PDA

View Full Version : Rigging Reel

mikesun76
05-15-2007, 01:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L4ndQlJklI

This is my third year rigging demoreel, i just graduated from Seneca College animation program.

Tripple-I
05-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Great job, love the work on the cartoony face, auto fish swim is nice too :thumbsup:
Good luck in the market!!

luigi
05-16-2007, 10:28 AM
i like what i am seeing but will be any chance of a bigger resolution , whit the youtube quality you mis a lot of things on the fish and what is going on the ui and the channel box.
are you planing to put a quicktime or avi file???

csc2h
05-16-2007, 01:25 PM
Nice ree! I have some comments that might help you out...

Your reel is a little long for the content that you have on it. The first Character you have on there rigged is very good and solid. You spend a lot of time showing his controls, but I would have been more interested in seeing that walk cycle THEN the controls. Honestly by showing that animation, you prove that the legs, arms, head, etc already work in the rig and you really do not need to show all of the control movement for the legs and arms, etc... The fish was good also , I would have liked to see an animation with it though...

I think overall that your reel is too long for just the 2 rigs that you have. Rigging reels are usually not very exciting and they really are not supposed to be, so keep it short and sweet. Also when you show controls, there is really no need to show the basic basic stuff like IK legs/etc. You show some pretty complicated stuff in there already so don't spend more time showing that your leg can move unless you have done something very unique with it.

Also on the walk cycle, I am not sure that the hair simulation is needed. It pulls me away from looking at the animation and deformations of the character and forces me to focus on the hair. Its not a very complicated simulation either, so my suggestion would be to take it out. Only show eye candy stuff like that if you are going for a simulation job or you have done something very new and hard with hair/cloth etc. If you are intent on keeping that, definitely make the hair not so bright or texture the character so the focus isn't on the hair, but the character as a whole. And again, put this animation first! It's a good solid walk cycle and shows that your rigs and deformations work right up front, then show how you did it... :)

I hope these crits help some. I like your reel, just needs a little fine tuning and a little more cutting. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

-Chase Cooper-
Character TD
www.3dcooper.com

mikesun76
05-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Thanks Tripple-I!

luigi, thanks, I have a very big wav file about 700mb, i don't know if it is too big to upload here.

csc2h, thanks so much for the advise i will definatly make the reel shorter and better, I am working on another character and some MEL programming. I will put up a new reel.

thanks again for all of you guys!

mikesun76
06-03-2007, 03:21 PM
a downloadable version of my reel:

http://rapidshare.com/files/34660014/DaweiSunDemo.mov

you need to click the "free" button and enter some code to download it. thanks!

Neomax
06-04-2007, 11:26 AM
I think if you just follow what csc2h has suggested you, your reel will be better.

mikesun76
06-13-2007, 02:34 AM
to Neomax: working on it, will put together a new reel with new stuff and MEL script in it. thanks.

Neomax
06-17-2007, 06:54 AM
Show some more of skinning and mesh deformation in your reel, that will impress the recruiter, cause, as a matter of fact, very few persons show Skinning and understanding of deformations in their reel.

mikesun
08-03-2007, 11:27 PM
Improved my Demoreel, and I have MEL script Up to my blog: http://daweisun.blogspot.com/

C&C are welcome, Thanks everyone!

CGTalk Moderation
08-03-2007, 11:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.