PDA

View Full Version : FCurves editor will not update in the Viewer...ideas??

Redsand1080
05-14-2007, 11:10 AM
I was wondering if anyone else has had any problems with the FCurve Editor. I have a character that has been characterized using the standard procedure, but when I alter certain attributes in the FCurve editor (in this case, the rotate attributes on the lower back, upper back, and head) it does not change the animation at all. I can even change the value of a keyframe from 1 up to 100 in the FCurve window and see NO CHANGE in the viewer. It is as if I never changed the property in the FCurve window at all. It seems to completely ignore it.

Any ideas? I am completely baffled thus far. The kicker is...it only ignores certain attributes...because the translate and rotate attributes on other parts of the body, like the feet, hands, center of gravity, etc. work just fine!

Thanks so much. :thumbsup:

GiantG
05-14-2007, 05:52 PM
Remember the stuff with "Reach T" and "Reach R" with your Aux Effectors.
Your are running into the same issue

Redsand1080
05-15-2007, 09:12 AM
Wow...thanks a lot. Damn, I had no idea. I hunted around forever trying to figure out what the hell that was. Why does the 'reach t' and 'r' have anything to do with whether or not the graph editor works?

Kiwistylz
05-16-2007, 07:25 AM
Ki-ora Red ,

Wow...thanks a lot. Damn, I had no idea. I hunted around forever trying to figure out what the hell that was. Why does the 'reach t' and 'r' have anything to do with whether or not the graph editor works?

Motionbuilder works on a dual FK and IK rig :) The reason you are experiencing your problem is when you are selecting any body part from within the character controlls it is only selecting the IK skeleton.... The kicker is...it only ignores certain attributes...because the translate and rotate attributes on other parts of the body, like the feet, hands, center of gravity, etc. work just fine! yes they will work just fine .. this is because they will have there IK`s switched on . Reach T and R is forcing your character to match its IK skeleton in Translation and Rotation. You may notice some of your body parts ie the bits u mention have a solid green center circle this indicates the IK is switched ON.. insted of a hollow transparent center which indicates the FK skeleton is driving .. If u want to edit any of the FK bones in your skeleton you must Select them directly from the FK(Yellow) skeleton itself .. Anywho ,,

Hope this made some sense

Cheers ..

p.s : if your wanting to get all your Fk curves showing in your FCurves along with when you select your IK ,, see tips n tricks thread

Redsand1080
05-16-2007, 02:06 PM
Excellent. Thanks so much. Now that you point it out it makes perfect sense. Excellent job of explaining it as well. I didn't realize that I was only manipulating the IK portion of the skeleton in the FCurve window. I guess the thing I need to keep in mind when working in this software is that I'm keying a control rig that blends between 2 different skeletons, and never keying the actual skeletens themselves. It's an awesome way to work...but a little confusing at first untill you learn where all the controls are and how to control the blending between the 2. Otherwise, 'strange' things crop up (like this inability to manipulate curves in the FCurve window), but they are not actually strange once you understand why it's happening.

Anyways...thanks again. :thumbsup:

daniloxl
02-02-2008, 07:58 PM
if you want to manipulate the curves from the FK skeleton and show then in FCurve editor even when you select the IK handles from the picker, on the Key Control Panel, under the animation menu, check Display Keying Group...then on the bottom of the left side of FCurve editor you will see a Keying Group menu that you have to expand and then you'll see the FK nodes with their curves

CGTalk Moderation
02-02-2008, 07:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.