PDA

View Full Version : Zbrush 3 - The Next Step is taken!

Pages : 1 [2]

alvin-cgi
05-17-2007, 12:29 PM
YEEEEEEHAAAAA... GOT IT:scream:

cresshead
05-17-2007, 12:31 PM
still waiting...:sad:
mind you i only bought it a few months back and only installed zb2 last week!
....they'll get round to me no doubt:thumbsup:

ThomasMahler
05-17-2007, 12:33 PM
NOt sure how to use the move tool now. It seems that is has become the transpose tool now. I love the new materials, and the brushes are more delicate at higher pressures and you don't need to use brush size 1 to make tiny marks on a mesh. There are seems to be a nicer deform curve to the standard brush so less smooth is required to make muscles. The shadows are amazing! They are so useful and really help with letting you know how deep your cutting into the mesh.

Think that way:

When you're in Brush, or 'Draw' Mode, you have your brushes. Tweak is now a brush. It's the move brush. So you've got all the brushes in one place now and don't have to switch through q and w all the time. W is used for Transpose now, so you can move objs around, deform objs, etc.

So, 2 modes, one for brush deformations, the other for rigs and translations. Mucho better.

Womball
05-17-2007, 12:43 PM
So where are the brushes than? I'm used to use the inflate, sub, add brushes from zbrush 2.0 I could do most things I wanted with them. But now the flatten brush looks fun, as does this tweak brush.

Seems like things are moved around quite a bit, so it will take me a little while to get used to every thing. Shifting subdivision levels is still kind of slow, but I guess that's not to big of a deal. Its probably techinically complex to do program wise. Right now I'm just happy the tools are more accurate and I can sculpt at 6 million polys finally. Probably more, but I don't want to push it with the XSI rendering in the background.

ThomasMahler
05-17-2007, 01:28 PM
I dunno if they changed it in the final, but in the latest beta, they positioned the brushes on the bottom of the screen, they pop up as soon as you're in draw mode. And you still have all of your old brushes, I don't quite get why you feel like they're missing.

Btw, guys, try the ZSpheres together with the new Retopo Tools - they're kickass. Now we can finally do figural forms completely in Z, check forms and gestures with ZSpheres and work out more usable topo with the topo tool. I'm currently looking into that, it's pretty kickass :)

Laa-Yosh
05-17-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm sure he will, and go further.
HD Exporter Geometry into Displacements maps
Multi Displacement 3
Arbitrary mesh projection and topology

Could someone, preferably a beta tester, enlighten me about this... So HD Geometry won't be captured in displacement maps at the moment? And the feature where we can extract displacement maps from a different highres model is not yet in, only the ZProject brush can be used for a workaround?

I've only had about 30 mins with it - have to work - but I have mixed feelings so far. It supports 10 million polys, cool, sculpting it is fast, too; but it's as slow to change levels, even slower to undo.
Shaders and new features are cool, but we're still FUBARed if we don't press the smoothUV button before sculpting and there seems to be no preferences setting to have it turned on by default. Seems like all these small but pretty annoying 'features' are still in, too... :(

Layer01
05-17-2007, 02:09 PM
still waiting...:sad:
mind you i only bought it a few months back and only installed zb2 last week!
....they'll get round to me no doubt:thumbsup:

uh oh, i bought it 2 days ago lol..guess i'll be waiting a while :banghead:
:D

havokzprodigy
05-17-2007, 04:00 PM
On a 8 core Mac I can push 6.2 mil poly's in realtime not sluggish at all. But if I try to subdivide more than that I get a insufficient core memory error. Anybody know what this is or how to fix it? I have 2 gigs of ram and it's only using around 1.2 gig at the time of the error.

Matt-Clark
05-17-2007, 04:18 PM
I've only had about 30 mins with it - have to work - but I have mixed feelings so far. It supports 10 million polys, cool, sculpting it is fast, too; but it's as slow to change levels, even slower to undo.

