PDA

View Full Version : how to zero rotations on the ik joint???

purpp
05-13-2007, 11:58 AM
hello friends,
I created a 3 joint chain from shoulder to wrist for my character's arm. The joint chain i have created was perfectly straight and horizontal (with help snapping tools). I rotated the joints to set preferred angles and then i reset the rotations to zero. Now when i create a ik handle the joints get some rotation values . How can the rotation value be set to zero?? I am using maya 7.

P.S If i follow the same procedure in maya 8.5 i get perfect result and zero rotations on the joint. Is this a bug in maya 7 or am i doing something wrong.

Please help

Thanks
Purpp

knekker
05-15-2007, 10:25 AM
This is a quote from a gnomon tutorial (http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/tutorials/arm_ik_fk.html)

"The solution to this is to select the elbow joint and type the following in the command line: "joint -e -zso -oj xyz -ch". This will align the local rotation axis of the elbow, and its children, with their respective descending bones, getting us back to our original local rotation axis orientations."

Hope it helps =)

purpp
05-18-2007, 07:57 AM
thanks knekker,
But it does not work. It works b4 attaching IK handle . I managed to get the joint rotaion values on the ik joint cain to zero. But as soon as i move my ik handle and undo to reset the position of ik handle the joints get some rotaion values.
I am wondering if its ok to have rotation values on ik joints ??

CGTalk Moderation
05-18-2007, 07:57 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.