PDA

View Full Version : Fairy And Snake, Stahlberg (3D), (3D)

Stahlberg
03-14-2003, 10:09 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/566/fairy_snake_3d_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/566/fairy_snake_3d.jpg)

Title: Fairy And Snake, Stahlberg (3D)
Name:
Software: Maya

Anyway this is my entry to Animago 2003 'Still' category, and also I think to this years 3d Festival event, sorry to shove it in your faces again (it started with my 2d version, and then the WIP that's lasted quite a while...) lord knows I'm getting tired of it myself... but it's finally done, and before I submit it I'd just like to have some last feedback - thanks. :)
(edit: here's (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46459&perpage=15&pagenumber=1) a link to the WIP thread if you're interested)

pezz
03-14-2003, 10:14 AM
One word: Amazing. Everything about the still is utterly amazing.

I wouldn't mind having this up on my wall as a poster :)

lildragon
03-14-2003, 10:21 AM
Wow Steven the cleanup is a beaut! I'll update the gallery entry for you. I really like what you did with the contrast, very strong very in your face. I also love the soft skin of the fairy, very well done there Mr. Stahlberg :thumbsup:

salud

Norb
03-14-2003, 10:21 AM
looks wicked, I think that the ground could use a bit more texture work to it..

Cheers

Norb

Duffman
03-14-2003, 10:24 AM
wow. :surprised

I loved the 2d sketch of this scene, it was one of my favorite CG art pieces. And now it's in 3d! You sir, are my hero.

I think a small animation is in order... :drool:

ceql
03-14-2003, 10:24 AM
Wowwe! I've been watching the WIP, and it's great to see it finished! ahh I'm still awestruck ;) :bounce: :bounce:

samartin
03-14-2003, 10:31 AM
Duffman said exactly what I was going to say...

I never thought you would have matched the original painting but how wrong could someone be ???

Now I have the dilemma of replacing my fave 2d piece, with the 3d version on my desktop ARGHHH !!!

:applause: :applause: :applause:

MartinNH
03-14-2003, 10:41 AM
Great work Steven! It's very true to the original. You did a very good job on the dragon, I think it looks more convincing here than on your painting. I liked the faery better in the painting, but she's still vere beautifull here.

I'm not to fond of the smudging on the hair on the back of her head, and I think the drool comming from the dragons mouth kinda disturbs the flow of the composition.

Good luck with Animago, I'm sure your chances will be very good :)

akewt
03-14-2003, 10:45 AM
OMFG. absolutley amazing. i saw the WIP and it has come a long way and i thought it was damn good when u posted the first sketch. u are very talented guy. i wish i had the time and patience you have for something that great.

will you get paid for this piece or is it personally work?

JamesMK
03-14-2003, 10:49 AM
Simply amazing. The thing that gets me the most is the fact that you had already made it perfectly sweet in 2D prior to this... You spend quite a lot of money on coffee each week, don't you?

That face is possibly the most beautiful thing I've seen in 3D so far... And I'm talking about the girl now :D

The only thing that seems a bit off is her hair. The part of it on her shoulder looks, I dunno, somewhat strange... But still, the overall image is several magnitudes greater than most could ever make!

KazuyaMochu
03-14-2003, 10:53 AM
This is very very cool

it's very loyal to the original painting, and it actualy does resamble to a painting.

I just love tge girls face.
just the snake doesn't seem to have expression, but thats ok for me!

plus, I think that if you could add a shine or a light spot to the snake's drool, it would help it out. ou make it thiker and have refraction to it...I don't know...

well, great work again, and... well, keep them comming!

Kazuya

tomb
03-14-2003, 10:55 AM
My favorite 3D image ever. :love:

matzo
03-14-2003, 11:07 AM
Wonderful.....just wonderful!

gjeoffreys
03-14-2003, 11:13 AM
Really great work! :thumbsup:

One thing that looks a bit odd, you have this drool but there is very little to suggest moisture in the mouth or on the tongue, maybe some more shorter strands of drool or something.

Anyway still looks great, very true to your 2D.