I guess you have to make allowances somewhere, when you consider the fact that you can now perform projection master like tasks on an 8 million poly mesh in near realtime is it astounding... I guess holding undo states in memory for 8 million polygon meshes just isn't realistic.

I'm loving it so far :)

Laa-Yosh
05-17-2007, 04:24 PM
I know the technical constraints and I can understand... our artists, however, have no clue and so they just keep demanding things ;)

sacslacker
05-17-2007, 04:45 PM
I dunno if they changed it in the final, but in the latest beta, they positioned the brushes on the bottom of the screen, they pop up as soon as you're in draw mode. And you still have all of your old brushes, I don't quite get why you feel like they're missing.

Btw, guys, try the ZSpheres together with the new Retopo Tools - they're kickass. Now we can finally do figural forms completely in Z, check forms and gestures with ZSpheres and work out more usable topo with the topo tool. I'm currently looking into that, it's pretty kickass :)

This right here is worth the price of the program alone. It's such a huge leap forward that it just makes me smile. I'm still trying to get used to it but after a couple hours of playing, I can see just how huge of a feature this is. Gotta love ZBrush.

By the way, I have a dual Opteron (275) with 4GB of ram and I was pushing 20 mil+ polys with no problem at all. That's just sick!

jantim
05-17-2007, 06:00 PM
No, not for me...although...my scene lights dont seem to be updating in the preview at all. I may have to break down and read about the difference between the scene lights and whatever lightsource is used for the realtime shadows....

If you use a MatCapmaterial-like red wax- you don't get a preview-light
update..MatCapmaterials have the lighting information "baked in" ,so to speak, if you do a "best "render they can look overexposed, they look best in previewmode !

jantim

Ariel
05-17-2007, 06:12 PM
Does anyone know if there's a different installer for Windows Xp 64-bit? I just installed the regular version and even though it installs fine, when I run the program, it automatically crashes on startup. I'm guessing there must be a different 64 bit version because it installed by default in the 32 bit Program Files folder, instead of in the 64 bit folder.

On my home machine (32 bit system), it runs fine.

ambient-whisper
05-17-2007, 06:13 PM
On a 8 core Mac I can push 6.2 mil poly's in realtime not sluggish at all. But if I try to subdivide more than that I get a insufficient core memory error. Anybody know what this is or how to fix it? I have 2 gigs of ram and it's only using around 1.2 gig at the time of the error.
if you are using windows 32bit, then yes you will run into a memory issue because 6 million multiplied by 4 is 24 million... which is a bit too much polys to fit within a 32 bit environment( well on the windows side anyway, on OSX it shouldnt be a problem )

however what you want to do is not subdivide it after 6 million using the geometry submenu, but rather you want to use the HD divide section. ( if it made this particular release. )
with HD divide you should be able to go to 1 billion without much issue.

ambient-whisper
05-17-2007, 06:15 PM
Does anyone know if there's a different installer for Windows Xp 64-bit? I just installed the regular version and even though it installs fine, when I run the program, it automatically crashes on startup. I'm guessing there must be a different 64 bit version because it installed by default in the 32 bit Program Files folder, instead of in the 64 bit folder.

On my home machine (32 bit system), it runs fine.

its the same installer, and ive been running it just fine on the 64 bit windows for a while now without any issues at all. i had startup problems but that was because i didnt install the net framework or whatever it was. its installed by default as far as i understand now, so it shouldnt be an issue. check with pixo.

ambient-whisper
05-17-2007, 06:17 PM
Could someone, preferably a beta tester, enlighten me about this... So HD Geometry won't be captured in displacement maps at the moment? And the feature where we can extract displacement maps from a different highres model is not yet in, only the ZProject brush can be used for a workaround?

Shaders and new features are cool, but we're still FUBARed if we don't press the smoothUV button before sculpting and there seems to be no preferences setting to have it turned on by default. Seems like all these small but pretty annoying 'features' are still in, too... :(
i know a few people who were completely mixed as well, and infact hated zb3 at first ( they were both really keen on mud ), but once you really get the feel for the brushes, and the extra behaviours you can get with em, you'll love it for what it does. im almost certain of that.

