PDA

View Full Version : "Whoops!!!"-Hero- noktUp

noktUp
03-14-2003, 08:06 PM
So my story idea is a little simple, cause I'll be pretty busy for the next few months, what with making a UT mod and all...

Character: Spontanious Combust-Human.

Setting: In a office cubicle. At CataTronic Technologies.

Time: Right after lunch.

Bio: Character has been working the same job for 15 yrs. His wife left him to pursue a career in "back door tricks".
His loyal dog of 9 yrs is senile and keeps biting him in the middle of the night on account of night terrors.

Mood: Character is depressed about going to a boring dead end job.

Story: Character enters shot from off camera and sits down at the desk. He stares at the computer screen with a defeated look on his face. He begins to snap his thumb and fore-finger in an involinery and nervous twitch. On the third snap, his thumb catches on fire. Startled, he looks more closly at his thumb, and begins to think to himself, to show a devious plan at work. "Now! Now iI will show them my true power!" he thinks vengefully.
Plan in mind, he begins to concentrate, a look of determination and focus washes over his face. A second later, starting at his feet (off camera), a wave of fire floods over him, then vanishes as quickly as it appeared, leaving the chared remains of a burned match stick. The only thing left unscorched is his thumb, which falls to the desk, starting a domino effect of collaps which consumes the blackened leavings of the inferno. And thusly, "Whoops!!!"

I might have to cut it down cause it feels a little lengthly (of couse I am very long winded so it'll probably be shorter on film), and the fire effect will have to be "represented" by something, like sprites or simple particles and it might look like arse cause i'm not that big on particles, but it should be fun to make though:)

C&C's welcome, and expect story boards in a few days.

noktUp
03-14-2003, 10:41 PM
maybe i'll have him walk in to his boss's office to give him is come uppance!

BishopLynx
03-15-2003, 12:58 AM
Good luck andy and welcome to the challenges
:buttrock:

psilipsycho
03-22-2003, 02:02 AM
noktup,

sounds good, but I guess it has to, now that your animating for two. I like the idea, maybe a little back story on why his thumb is invincible.

wiki wiki

noktUp
03-24-2003, 08:05 AM
Hahahahahahaha.
Ahhh, sweet, sweet chemicals made by my brain.
I'll crank out some back story rite now.

Thanks for the crit, B.

The Spontaneous Combust-Human: Background:

The Spontaneous Combust-Human (Esteban Nadaczek) was born to two unassuming parents in the rural part New Jersey (60 ft from filth in any direction). His father, Uri Nadaczek, immigrated to the States in 1986 to escape the constant burning sensation he felt from living in his hometown of Chernobyl, Ukraine. His mother, Maria Atonia, moved from Love Canal, New York, because of the high prospects of birth defects caused by the unnaturally dense concentrations of mercury metal found in the local water table.

The two met in a New Jersey hospital in 1989 during one of their many chemical burn scrapings. Two yrs later the pair were hitched in the proverbial "ball and chain" method, and a year and a half later, a bouncing Esteban came shooting out.

Very happy with their new creation, and worried for his safety, the two parents moved to a suburb of New Jersey, blanketed from the prying eyes of government satellites by power lines carrying tens of millions of volts. This paranoia was most likely the visible effects of dementia brought about by prolonged exposure to harmful chemicals and radiation.

As a boy, young Esteban was accused by numerous kids, of starting several fires around his neighborhood. Many criminal investigations were begun, but to unfruitful ends. A catalyst and method of ignition were never determined.

Poor Esteban would constantly complain about a burning in his hand, but this was dismissed as "School boy angst". It is believed that his body contains high amounts of catchonfireite (kah-chon-fy-rite), a substance previously found only on duh moon. Little else is know about this un-natural mutation, because those damn power lines are in the way!!!

PS. Love Canal, is an actual, factual place that was built on a nuke waste dump site. I laughed for 31 minutes.

Scott Harris
03-24-2003, 10:49 AM
ha ha "back door tricks"...suddenly i'm 12 again and i just herd someone say "butt"

heh heh eh heh...:p

seriously though...sounds like its going to be funny.