Xform
03-14-2003, 11:21 AM
great, really great! :thumbsup:

So close to the reference image, it scary!:eek:

Oktavian
03-14-2003, 11:21 AM
I could hardly believe my eyes :eek: .
It's awesome :thumbsup: .

Kamul
03-14-2003, 11:22 AM
I loved the 2d version and i even love the 3d version more
DAMN URE A **** GENIUS:thumbsup:

ijinn
03-14-2003, 11:29 AM
i've not been replying to your WIP thread, but i've been checking it out daily.. and Your work is very impressive.. Your work is both inspirational and motivating.

Angelus26
03-14-2003, 11:39 AM
I think as far as 3d conversions go this is stunningly accurate.

...but I like the painting more!

The lighting in the painting has a bit more atmosphere, it's a little softer, has just a bit more ambience. The render is a little too clean by comparsion, maybe the black levels are too harsh, don't know.

I also prefer the texture of the dragon in the painting, he almost seems to have fine fur, which has more of a 'luck dragon' from the Never Ending Story feel. Likewise the girl's hair is finer in the painting, but having said that, the girl's face looks much better in the render.

Yeah, so all up, stunning, but not sure which is better, if you could combine elements from both i'd be perfect!:)

MrSolo
03-14-2003, 11:49 AM
AMAZING!!!!!:eek:

10 stars!!!!!!

I am glad that I am not running for the still category.... I guess they alread have a winner:thumbsup:

Congratulations for the beatyfull work, both 2d and 3d!!!!!!

Katachi
03-14-2003, 11:49 AM
Sorry but THIS IS OUT OF THIS WORLD!!! YOU´RE THE MAN. Will you be at the Animago award in germany?

Daolohua CnC
03-14-2003, 12:06 PM
great work stahlberg, as always.

i like the limited pallette u used.

as a 3d image i'd say the hair thats going over her right arm doesn't look like hair, and doesn't seem to match up with the texture of the hair at the top of her head.

other than that great.

augustus
03-14-2003, 12:28 PM
That's fantastic!:eek: I watched your progress my eyes open wide, and result is really fantastic.

Maybe one thing:p Hair still looks a little -err- plactic, and fine hairs doesn't match, imho. But still it's fantastic (Did I said fantastic before? :) )

:applause:

Edit: Err, one more: Area front the girl looks like cleaned. Maybe you can put some small rocks there. :shrug:

Airtwist!
03-14-2003, 12:33 PM
in bavaria we would say!!

oida des is andersda krass!!!

its awesome, excellent!!!!!

Airtwist1

fletchman
03-14-2003, 12:34 PM
:applause: I think that is the most inspiring thing I have ever seen. I've seen the 2d work and I must say that you have really pushed the envolope here. Excellent work!! :airguitar

ThirdEye
03-14-2003, 12:49 PM
However you call it, still, character, even vehicle it's incredible!! :surprised

DaKrunch
03-14-2003, 12:52 PM
danm...
so...
soo...

huh (can't say with words...)
:drool:

red_oddity
03-14-2003, 12:55 PM
*sigh* , why are so many people so much better than me...

Call it what ever you like, you can't deny you're one talented person...

magicm
03-14-2003, 01:03 PM
Simply beautiful!! :thumbsup:

two humble pieces of comment;
I agree with Martin NH -> ".... I think the drool comming from the dragons mouth kinda disturbs the flow of the composition ..."

And there's something about the girls' belly, I think the 'folding' (not sure if this is the right english word for it) is a bit too sharp.

http://magicm.cgcommunity.com/temp/belly.jpg

Martijn

duffe
03-14-2003, 01:09 PM
I hope that it's ok to critique someone that everybody else is praising..

1. the hair on that falls on her arm. To high contrast or something, looks like something else then hair.
2. the fur/hair/thing on her backhead.
3. the drool. to thick and not shiny enough.

not that I could do anything like this..