ScottC
05-17-2007, 06:20 PM
If you use a MatCapmaterial-like red wax- you don't get a preview-light
update..MatCapmaterials have the lighting information "baked in" ,so to speak, if you do a "best "render they can look overexposed, they look best in previewmode !

jantimAh thanks! Good to know. But are you saying the matcap function isnt really good for deriving materials to use in a scene thats to be rendered in ZB?

Regarding the 10 mil practical polygon limit, Ill concur. As stated earlier in the thread, for me as well, anything much past 10 mil "actual" polys and the program becomes unstable. But up until that point, Im still sculpting smoothly ...so the program will actually crash from burden before in-program performance suffers. I just think thats crazy.

But thats seperate from the crazy polycount numbers I get from the "HD geometry" function...I dont understand that at all yet. I do understand its some sort of "smoke and mirrors" type operation.

Transpose just works. Its got to be just about the easiest and most intuitive way you could possibly do character mesh deformation. Theres really not much more needed to say about it beyond that.

lovisx
05-17-2007, 06:22 PM
for those who have crashed z3, what were you doing... just too many polies?

ambient-whisper
05-17-2007, 06:39 PM
Ah thanks! Good to know. But are you saying the matcap function isnt really good for deriving materials to use in a scene thats to be rendered in ZB?

Regarding the 10 mil practical polygon limit, Ill concur. As stated earlier in the thread, for me as well, anything much past 10 mil "actual" polys and the program becomes unstable. But up until that point, Im still sculpting smoothly ...so the program will actually crash from burden before in-program performance suffers. I just think thats crazy.

But thats seperate from the crazy polycount numbers I get from the "HD geometry" function...I dont understand that at all yet. I do understand its some sort of "smoke and mirrors" type operation.

Transpose just works. Its got to be just about the easiest and most intuitive way you could possibly do character mesh deformation. Theres really not much more needed to say about it beyond that.

if you have 64 bit windows that count can go much higher.
on 32bit windows i generally stay below 12million. or 9 million of raw polygons in a scene if i plan to do polypainting.

Laa-Yosh
05-17-2007, 06:41 PM
i know a few people who were completely mixed as well, and infact hated zb3 at first ( they were both really keen on mud ), but once you really get the feel for the brushes, and the extra behaviours you can get with em, you'll love it for what it does. im almost certain of that.

Well it seems ZB3 ahtes me... whatever I click after startup, it quits immediately... Need to reinstall I guess.

ScottC
05-17-2007, 06:44 PM
on 32bit windows i generally stay below 12million. or 9 million of raw polygons in a scene if i plan to do polypainting.

Not to threadjack, but how is the state of 64 bit XP these days, drivers and such? I had always avoided it because I didnt want to give up my aging peripherals (scanners and such). Im certainly not ready to go Vista, but I could give XP64 another look. Is ZB3 64 bit, or is there a seperate version that you would need, like there was for zb2?

yolao
05-17-2007, 06:53 PM

hey Martin, what`s the system specs. of the video that you posted yesterday?

BTW, thanks for posting that...great posed figure!:thumbsup:

ambient-whisper
05-17-2007, 07:07 PM
old intel dual core 820D
3gb ram
geforce7800gtx

my laptop is faster ( as far as zbrush is concerned, but it only has 2gb ram and 32 bit windows.

cant wait for zb3 on osx. its memory management is SOOO much better than windows.

yolao
05-17-2007, 07:19 PM
thanks Martin.

what would you think will be a factor for the speed polygon handle....ram, video card....both?

ambient-whisper
05-17-2007, 07:23 PM
thanks Martin.

what would you think will be a factor for the speed polygon handle....ram, video card....both?

you could have a crappy videocard and it wouldnt make that much difference. ( well thats how its always been. not sure if its changed since. ). zbrush mostly relies on having lots of ram, and fast processors. thats about it. ( the speed of your memory will help lots too, obviously ). ( also a fast hard disk can help as well )

Per-Anders
05-17-2007, 07:24 PM
thanks Martin.

