03-15-2003, 12:13 AM
Hi, here's a model Im working on in my spare time. I'm not sure yet what type of character it's going to be. Maybe some sort of spy/agent. The polycount is now up to 2986, but I feel I can add a few more. I havn't begun texturing yet so the textures on the head are just temporary. What do you think? Any suggestions on props to go with him?
http://members.chello.se/mille0/character.jpg
...and a wire...
http://members.chello.se/mille0/wire.jpg
:)

mindrot
03-15-2003, 09:03 AM
this is quite cool.... I like the colours that you have used on the textures...

As for props, maybe a shoulder holster and pistol/gun....

:thumbsup:

ostov
03-15-2003, 12:33 PM
The texture looks very good, I relly like this model
qrit:
The ears looks a bit weird
The shoes looks like it is to high, if u know what I mean
Whats up with the texture on the head? Why is it on the backside of it??
Anyway, great job :thumbsup:

Prs-Phil
03-15-2003, 05:35 PM
I must say it sucks big time. Not that its a really bad model ore anything but

- you have so many wrong turned faces
- Unwelded vertics at the triceps
- the detail that you could work out with that amount of polys ... and you just waste them
- Arms are a bit to long
- You didnt lay out the UVs at all. You head has 2 faces
- you can see the seems at the neck
- the torso is a bit to long, pull up the belt
- you have vertics standing out at the chest

and many more ...

Sry but thats how it is. Try to make a nice clean model and make something decent with that polycount.
Good luck

Phil

Hamsterhead
03-15-2003, 06:00 PM
ok I agree slightly with the last post, but you did say that the head textures were "temporary" so anything that says that it sucks because of that is just silly

Rivendale
03-15-2003, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the comments!

Prs-Phil- You must be having a bad day. So you just copy pasted your reply from the other forum, right? Ok, I'll do the same.

-I turned the faces as I did to get the best smoothing. I can see a few places that need fixing, but as the thread reads, it's a WIP.

-Unwelded verts, you're kidding right? You can't even see the triceps.

-Could you be more specific about the areas that hold too many polygons?

-I wrote that I hadn't begun texturing yet and that the textures were temporary.

I have done the mapping now, next there's textures...
http://members.chello.se/mille0/mapping.jpg

Asorson
03-15-2003, 06:42 PM
Some people are stupid. Does anyone bother to actually read the post before responding? The textures are neither "nice" nor "shitty" because the textures aren't even started yet.

Rivendale: Low poly characters don't need edgeloops in the face, this just creates way too many polygons with no use. You could reduce the amount of polys in the head by 50% at least.

The character is pretty plain right now. He looks more like a thug than a secret agent. Maybe a shotgun or a 44magnum revolver with a big ass long barrel. Oh yeah, and a 10lb engraved belt buckle.

Rivendale
03-15-2003, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!
The reason I used so many polygons and edgeloops in the face was to get a good smoothing that would hold up to a close up shot of the face. When the character is further away I could use LODs. I will do some final tweaking of the model later though.

Rivendale
03-15-2003, 07:24 PM
Here's a closeup of the face with wires:
http://members.chello.se/mille0/wirehead.jpg

tpe
03-15-2003, 09:59 PM
Take Erik Asorson's advice, drop the edgeloop type things (and halve the polycount), also when keeping the tris count low is important, just as a technique i find it helps to avoid 5 sided polies when you can in laying down the geometry and to keep 4 sided as planar as possible (sort of "working clean") as it makes it easier to see what is necessary and what isnt and also as the way the tris are turned can have such an effect on a low poly model. Keep it comming, it looks like its going to be a great model.

tpe

Prs-Phil
03-16-2003, 12:16 AM
yeah its a bit hard to write the same thing in a different forum the same way :D

Well if you read my reply at threedy then you know that I didnt get up on the wrong side of the bed. (Alought I can only get up on one side of mine but thats a nother thing ;) )

@ eRIK

WATCH what you say m8. Im not trying to run him down, Im trying to give him tips. So open your eyes and look, even the fact that hes not even started the texture the model has alot of tweaking that can be done look

the blue areas at he parts where you can turn the faces
the red areas are where you can weld vertics
Ive probably left out some areas but youll find them

I dont see why people ask for crit and even if its hard and rough the others start to winge.

http://pu-art.com/wir_expe.jpg

Rivendale
03-16-2003, 03:00 PM
tpe- thanks!

Prs-Phil- All critique is welcome, that's why I posted in the first place, but to say that something sucks isn't very constructive. I bet you would be offended if someone said that about your model too. It wasn't all BS though and I fixed some of the things you mentioned.
Most of the areas you marked on the image are like that for a reason, that is to give the impression that the model is more detailed than it really is and to give a good smoothing. You need to look at the smoothed model to see what looks off and not.

I started on the textures but it's still very WIP, have a look:
(I guess it's not much of an agent anymore but hey, not every model has to be a killing machine;) )

http://members.chello.se/mille0/texrender.jpg

Witchy
03-16-2003, 04:19 PM
>>I dont see why people ask for crit and even if its hard and rough the others start to winge.

Because "It sucks" is not criticism, it's just nonsense. You made some valid points but why you feel the need to add stuff like that I don't know.

Maybe you and the other people who do it think the in crowd find it funny and perhaps you do. But you might want to just think about whether if people read "It sucks" they are going to take as much notice of the helpful parts of your post as you would like. Or maybe cheap remarks and slamming are some sort of sport here- it certainly seems that way. And that's a shame when there is such good advice to be had.

Prs-Phil
03-16-2003, 04:40 PM
ok I must apologise for saying it sucks, that was a bit harsh. Sry if I offended you but like you wrote before, I must of got up on the wrong side of the bed ... and I did :D

The skin is getting on well

I cant see the point of putting dents into the model, that it looks allright smoothed. If the surface is more even it looks better anyway.

Keep on posting your progress

idvah
03-16-2003, 04:45 PM
I dont know why, but it seems to me that this is a short character, I think its the mid section where I see that, it just seems alittle squished together.

zoso
03-16-2003, 05:15 PM
i agree with idvah....

but to me the mid section looks fine and the legs appear to be short. general rule....from what i can remember the femur is about 2 1/2 heads long and the calf is about 2 heads long.... and the foot is about as long as the face is.

the skin seems a little pale to me... are you using photo-source or just painting them from scratch?? just curious i don't really care anyway just that photo-source seems to leave you under the thumb of the orignal image unless you paint around it.

otherwise i think the model is coming around nicely...but i do think a solid story/background for the character would help you realize exactly what this character would look like. as of right now the character looks like the guy you would see walking down the street... but i think if you put some personality and attitude into this you could clearly have a more interesting looking model.

Rivendale
03-16-2003, 09:29 PM
Yeah, now that you say it, it defenetly looks squashed. I tweaked the proportions a bit and it looks better now. Any more suggestions on the general proportions are very much appreciated. :)

zoso- I use photos and manipulate and paint over them. As for the backstory, I agree, it would have been good to have that from the start. Ill see what I can do about that.
http://members.chello.se/mille0/texrender2.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.