Ryden
03-14-2003, 01:12 PM
:applause: I saw the pictore on the swedish forum (www.Grafisktforum.org) and i like it like hell...

stephen2002
03-14-2003, 01:19 PM
wow, when I saw it on the plugs on the front page, I thought "didn't I see that one before" and then I clicked, and it was that great 2D transformed into 3D. Excellent job!!

I agree that the snake could use just a touch of work to make it more interesting, but it is essentially perfect as is!

zenonithus
03-14-2003, 01:37 PM
I'm amazed by this 3d transition. I wasn't sure whether you posted the painting again! The face is excellent! I agree with magicm about that fold. It does look kinda peculiar.

Rotamus
03-14-2003, 01:37 PM
wow i loved the 2d and the 3d is just as cool !.. keep up the good work its peices like this that make me close everything and start up maya and keep going with what ever im working on :applause:

jazzman121
03-14-2003, 01:41 PM
:drool: ooooo myyyy gosh it :buttrock: rockzz like crazzzzzzy

Chewey
03-14-2003, 01:45 PM
Wonderful work! At first glance I thought it was another rev of the 2D image. :thumbsup:

There is one item that looks odd/distracting to me and that's the hair that touches the right upper arm. It looks a bit like an oil slick or something other than hair.:shrug:

BnE
03-14-2003, 02:00 PM
amazing work.... :buttrock:

m-greenwood
03-14-2003, 02:30 PM
That is absolutely brilliant.
:thumbsup:

leif
03-14-2003, 02:57 PM
hi steven,
absolutely awesome...I also love the 2d version,

I think you should maybe try and feather the edges around the charactes a litttle bit. To get the light wrapping around the characters.

everything else great mr stahlberg...

cheers
Leif

jonaz.dk
03-14-2003, 02:58 PM
looks sweet!

but I like the 2D version better.. :buttrock:

ed209
03-14-2003, 03:08 PM
Very nice. Very very nice. Reminds me allot of the work of Boris Vallejo.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

FatherGlory
03-14-2003, 03:14 PM
Excellent Job !! I really like the womens face and expression.

I agree with the comments about the back head fur and the drool but those are very minor things indeed.

Very nice transition from 2d to 3d! :thumbsup:

Neox
03-14-2003, 03:18 PM
her face is just great!
but i do like the 2d version a little bit more
but nevermind
the picture is just beautiful

:love:

Gamoron
03-14-2003, 03:24 PM
the drool is really bugging me. Not because it shouldn't be there or that it takes away from the image. It looks to me like it isn't sitting right.

The monsters head is obviously centred with hers, and her head is centered over her body. The drool looks to be coming from the center of the monsters lower jaw, yet it is hitting the outside of her right knee. maybe it drooled there before it turned its attention full on but, I think you should change it.

Also her hair on her right arm looks more like playdoh then hair. Needs maybe higher contrasts?

edit: whoops, AMAZING!!!!

lmc
03-14-2003, 03:29 PM
Amazing, it really a good job wherether 3D and 2D, both are great...but i prefer the 2D work more, its bringing more feel on it, haha...

:applause: :thumbsup:

ki oku
03-14-2003, 03:41 PM
hmm good picture but not as good as the painting ...

I dont like the hair at all, it looks simply too modeled, and I never really liked "modeled" hair.

ZVAN
03-14-2003, 03:43 PM
improved alot from the wip work lastime! I love this image! cool and wiCKED!!:buttrock: BuT i sEE a LiL 3D like objects there which one is 3d?

jizzypop
03-14-2003, 03:50 PM
holy jumping jeezus, i had no idea this was 3d untill i checked the WIP thread. in fact i was about to correct somebody for saying it was their fav 3d image. this is prolly the most painting-like 3d image ive ever seen.

raine
03-14-2003, 03:56 PM
Amazing man!! you did it yet again.. you are for sure one of my idles :) ... The whole concept of this piece is awesome!! the colors go together perfect and ... WoW man... keep them coming, we all love them :D

draconix
03-14-2003, 03:57 PM
Yo, I have three main crits:
- the hair looks weird but it's a fairy so... but the back of it looks a bit overly bluured.