Number of polygons = RAM (and running on a 64bit os)

Speed of editing = processor, though forget multithreading, on an 8 core mac pro 3.0 the multithreading speedup is a paltry 66% (i.e. 1.66x faster than a single processor), barely worth it. So just make sure you have the fastest possible single core, and any additional cores you have will give a small additional speedup. ZBrush viewport is software shaded, so doesn't use your graphics card.

DaddyMack
05-17-2007, 08:55 PM
I've got a tablet pc Acer c312xmi single core 1.8ghz with 2gb and a geforce go6200... pretty lame specs IMHO but a breeze to work with. ZB3 lets me have around 4 million polys or so before it starts to lag... woohoo!

Loving the new tools and higher cielings:D

troy1617
05-17-2007, 08:59 PM
hey ambient-whisper just wondering around what time you will be posting your timlapse for zbrush3 really loved your one for zbrush2 but one request could you make the resoulution higher then the one you posted on pixologic i know you posted a higher resolution one but could never find it again after they posted the smaller one so could you post it higerrez so we can see everything thanks cant wait to see your timelapse!!! oh and on last question does zbrush3 have tangent based symetry so we can sculpt on a posed mesh?

ambient-whisper
05-17-2007, 09:14 PM
the first one i post will be 640x480, itll also be the shorter, and to the point version.

i will probably also release a larger version that is longer as well, but that one might be several gigs big... so, someone will have to torrent the thing.

yolao
05-17-2007, 09:20 PM
hey Martin, Per-Anders and Rob, thanks for the info guys!..

Jozvex
05-18-2007, 12:22 AM
Not to threadjack, but how is the state of 64 bit XP these days, drivers and such?

Unfortunately the only way to truly find out, is to go and look at what drivers all your peripheral vendors are providing. I use XP 64 though and all my hardware is now fully compatible. Logitech webcam, HP printer/scanner, wacom, canon digital camera, panasonic DV camcorder etc. None of them were compatible initially but most companies (except Logitech) were fast to put out 64-bit drivers.

Is ZB3 64 bit, or is there a seperate version that you would need, like there was for zb2?

It's just the one 64-bit version this time 'round.

:thumbsup:

fx81
05-18-2007, 04:59 AM
i cant seem to work properly with poly 3 mil and higher. it starts lagging.
i have seen the videos and they seem to be captured in a really low resolution.
my screen in 1920x1200. btw, in mudbox i can go up to 5 mil at that resolution easily and work in realtime.

my system specs are:

Win XP Pro
CPU: opteron 2ghz
RAM 2gb ECC
video geforce 7600GT 256mb
monitor 1920x1200 screen resolution (32bit)

zb3 settings:

compact mem 1024
doc undo 4
tool undo 4
maxpolypermesh 8

multidraw off multirender off
qtransthreshold1 2
brackground proc 0

any sugesstions?

ambient-whisper
05-18-2007, 06:00 AM
you dont have an opteron dual core?

anyway, turn up the memory to 1700mb

also. install the file within the troubleshoot folder
it should help. if not then theres obviously something wrong. cuz some people have been reporting that zb was shitty on one system but wicked fast on another..
it could totally be a windows config thing.

Stefan-Morrell
05-18-2007, 06:04 AM
is Zapplink still a part of Zbrush?..I can't find it anywhere,nothing in the docs about it either:shrug:

sacslacker
05-18-2007, 06:40 AM
They posted on zbrush central that it was being updated and to be released shortly. Zapplink that is.

yolao
05-19-2007, 01:28 AM
hey Martin K.

-What kind of material were you using in the posed figure shown on the video that you posted the other day?

-And speaking of videos, i read that you were planing to make some videos, any release date for that?:)

thanks

Ejecta
05-19-2007, 03:18 PM
Ive found it to be very stable except for the Rapid layout switching back forth bug. 4 year old GForce card, XP Pro, and 1gig o' ram. Runs very well and fast. :applause:

Laa-Yosh
05-19-2007, 03:23 PM
There's a bunch of default MatCap shaders included, metals, clay, skin and such... way better then the old stuff in ZB2.

