PDA

View Full Version : Landscape flyover from high to low

Mafx
05-15-2007, 10:16 PM
Hey all,

As part of this snow scene I am doing I need to fly down through some clouds and over a sprawling landscape getting down quite low as to fly through the trees and end up at my clients logo. I sold them on the idea by making a quick fly from the sky to a water plane (through some clouds etc) all good at the water plan is infinite. Now I need to do a HUGE landscape and can't get the ecosystem to look realistic.. the surface looks all crap and stretched and just looks all very ordinary. I have seen on the Vue demo vids some huge city scenes and some landscape fly-overs where the land looks very nice and genuine.

HELP :) Is it a scale issue possible or what? I have a procedural terrain setup, it started as a standard and I loaded in a bmp to be used as the height map (I need a specific area for the logo) and then changed that to procedural. I am using the snow eco-system at the moment which I want to tweak but can't get the standard one to work let alone a tweaked version. I have have altered the plants a little to be what I want and around the logo I am going to paint in a certain area.

I really confused about what I am doing wrong, can someone give me some tips on making a huge landscape that will be seen pretty close up (as well as far away).

Many thanks.

S.

artzfx
05-16-2007, 07:08 AM
Have you tried using multiple terrains placed close together rather than one huge terrain? the image in my site http://www.artzfx.com/ header has about 4 terrains placed together to create its terrain. I also scale the materials>ecosystem>trees to suit.

fomal
05-16-2007, 01:56 PM
What artzfx said. Use multiple terrains and scale them to your needs. It's almost impossible to get fully populated terrains at once. It's just to processor intensive.

There's also a good tutorial on how to do that. Look in your vue help file on the bottom pages for "Building a Complete Scene". It will show you how to use distant planes etc with a realistic look. The other thing you could do when you fly over a large landscape is to search for transistions. When you pass a tree for example use that to morph your background into a high poly model in a new scene.

Consequently, real trees in forests should be used for close-ups only. If
you require a distant forest, it is best you use the second method: Faking
distant forests, which will yield very pleasing results too.

CGTalk Moderation
05-16-2007, 01:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.