- the fold of flesh on the stomach looks too shard, try getting it closer to the 2D work as that aspect of it was perfect.

- the snake itself, at the end of the neck near the upper right corner, is cut of jaggedly. need to extend it just a little since you're only modeling what fits in the scene.

Now that that's over... Great work man! Watched this from concept sketch to where it is now and well... brilliant. Loved the lighting and athmosphere of the 2D work. That you were able to approximate it in 3D is breathtaking.

Jide
03-14-2003, 03:58 PM
I don't like the monsters neck just disappearing in the top right.

Was it like that in the painting aswell?

Anyway it's an awesome transition from 2d to 3d

tauism
03-14-2003, 04:38 PM
i think the fairy's head is a bit too small compared to her body.
Her face looks like a little girl but the body is that of a woman.

But besides that i like it a lot!

except that lump of hair on her hand other people have pointed out.

Cool stuff!

nathan 3d
03-14-2003, 04:50 PM
NICE!!!!!

I it alot. I just checked out the other thread, and I liked that firts, 2d image alot too. Great job! This has insperd me to go model : P
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :applause: :applause: :eek: :eek:

slaughters
03-14-2003, 04:56 PM
Great transition from 2D painting to 3D model !

Critique:

As others have mentioned the drool needs some work. Make it more transparent with a higher specularity. Right now it resembles a sort of an off-white spike coming out of the bottom of the snake/dragons chin.

I think the snake/dragons skin could have more of a dusty matte reflectance look to it and a little less phong shine.

Another thing I noticed was that in the 2D the girls expression reminded me more of "wonder and awe". In the 3D version it translates more into "fright". I'm not sure why, or what emotion you were going for originally. Maybe it is just do to the 2D being more softfocused on the face than the 3D is.

dark_lotus
03-14-2003, 05:00 PM
I was a huge fan of the WIP, i'm an even bigger fan of the final product!

Good Stuff.

phoenix2k
03-14-2003, 05:12 PM
Wow... amazing... i loved the painting and i really love this... great work!!! :thumbsup:

BiTMAP
03-14-2003, 05:15 PM
Top of the monsters neck there seems to be a hole in him and you see the backround.

klinker
03-14-2003, 06:13 PM
great! :thumbsup:

d24e
03-14-2003, 06:25 PM
I agree with Bipmap, the one thing that seemed a little weird to me.

Maybe it's just the beautiful angel or the whole feel of that scene but it looks absolutely stunning! :thumbsup:

monotypic
03-14-2003, 06:29 PM
GOOD GOD!!!! i just spent about 5 minutes trying to figure out why your painting was on the front page again........
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

rivendell
03-14-2003, 06:39 PM
very inspiring indeed.. :applause:

Gotham
03-14-2003, 06:55 PM

Palombasso
03-14-2003, 07:39 PM
It´s amazing how you were able to translate your awesome 2d work into 3d...

I´ve been comparing the 2 of them, and there are some things I still prefer in the 2d version...

1. Her hair... the 2d one is great in my opinion...I think the lighting on the top of her head in the 3d lacks some of the contrast the 2d one had...her hair seems brighter and thicker in 3d...

2. Don´t ask me why, but I loved her pink nose in the 2d version..eheh =O)

That being said... her expression in the 3d one is very good...

Great work! =O)

PotatoHead
03-14-2003, 07:48 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

waazaasdbuioufd gaga?!?!?! asdfjasldf ble babarababara!!:drool: :drool: sfldfjsldfkj spittle, splat, drool....:love:

Wilson-3d
03-14-2003, 08:19 PM
I love when you see someone be so true in 3d to the original 2d. Very Good!:p

wlau
03-14-2003, 09:16 PM
Awesome transition to 3D from an already great 2D composition.

However, here are a few crits of mine (and they've been mentioned before I'm sure):

1. The fold at her abdomen\belly button area just doesn't look right. It doesn't seem to be folding properly or layering properly.

