PDA

View Full Version : pricing?

Ransom
05-15-2007, 08:51 PM
I am sorry if this has been posted and asked about a million times before but...
How much do you charge for an animation? Is there a guide that i could follow, because I really do not have any idea. This is one of my first gigs and curious is to what the going rates are. The animation is going to be 90 seconds long, I was thinking of charging 200$ US, but i am not sure if that is to much or to little. Any advice would really help me out.

ErikSvensson
05-15-2007, 08:56 PM
Well thats a really cheap offer if you ask me. For a full time job, thats like..2 working days of pay. Maybe even just 1. it'll probably take you some weeks to make that, and make it good. So count on a hour pay of 1-2 dollars at maximum. Then decide if it's worth it. :)

Erik

Ransom
05-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Hmmm yes but it is not a 3d animation. It would be a 2d one using aftereffects as the main tool. Well it is good to know that it is on the cheeper side. Thanks for the help.

ErikSvensson
05-16-2007, 04:52 AM
Yeah its on the cheaper side. :) You're welcome!

Erik

liquidhalf
05-23-2007, 07:17 PM
You really should work out what your hourly rate is and bill it that way. How long will it take you to do the 90 seconds?

aaraaf
05-23-2007, 07:41 PM
By 2D do you mean hand drawn animation?

It takes me a *lot* longer to do 90 seconds of finished 2D than it takes to do 90 seconds of finished looking 3D.

If it's compositing stills (which is an artform all to itself) that's a completely different work load, especially if you're doing the drawing or cutting out for compositing.

Asiadeep
06-02-2007, 09:24 PM
I think thats undercharging yourself here. I used to work as a copywriter and the most basic problem is that alot of other writers like to go into a price war. Instead may I just suggest that you develop your portfolio and present it to any client. This means that you can command a good price and professional work to back you up.

MrHobby
06-04-2007, 08:03 PM
I saw this thread and wanted to ask a question:
Chargeing by an hourly rate is good for someone doing thier first few gigs.

My question is what about the differance in quality?
For example if you do a short quick animation of pixar type quality, and then do the same lenth of animation with hyper-real quality, what should the pay be based on then?

Meaning obviously hyper-real takes alot longer to finish so your getting more hourly pay but what if you have really good equipment and your render times are very fast and there isnt too much differance in the times for each quality, would the pay be based on the same principal?

Basically should the pay always be based on the time frame it takes to finish a project no matter what the quality or effects involved?
Or should there be a sway in priceing depending on circumstances?

CGTalk Moderation
06-04-2007, 08:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.