PDA

View Full Version : How to use a rendered max TGA file and Z Deth file to add DOF in After effects??

PIXAR
04-03-2002, 01:44 PM
i have rendered a sequence of TGA's with their own Z Depth file (max render element).

But how to use these 2 files in After Effects to add Depth of Field? I know it used to work, but i can't remember how.

DOF in max takes too long and in After Effects it can be done in real time, just like Combustion 2.

many thanks in advance, this is gonna save me tons of render time!

L0rd
04-09-2002, 07:30 AM
You need to use a compound blur. With both the RGB version and Z-Depth Version in your time line in after effects apply a compound Blur to the RGB layer and set the blur layer source to the Z-Depth layer (which you can now switch visability off for.)

Compound Blur works off the source layer's luminance levels, white being full blur black being no blur.

Hope that's helpful

Good luck.

Chris Becker
04-15-2002, 11:43 PM
Try this. In Affter Effects, Duplicate your BackGround footage,
To your duplicate BackGround layer (top layer), apply Effect>Channel>Set Matte, set the "take matte from layer" to your DOF/Z-depth Layer. in the drop down menu "use for matte" set to Luminance. (you may need to "invert matte")
Now when you apply simple Gaussian Blur to this layer it will only blur where the z-depth matte is white :) (or black if you inverted it)

Hint: If you use an animated levels call on the DOF to push the black in or out you can get an "focusing in or out" effect.
This is because the above blur is only effecting where it is white on your DOF layer :)

Hope that inspires you a lttle more.

Chris
cbecker@cgchannel.com:thumbsup:

henry
04-20-2002, 04:44 PM
or instead of exporting your 3d as tga file export it as RLA then apply the Depth of Field effect in 3D Channel

PIXAR
04-20-2002, 06:10 PM
the RLA solution is the fastest and most easy one, thanks guys, saved me hours of waiting:applause: :applause: :applause:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.