PDA

View Full Version : Customized Control Rig

pkauffold
05-14-2007, 04:51 PM
I'm in the proces of trying to set up a control rig on a monster character that was exported from Maya with it's skeleton and had with four legs and two arms. I can get part of the way there with the quadruped rig, but I want to set up a the full rig on it (I like the control rig).

I can see that I can duplicate and move around the bones of the FK part of the control rig, but I need to integrate the IK part of it and attach it the main skeleton.

Anyway, the long and short of it is I need to do a custom control rig, and will likely have to do more in the future. Does anyone know of any tuturials or know of a good way of doing this? Or is MB just not made to do custom rigs for unusual beasties?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Phil

vfx3dartist
05-29-2007, 07:05 PM
I'm in the proces of trying to set up a control rig on a monster character that was exported from Maya with it's skeleton and had with four legs and two arms. I can get part of the way there with the quadruped rig, but I want to set up a the full rig on it (I like the control rig).

I can see that I can duplicate and move around the bones of the FK part of the control rig, but I need to integrate the IK part of it and attach it the main skeleton.

Anyway, the long and short of it is I need to do a custom control rig, and will likely have to do more in the future. Does anyone know of any tuturials or know of a good way of doing this? Or is MB just not made to do custom rigs for unusual beasties?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Phil

I'm not too sure on the custom control rig setup, but you might be able to run with a Biped setup and create ik constraints for the other two legs. You could also add the extra joints in the character rig so if you need to retarget you have the ability.

-jOe

alec.tron
05-30-2007, 08:39 AM
Hiya,
afaik in MB it s not possible to add limbs to the original rig, at least not if you want it to be built automatically by the standard (auto)rig. There s some workarounds though, you can for example use IK Constrains to have a basic ik behaviour, but there s no way that it will behave like the MB rig (pinning, etc). To make things worse, MB doesn t like multi constraint chains as far as I ve experienced, and some MB tools that are vital for custom rigs & limbs (Character Extensions anyone?) are flakey and seem poorly integrated when one has to rely on them in production...
So my suggestion would be, build a proper rig anywhere else but in MB....

My 0.02 Ariary, 0.04 Cents & 0.16 Tugrug.
c.

CGTalk Moderation
05-30-2007, 08:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.