PDA

View Full Version : Rigging a pac man

Kinematics
05-15-2007, 09:06 PM
Hey guys, im working on a very simple character...something similar to a pac man when he opens his mouth. I figured it was really gonna be super simple till I actually sat down and tried it.

Hey guys, im working on a very simple character...something similar to a pac man when he opens his mouth. I figured it was really gonna be super simple till I actually sat down and tried it.

http://www.media-design.us/187/pac.jpg

How would you go about rigging a character like this to have his mouth open to such an extreme pose? i spent alot of time re-making a sphere but with the topology (figure A) leading from the mouth...I figured that would be good enough but not so.

(figure B) This shows the currently bone positions I am using to try and achieve (figure D)
In (figure B) i also pointed out a problem area...the issue is no matter how I tried painting the weights or putting influence objects...there is always crumpling and the nice smooth sphere model i was going for is gone and becomes a really crumply looking thing.

What would you do? In this story he needs to open his mouth WIDE open and eat stuff and then look directly at the camera and smile.

Thanks

How would you go about rigging a character like this to have his mouth open to such an extreme pose? i spent alot of time re-making a sphere but with the topology (figure A) leading from the mouth...I figured that would be good enough but not so.

(figure B) This shows the currently bone positions I am using to try and achieve (figure D)
In (figure B) i also pointed out a problem area...the issue is no matter how I tried painting the weights or putting influence objects...there is always crumpling and the nice smooth sphere model i was going for is gone and becomes a really crumply looking thing.

What would you do? In this story he needs to open his mouth WIDE open and eat stuff and then look directly at the camera and smile.

Thanks

theazz
05-16-2007, 12:13 AM
possibly make an array of joints which take on fractions of the main joints rotational vavlues? to help spread the skin influence that is.

kinda like this

http://www.keithlango.com/wordpress/?p=562

Andimation
05-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Like Aron said, fan joints would be the simplest solution. You could then combine that with a correction blendshape, so as the mouth joints rotate they drive a blendshape that would fix the back of the head to maintain a round mass.

Kinematics
05-16-2007, 05:35 PM
Mmmm yes ive done afew tests. I did what you guys recommended and after some time of slowly painting weights...i think im getting much better results. but man...with this rig itll be hard to get the mouth to crunch up into that small "Ooo" shape.

Have you guys done this before or have any reference stuff around for me to take alook?

But yes...the fan joints followed by the correective blendshape is producing much better results then i had earlier. Kudos to you guys! thanks so much.

theazz
05-16-2007, 06:17 PM
I havnt done owt exaclty like this im just into doing funky character rigs. for some mouthshapes it might be best to layer on deformtions rather than trying ti make it work as is

maybe using multiple versions of the face rig with different deformatiosn that feed into the real one as a paralele blendshape or something. chek this video

http://www.keithlango.com/wordpress/?p=566

keiths put a load of stuff up about rigging recently which is interesting.

CGTalk Moderation
05-16-2007, 06:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.