BishopLynx
03-24-2003, 01:27 PM
cool. Lets get some pre-pro.

DaveW
03-24-2003, 06:19 PM
i love that name, spontaneous combust-human :D

nice backstory too!

noktUp
03-25-2003, 03:24 AM
:lightbulb

noktUp
03-25-2003, 03:28 AM
sorry they're a little hard to read.

bentllama
03-25-2003, 09:42 AM
correct me if I am wrong...but aint Chernobyl in Ukraine ???

noktUp
03-25-2003, 10:43 AM
good call.
but at the time of the incident, it was a soviet state.
:beer:
I fix!!

psilipsycho
03-25-2003, 06:40 PM
Yo noktupiddy.

storyboards look cool for the most part but they are very hard to see. curious to see how you will dispense his ashes.

peace outside

noktUp
03-29-2003, 05:07 AM
DaveW: Thnx, the name was apended by my friend Jeremy, I was originally going to call him the spontanious cumbustion human.

thanks for the Crits all.
I know they're a little hard to read, almost impossible,
but, I am no compression master, and you get the jist of the story.

Expect animatic later this evening. So far it looks a little fast, because it was originally 820 frames or so, and it had to be 450.

I kept the fancy camera pan and zoom, but I think in final cut it'll be dropped. I'll replace it with a simple fade. It will allow the audience time to take in the opening action. This will unfortunately kill and scene establishment but I think I can get the same effect with some phones ringing in the background. Or maybe a snazzy environment fade effect. I'll bang out an updated animatic for tonight.
I'll show both though:)

noktUp
03-30-2003, 02:38 AM
http://personal.laker.net/lars/andy/animatic.mov

that is the animatic for the animation. In final cut there'll be no camera pan, just a fade.

psilipsycho
03-31-2003, 03:00 AM
I like the animatic. The effects look cool. Fu...nee Very Fu...nee
The concept you wrote told a lot more of a story though. If there was a way to add more of your story into the animation, it would be a little more clear.

Peace out

noktUp
03-31-2003, 03:36 AM
I agree.
Maybe I'll be able to tell some more story with some props, and i was thinking about bringing in a prop for him to interact with. Like a desk toy, furbe or something. I have to find out what kinds of psycologial effects are visible in recently divorced people. Maybe a cracked picture of his exwife or some divorce papers. I could also put repo notices on his desk. short of that , i was pressed to get the originally 25 sec long sequence down to 15, so unfortunatly i have no idea how to cram more stoy in... maybe in one of those space saving vaccume sealed bags that NASA uses.

anDy

My Fault
03-31-2003, 05:10 AM
That's great! I like the idea of the photo. Maybe have him clutching a wedding pic of him and his wife that is sitting on his desk. Then when he burns have most of the picture frame burn up as well, except of course the part showing his wife.

Can't wait to see more :thumbsup:

noktUp
03-31-2003, 05:55 PM
Thanks d00d,

I am glad you liked it. It came out better on the screen then I had anticipated. I thought the punch line would have been lost in the trimming process, but the faster story progression gave the humor more emphasis. I like you idea about the picture frame, maybe I could have the character interacting with the picture of his ex-wife (person vs idea). I would deafanatly have to show more emotions during animation. I could even show the moment he becomes socio-pathic. His will breaks and he becomes the Spontanious Combust-Human.

I could also put DivorceHelp.com on the computer screen to further solidify the backStory.

The picture idea you expanded on, is great. I think that was the only missing element in the scene. It will give me the extra little story element that psilipsycho said was missing.

Thanks for the brain food, My Fault.
Props for the scene disection psilipsycho.

:beer:

andY

noktUp
04-01-2003, 05:02 PM
I whipped this up in about 2 hrs at werk.C:\Documents and Settings\operator\My Documents\My Pictures\SCHLogo.jpg

My Fault
04-01-2003, 05:02 PM
DivorceHelp.com...that's great! I really like where this is heading.

