PDA

View Full Version : LW books

samartin
01-04-2002, 11:47 AM
Hi all,

I was just wondering what kinda books u LW'ers have been reading up on (if at all) ???

I was wondering this cos' I have just invested in Lightwave 6.5 Effects Magic, I know I should have asked all u LW'ers 1st (oh well). I'm just crossing my fingers hoping that this book covers all I need to know. Would b good 2 hear from people who have bought this book or have other recommendations ... :)

sAm

Bytehawk
01-04-2002, 02:18 PM
effects magic is not really a beginners book although i'm sure if you already have some experience you will find this book ery good. It's more like a cookbook with recipies for different effects.

I'd recomend inside LW 7 when it is published later this month.

also there's a great many sites with tutorials on the net you can do.

cerreto
01-04-2002, 09:06 PM
Digital light and rendering- is a general and useful book also I would say the lw 7 book also.

The tapes from desktop images and dan alban are also good I haven't viewed them all but the ones i have are good

Bytehawk
01-04-2002, 09:23 PM
good point cerreto,

I have that book (Digital light and rendering) too and learnt a great deal from it.

samartin
01-07-2002, 06:01 AM
Hi again,

Thanx 4 the feedback, makes me think that I've done the right thing (phew)...

I do have experience but it was more the modelling side of things, for aircraft more than anything but what I'd like to learn more about is organic modelling ie characters and the uv texturing side of things.

I didn't really get on with the LW6 manual as I can't stand reading but the effects book sounds interesting the way u describe it (cookbook). How would u rate this book 4 the way I would like to use it ???

Bytehawk
01-07-2002, 09:45 AM
about lw6.5 magic:

Well, I have it for a year now and have rarely used it to follow the tutorials in it. I actually read it like a normal book, picking up on techniques that, for me, are useful.

It sits next to the LW manual and whenever I need a specific effect I know is in there, I get the book and refresh on that specific chapter.

In long term it is really useful ++++
In short term it seems not, but don't let that fool you

I guess the same applies to digital lighting and rendering. It helped me make more out of lighting and do things I would never have thought of before. (like the use of cookies - just to stay in the food analogies)

The book I'm looking forward to getting my mits on is inside LW7. The biggest LW book ever published. It 'll be a workout reading that in bed... :D

Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.