PDA

View Full Version : setting up a simple animatable character

fig
03-14-2003, 04:57 PM
i'm learning maya PLE and hoping to do the animation challenge this month if i have the time. in order to do so i'll need to set up a simple rig to animate with which is where the hard part comes in :)

what i'd like to do is just a character of polys/boxes linked together like other recent participants have done. all the reference i've found has to do with setting up skeletons and deforming character models, a lot more involved than i need at this point. does anyone know of any tutorials/references/etc. that could help me link up a simple character (ideally IK, but i suppose i can't be too picky at this point) to animate? or am i missing the point and bones are the way to go? thanks for any info.

chris

Jozvex
03-14-2003, 08:50 PM
Bones are still the way to go. Just find a rigging tutorial that'll give you the control you want. and then just ignore the skinning part and parent your blocks to the bones instead.

www.maya3d.dk/links/tutorials/

That site has a searchable database of Maya tutorials!

fig
03-14-2003, 11:48 PM
awesome, i'll give it a shot, thanks :thumbsup:

chris

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.