I definitely agree with you on the pacing and humor. 15 seconds seems crazy short at first but it forces you to really weed out anything not necessary to the story.

More, more, more! :applause:

noktUp
04-01-2003, 05:10 PM
Here is a logo I whipped up for the character. Its a little simple, because I wanted to start on the modeling so I kept it loose and quick.

Thnx agin for the input Mr. Fault.

Peace outside, mang!!!!!

My Fault
04-01-2003, 05:20 PM
Muhahahaha, that's gotta hurt! :applause:

noktUp
04-01-2003, 07:47 PM
Now on to modeling.

chepe297
04-13-2003, 04:21 AM
The animation looks pretty good so far. Maybe you want to check out the clip at http://www.10secondclub.org/.

August 2002 by Pete Devlin

The effect used in his one somewhat related to your animatics. Good luck! :scream:

noktUp
04-16-2003, 05:35 AM
I hit the link you posted but had trouble finding the specific clip you had mentioned. If you could link the exact link it would r0x0r.
Any how thanks for the post.

-anDy

chepe297
04-16-2003, 08:19 AM
No problem! Here is the link...

http://www.10secondclub.org/html/previous/2002/08_aug/video/12.mpg

Best of Luck!

SHARPART
04-16-2003, 04:09 PM
cool

noktUp
04-17-2003, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the link Chepe, I'll check it out.
Good looking out!

SHARPART: Thanks for the post.

Here is a Screen cap of the model for Esteban:
I'm a little lost on how to do the eyes. The current contestant is made of a poly circle, and a poly object.
I realy have no idea how that will work, but I'm sure that I dont want to use a traditional sphere with geometry eye lids. I really wanted a cartoony feel with out the toon shader(cause it looks like arse on low polys.

ANY IDEAS WOULD BE PHIZZAT!!

noktUp
04-17-2003, 05:15 AM
Big Pimp'en Props to Chepe!!

Thanks for the link, it spawned many ideas!!

Kick Ass!!!

noktUp
04-22-2003, 01:52 AM
Allas I havnt the time to compleete the challange. The MOD I am working on requires my full attension. I just got done banging out a new in game character, and have two more to do in the imediate future. I will try to finnish he animation by next month so you guys can take a look at it. Look for it in the finnished work/gallery forum. I appologise to all the peeps that busted their ass's and made kick ass anims. I'll try to get in on one of the next challanges, after some more practice. Shout out to mah homies.

You mutha fuqers gonna get a run fo yo money, on the next challange I enter.

Sorry again.(bows head in shame)

anDy

Kid-Mesh
04-22-2003, 05:32 AM
No need to be ashamed, we all have our priorties. MODS are a beast unto themselves. I have been involved in a total of 4 and only one was near completion. ME = Programmer :cool:

But good luck to you with your MOD and please do finish your animation because it seemed intresting... I would have very much like to see how you were gonna implement the combustion aspect of it.

woot woot

noktUp
04-22-2003, 10:54 PM
Thanks kid mesh!!!

I was actually gonna blow it off, before you posted!!
I became a little disillusioned when my posts went unaswered.
Just seened like no one was interested in giving ideas, just taking them. Or thats how it felt any way. (bar people like chepe and bishoplinx and few others) kid mesh included.

Any how, Thanks again for the interest KM!!
I'll finish up that anim by next month. I wanted to do it sooner, but the kats that were making the modles for the MOD left junk in the mesh's like double faces, holes, and up to 8 verts in the same spot, not to mention that none of the mesh's are articulate. So, I gotta go in and clean dat shit up, and the only thing their waiting on are the characters. So I am trying to push up the release date by busting my ass on these modles. Oh well, at least its fun.

thnks again all.

chepe297
04-23-2003, 12:07 AM
Yeah! That's right! Don't blow your animation off. I do wish you can finish off the animation.

I know that I am going to modify mine after the challenge so that the story is more "complete" rather than half cut (due to the 15 second time constraint).

Do remember to post up your finished animation once you have finished!

By the way... whats a MOD? :scream:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.