2. The drool from the creature is another thing that distracts the eye - although this is purely subjective.

3. Lastly, the hair over her arm is, as mentioned above, looking a bit too greasy\oily and just contrasts a bit too heavily from the rest of her hair or with the picture itself rather.

Anyways, awesome piece!

Night
03-14-2003, 09:37 PM
Wow its pretty impressive! :applause:
How much time you take to do this?

marc_taro
03-14-2003, 09:46 PM
lol! I knew this was yours instantly just looking at the thumbnail - this it a total Stahlberg pallette!!! :)

scribble
03-14-2003, 09:47 PM
So many posts, I do't know if you will read this.
But it looks awesome. So close to you original 2d image, I'm in love with this piece.
Congratulations on such a fine piece of work!
:drool: :love:

RuneV
03-14-2003, 09:51 PM
Could never get tired of this.. awsome work.. love it
:bounce: :bounce: :wip:

Glasko
03-14-2003, 09:59 PM
Brilliant. My only comment would be on the drool, at first glance I wondered why there was a line there. Really great job, just as amazing as the painting... you have a true talent.

DAREONER
03-14-2003, 11:01 PM
very good:thumbsup:

mark_battista
03-14-2003, 11:02 PM
very nice mate. Questions!
What the hell did you make that in?
Howe long have you been modelling/painting?
How old are you?
Can you teach me how to do something like that?
Cheers Mark

Ruadhraigh
03-14-2003, 11:16 PM
Yes, stunningly good, except the dragon drool ("ichor"?) is not quite right - it looks like a plastic prop supporting a model.

So (since you are capable of miracles!) how about making it semi transparent? and/or nor quite reach the ground?

Ok, c'mon guys, we ARE that dragon, right?

Waters
03-15-2003, 01:16 AM
Great work, your CG females are unbeatable.

Nothing big, but, at the upper right corner, on the monsters "neck".... it looks.. odd.. doesnt look quite right.

zandernice
03-15-2003, 02:26 AM
Stahlberg, Its great work. I was wondering. Do you recycle the same womans body over and over again or is it an entirely new scene. Im just wondering how you pump these out so fast.

ThirdEye
03-15-2003, 02:27 AM
The model is a brand new model, look at the wip thread. However... who is the idiot who gave 1 star to this thread? :rolleyes:

Wolfmoonct
03-15-2003, 02:37 AM
I wish I could see it... it's just a broken image tag to me.. :( Other posts are workin fine... anyone else not see it?

Stahlberg
03-15-2003, 02:55 AM
Thank you very much everyone, I definitely read every post and take every crit seriously.

The main consensus seems to be that the hair, the stomach fold and the drool needs work. (About the 'hole' in the snake's body, I made the inner main surface fade out there but it's hard to see on my monitor, I guess it pops out a bit more on yours, I'll fix it.)

The hair not matching - I might get rid of some of the softness at the back because I really can't add softness to the other hair very easily, without retouching a lot... Animago allows retouching but only a little I think. I could try using Fur or PaintFX but I'm out of time now.
That fold has a lighting problem, it's modeled ok but the shadows are screwed up, I'll fix it.
The drool, I'll work some more on it.

Also many seem to think the original is better - that's good, because I definitely feel like I have much more control in 2d than in 3d. Sadly Animago has no 2d category.. :)

ZVAN, it's all 3d except for the furthest background; see this image from the WIP thread:
http://www.androidblues.com/onelasttimeb.jpg

BTW how many think this camera angle is better? I think I do, but I'm not sure. Not that it matters much at this stage, I don't think I have time to finish it from this angle now. But maybe later.

mark_battista, I use Maya, I've been painting about 30 years, modeling about 10, I'm 43 and I have some tuts on my site. :)

zandernice, in this case I recycled very little because I'm aware of often getting this comment - usually it sounds like a crit, so to adress it I started from almost scratch on this one. The body and head I used were only a few hundred polygons combined, when I started this particular scene. I also tried some existing hair, but didn't end up using much of that at all. Check out the WIP thread for more info.

TRyanD
03-15-2003, 03:00 AM

Lunatique
03-15-2003, 03:39 AM
Wow. You matched the painting. I knew you could, but this still surprised me.

