PDA

View Full Version : Influence Objects Feature

Julez4001
03-14-2003, 08:56 PM
In maya, they are called Influence Objects ..anything (nulls, msh, nurbs, etc) that you want to deform the surface of your polys(or nurbs). Useful for things like knee caps, farrie elements in fingers, elbows. Splinegod has a tut on a plugin called Polyfit that sort fits this descriptions...are there any other plugins that do this.

besides Polk efectors and out effectors i can't think of anything else.

DaveW
03-14-2003, 10:09 PM
I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for, but perhaps sockmonkey could be used for some of these effects?

twidup
03-14-2003, 10:16 PM
KO_PolyFit, it works very similiar to Maya's influence objects

-Todd

SplineGod
03-15-2003, 05:23 AM
You can also use Normal Displacement. With gradients and reference nulls you can get some reasonable displacements

Tudor
03-15-2003, 12:35 PM
damn!

never thought of trying sockmonkey for this.. I was messing about with KO_polyfit which don't work well for me.. Sockmonkey did the trick! :)

oh.. and to control this in a character it is a nice idea to use cyclist instead of messing with driven keys and such! :)

Tudor
03-15-2003, 02:41 PM
oh.. pivot points and such is a mess with sockmonkey.. Anyone know how to get that working on a rigged character?

Julez4001
03-15-2003, 02:54 PM
yeah, Both sock monkey (a poor Puppetmaster substitute) and Normal displacements are a bear on the "old dispacement vs speed" department.

I gonna give Polyfit a try.

Working a bid and looks messiah is not gonna fit in the budget as I got transfer of files to non-messiah ppl.

I hope we get a Sock Monkey 3.0 or something in 8.0, this time examples of rigged characters instead of proof of concept.

DaveW
03-15-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Tudor
oh.. pivot points and such is a mess with sockmonkey.. Anyone know how to get that working on a rigged character?

Do you mean having to move the pivots for sockmonkey controllers in Modeler (because sockmonkey can make null controllers automagically if you want) or do you mean sockmonkey stops working predictably when you start rotating pivots in Layout? I've noticed that rotating pivots in Layout can really mess up motion modifiers, but I've never heard of it messing up displacement modifiers.

SplineGod
03-15-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Julez4001
yeah, Both sock monkey (a poor Puppetmaster substitute) and Normal displacements are a bear on the "old dispacement vs speed" department.

I gonna give Polyfit a try.

Working a bid and looks messiah is not gonna fit in the budget as I got transfer of files to non-messiah ppl.

I hope we get a Sock Monkey 3.0 or something in 8.0, this time examples of rigged characters instead of proof of concept.
LOL, Julez I always thought of puppetmaster as a poor weight maps substitute. :)
Ive used sockmonkey quite a bit but not for fully rigged characters. I find bones and weight maps better for that. Sockmonkey has proven useful for fine tuning some things.
You can adjust the pivot point of each "handle" in sockmoney aka rest position just like bones.
With the normal displacement , once I know its working I disable it while animating and switch it back on when checking deformations. This isnt a strange way of doing things since every application Ive ever seen begins to slow down when a lot of deformers are added. Ctrl d in layout will turn off ALL deformations temporarily which can speed things up a great deal while animating.

faulknermano
03-16-2003, 01:48 AM
what i never got about sock monkey is why it always replaced point displacments instead of simply adding them... hmmm

SplineGod
03-16-2003, 02:23 AM
The biggest thing about sockmonkey for me is that the control handles can be parented to external things.

Tudor
03-16-2003, 10:09 AM
no.. I mean just adjusting the pivot of the automatically created control object in layout...
Managed to figure it out a little bit more now though :)

Originally posted by DaveW
Do you mean having to move the pivots for sockmonkey controllers in Modeler (because sockmonkey can make null controllers automagically if you want) or do you mean sockmonkey stops working predictably when you start rotating pivots in Layout? I've noticed that rotating pivots in Layout can really mess up motion modifiers, but I've never heard of it messing up displacement modifiers.

Julez4001
03-16-2003, 05:05 PM
I only use puppetmaster for some segments morphing back in 5.6 days. I rarely use it for anything these days unless a project had a seamless object with a head that i need cut off for magpie. very rare.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.