PDA

View Full Version : Noob Question about MB Pipeline.

achilles86
05-14-2007, 05:41 PM
So I'm considering learning about Motion Builder as it does seem like a very powerful tool. My question is if I model a character and build clothing on top of the character (not actually attached) do I bind it to my skeleton and export that with the character? Do I bother setting up the weights? Or how does that work with MB.

markdc
05-14-2007, 09:18 PM
So I'm considering learning about Motion Builder as it does seem like a very powerful tool. My question is if I model a character and build clothing on top of the character (not actually attached) do I bind it to my skeleton and export that with the character? Do I bother setting up the weights? Or how does that work with MB.

Unless you're going to render in MB, I would animate in MB without clothes (unless they are part of the model). I don't transfer the model back to max (in my case), I just transfer the animation onto the rig.

achilles86
05-15-2007, 12:24 AM
Neat, I guess my next question is - if that were the case would it cause the body to clip through the clothing? Or does the animation get applied by actually moving the surrounding vertices? Like I said I'm completely new to this and really don't know these things. Thanks for your responses

Unless you're going to render in MB, I would animate in MB without clothes (unless they are part of the model). I don't transfer the model back to max (in my case), I just transfer the animation onto the rig.

markdc
05-16-2007, 12:25 AM
Neat, I guess my next question is - if that were the case would it cause the body to clip through the clothing? Or does the animation get applied by actually moving the surrounding vertices? Like I said I'm completely new to this and really don't know these things. Thanks for your responses

The animation goes onto the bones in your target app. You still do all the weighting in max so you have to make sure it works fine beforehand. That said, I use morphs (and sometimes painting in combustion) to fix problems like that. Also I hide or delete polys (using the edit mesh modifer) that are completely covered by the clothes. These types of issues come up no matter where the animation is done when the model and clothes are separate.

CurtisG
05-17-2007, 02:07 PM
Hey David,

How is Oil-Country? It's been awhile since I have been in the "City of [Oil Extracting] Champions", but the last time I was there it reminded me alot of an ant-hill: people everywhere, going everywhere, and somewhat dirty...;)

I was tempted to apply for a cashier position at 7-11 as well, as there were posting a $1000 signing bonus! Kick-ass!

Cheers,

Curtis

CGTalk Moderation
05-17-2007, 02:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.