Turns out my copy is not working because I've tried to switch the Welcome screen off in the preferences. Don't do that :)

fx81
05-19-2007, 03:44 PM
you dont have an opteron dual core?

anyway, turn up the memory to 1700mb

also. install the file within the troubleshoot folder
it should help. if not then theres obviously something wrong. cuz some people have been reporting that zb was shitty on one system but wicked fast on another..
it could totally be a windows config thing.

no dual core, its Opteron 146 2ghz.

i set memory to 1700mb but still lags when i am rotating a model which is only close to 2 million poly. the patch is basically visual c++ runtime i think which i already had installed long ago but installed it again anyways. no improvement from that either.

it could be 1920x1200 resolution because i have heard other people with big screen have performance issues.

i wish there was an option for hardware render in zb, then it would have at least taken advantage of my machine.

Wizdoc
05-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Did I understand correctly that the 7-10 million polygon limit (on a say, 32bit 2Gb machine and without HD geometry) is per tool? Meaning, say, I modeled a high-detail character, I could have those 7-10 million on all the sub-objects each, like shirt, boots, weapons etc. in addition to the main object, right?

el_diablo
05-19-2007, 05:11 PM
mashru, did you try to make the window sizable and reduce its size to 1/4 of the screen? Does that improve performance?

fx81
05-19-2007, 06:52 PM
mashru, did you try to make the window sizable and reduce its size to 1/4 of the screen? Does that improve performance?

yes, its lot faster if i go to 1024x768 desktop res and canvas size of 640x480. but i cant work in that small area.
setting render/Preview Shadows/ObjShadow to 0 help the performance also. even after all that i cant go to this 50 million poly dream land and with that ugly faceted preview which they didnt fix its pointless to work in a lower res mesh. so far, mudbox 1 is faster and stable than zbrush 3 in my machine.

el_diablo
05-19-2007, 08:39 PM
My guess at the problem is that at high res CPU has just too much to do... :)

Since Zbrush doesnt use OpenGL or Direct3d vertex or pixel services (AFAIK) GPU doesnt do much... Well maybe it uses a small subset to display the pixels (blitting functions), but still CPU does too much at high rez.

ambient-whisper
05-23-2007, 04:26 AM
Hey guys, is anyone here good with making torrents?

I finished my timelapse video, and it sits at one hour long, 640x480, and is 300 megs big using the h264 quicktime codec. now comes the distribution part, and any help will be appreciated. I'll make a separate thread about it once its setup.

bluemagicuk
05-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Install bit comet
http://www.bitcomet.com/
open/File/create torrent
upload the timelapse.mov.torent to your web site
give someone the link to test before you create a thread about it.
thats it

Bit comet needs to be open on your pc for people to download from it of course.

If you encounter connection problems there is a great tool on windows that you can download from microsoft which will tell you which ports on any program are being blocked by firewalls or routers called tcpview (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/TcpView.mspx).

Torrents works brilliantly in the short term but lots of torrents on this site like the maya mel tutorials and that 10gig photo texture torrent practically died after a month.

Cheers
-dirk

ashrafazlan
05-23-2007, 10:12 AM
you could also try uploading to google video or youtube (although you might have to split it into several movies)

bluemagicuk
05-23-2007, 10:15 AM
By the way as a zb2 owner i still havent had the upgrade details despite several emails to pixologic am i the only one who doesnt have zb3 here?

ambient-whisper
05-23-2007, 03:59 PM
so far, this is the first link.

i gave the real link off my site to a few friends, so you should see torrents appear within a day or so. but for now this is the only method that i know that you can get it.

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v525816fTn4JAMR/

su
05-23-2007, 05:32 PM
so far, this is the first link.

i gave the real link off my site to a few friends, so you should see torrents appear within a day or so. but for now this is the only method that i know that you can get it.

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v525816fTn4JAMR/

that is awesome! thank you so much!

CGTalk Moderation
05-23-2007, 05:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.