PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Iebe, main game character

DogmaD
05-14-2007, 09:08 PM
I am modeling one of the main characters for a game I am working on with a couple of friends who help me on and off. Me being the main programmer / concept artist, and modeler ( I am a bit of an all-rounder I guess :D, and it is hard to find good, active company :sad: ). We are building it with XNA/C#, targeting the xbox 360. Softdistortion is also part of the team. He has opened a thread on environment work here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=39&t=493862). We plan to finish it in the next 9 months or so. Drop him a line, I am very grateful that he is helping me on this project.

http://www.tangrin.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/iebe21.jpg

Color impression ( no texture yet)

http://www.tangrin.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/iebe3.jpg

Face

http://www.tangrin.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/iebe1.jpg

The mesh is currently sitting at about 4700 polygons including weapons, but I still need to do optimizations. For example, the shoes have unneeded polygons, arms need some optimizing, etc. I will add some extra polygons to the hands, they are a bit low detail compared to the rest.

I am interesting in what you guys think of the color scheme, how the character reads, and, offcourse, general advice on the model :).

Thanks!

ArchangelTalon
05-14-2007, 09:18 PM
Really nice model, I like. Nothing much to crit on except animation could prove problematic with so many overlaid bits of cloth.

What's the tri count? (you said 2500 polys but I'm guessing it's closer to 5k tris?)

DogmaD
05-14-2007, 09:24 PM
I am not sure, I also find it hard to believe it is at 2.5k. The new polycounter in max points to a little under 2500, but I am not sure if it is actually counting tris...If it counts all polygons, then yes, around 5k, probably down to about 4k when I am done optimizing. I really need an accurate counter :D. Does anyone know a good replacement for what is currently provided? (converted it to editable mesh, showing 4.7k polygons now )

As for animation, hehe, yeah, i know, will be interesting to say the least :surprised.

glynnsmith
05-14-2007, 11:52 PM
You don't need to convert to edit mesh to get a tri count. If you're using max9, you should be able to right click on your viewport label, and then go to the relevant tab and add tri counts to your readout.

Nice looking character. Best of luck :)

G

Deadalus
05-15-2007, 02:45 AM
cool model. look a bit like the red riding hood.
btw no need to convert your mesh to edit mesh just go customize>viewport Configuration>statistic anc check Triangle Count. Also i usually change the Total chexbox to total + selection. its a matter of personnal taste i guess.

Maybe i'll drop you a mail . i was once interested by doing a game for XNA but since i dont own a Xbox i gave up. anyways. i'll follow this thread progression.

DogmaD
05-15-2007, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the replies :). Yeah, i was already looking for a feature like that in max, will be very helpful. Deadalus, I can always use some good help, so drop me a line if you have some time to dedicate to the project.

At the moment, I am mostly looking for a very skilled animator, but they are rare:).

switchblade327
05-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Really nice model, I like. Nothing much to crit on except animation could prove problematic with so many overlaid bits of cloth.

Agreed. I don't know what kind of game you're making or what the camera position will be but that strand of hair in her face and over her shoulder as well as the skirt ar the big problems I see. Do you have a plan for that skirt? For the hair to work, it'd need it's own chain of bones and more resolution.

But if it's a 3rd person game where you won't see the face much, this probably isn't the best use of polys and bones. Might be better to axe the hair strand and focus on making the skirt work. Same goes for the hair on her shoulder. Modeling it like that is going to look weird when she runs or makes sharp direction changes (which again, depends on her intended use). It'd be safer to give her a ponytail or just have the hair up in the hood.

The top/shirts should be fine as long as you haven't modelled much beneath the edges of the layers to interpentrate.

I also think the hands look a little chunky for the resolution you have with the rest of the model but otherwise it's pretty cool. Making the arm all one smoothing group will help but it could also use a bit more resolution in the fingers.

DogmaD
05-16-2007, 08:30 AM
Agreed. I don't know what kind of game you're making or what the camera position will be but that strand of hair in her face and over her shoulder as well as the skirt ar the big problems I see. Do you have a plan for that skirt? For the hair to work, it'd need it's own chain of bones and more resolution.

But if it's a 3rd person game where you won't see the face much, this probably isn't the best use of polys and bones. Might be better to axe the hair strand and focus on making the skirt work. Same goes for the hair on her shoulder. Modeling it like that is going to look weird when she runs or makes sharp direction changes (which again, depends on her intended use). It'd be safer to give her a ponytail or just have the hair up in the hood.

The top/shirts should be fine as long as you haven't modelled much beneath the edges of the layers to interpentrate.

I also think the hands look a little chunky for the resolution you have with the rest of the model but otherwise it's pretty cool. Making the arm all one smoothing group will help but it could also use a bit more resolution in the fingers.

Thank you for the advice. The game will be the 3d side scrolling kind. So you will be looking at the character side-ways most of the time, but the camera will be moving around quite a bit, to find the most useful/impressive position for the job. I am planning to use placeholder textures for the game characters untill I am nearly finished. This way I can easily optimize the polycounts, without having to fix my texture every time I make a change.

About the rig, I am currently fixing the geometry issues, like the hands, shoes, and merging the cloths in a way that they will not start clipping. I am planning on animating the scarf, but I am not too sure about the hair yet. I will first have to do some animations to see how it looks and go from there. The dress is about at knee level, I did this on purpose to make it easier to bend the legs, but I might need some extra polygons on the bottom.

I will not have time to update this untill next tuesday or so, because I will be on a short holiday, but I will hopefully have the rig done next tuesday/wednesday. Here is another character I am working on:

http://www.tangrin.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/had2.jpg

Still very rough, only been working on him last night in between fixing the girl. But I think he has potential :).

switchblade327
05-16-2007, 09:06 AM
If it's a side-scroller especially, then a ponytail is probably going to be your best bet for good secondary motion on the hair, with enough bones and resolution to make some nice arcs with it.

And smart move with the placeholder texture. Contrary to popular belief, you don't need finished, polished assets to prototype.

CGTalk Moderation
05-16-2007, 09:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.