I like the 2D better, but I have a thing for the painterly look--which is still impossible to achieve with good control in 3D. Whatever happened to the NPR stuff you were toying with? Is it incorporated in the rendering of this piece?

I'm not a fan of the drool at all. I think it's unnecessary, and even might mislead the intention of the image. The creature reminds me more of a snake than anything, and I've been around snakes a lot and I've never seen them drool... :p

I like the more transparent look of her wings in the 2D version.

You might want to fragment and round the rocks on the floor more. Right now they're reading a bit blocky. Again, the 2D version look better in that area.

The claws of the dragon reads better in the 2D version too--including the actual pose of the claws. Having the individual claws at different angles looks much better than having them parallel. It's more dynamic that way.

The hint of blue you have on the skull and the claws in the 2D version breaks up the brown well. The 3D version could use the same thing.

Behind her, it looks like the creature's tail? I'm not sure what that is. The area around that thing in the 2D version almost has a snow-like feel, and I much prefer that--but that's just me. I love snow and the visuals involved with snow.

The huge chunk of hair resting on her right arm read too chunky in the 3D version. It's looking like a resin sculpture kit. Maybe break it up into finer strands, and make it softer. It looks like you modelled it, and as good as it looks, would geometry strips with alpha maps look better? You can still swirl the strips into that full body look, no?

I like the direct profile angle more. I'm a fan of iconic design. I get criticized for it, but it's just something I like.

BTW, check you email.

manutara
03-15-2003, 04:23 AM
I posted in the WIP thread but realiceed that you put your final stuf in here. I think you had lost the nice eye contact between them in your great drawing...very important detail. The contact is there, but not close at what you had in your drawing. The change is very suttle...but it is there.

http://www.vfs.com/~felipev/cgtalk/girl.gif

Again...realy nice job :drool:

samartin
03-15-2003, 09:18 AM
Personally I think it's the drool that makes the painting :drool:, maybe the way it is, it needs some tweaking but I cannot see the link to a snake ?!?!?!

This is just one hungry beast who is mesmerised by such a beauty and maybe it's a start of a beautiful friendship ???

I really can't crit as I love this piece and I find the more I work on things I will never be happy with the outcome... the original angle I think works better as the new one loses the eye contact totally so all is to be said now is the best of luck with ANIMAGO...

Beholder
03-15-2003, 10:16 AM
Poor little fairy is about to become munchy food.

But I totally dig it. I like how she looks frightened, trying weakly to protect (covering herself) herself when her body has decided she's doomed. It's very subtle but I think it's there. Very humble I am to your mastery.

One beef. The wing. It looks really slick, but it doesn't fit the vulnerability of the character. The original wings were more virginal and fitting.

Peace.

sfx
03-15-2003, 10:55 AM
very great work, all are perfect and i really love the color of the scene (my english is very great isn't it?)
can you post a wire of the girl's body please i want to see how you can modelise so perfectly girl body!!!!!!!!
:applause: :applause: :applause:
respect:buttrock:

Flo
03-15-2003, 02:39 PM
wow ...just found this threat.

great work steven ... I loved the 2d version and the 3d version is coming along pretty cool.
the girl is really awesome !! she is great !
(though that big piece off hair on the right arm looks a bit odd)

cheers,
Flo

haslingerDesign
03-15-2003, 11:15 PM
In "The price of magic" you showed how to get very quickly from a little pencil concept to a detailed coloured scetch.
Now! You show that its also possible to get from this 2d to 3d
very very exactely.
I have to think about that...:-)

Maria
03-16-2003, 01:45 AM
I haven`t words!This is SUPER!!!!

lildragon
03-16-2003, 01:57 AM
Maybe you explained it already, but I missed it in your three threads, but what does the butterfly signify? Is there something there we should know about? This piece tells such a story it's unbelivable

salud

Spirit2029
03-16-2003, 03:08 AM
well Steven all I can say is, yet again you never cease to amaze. I dont even have anything to say, to pull it apart or nothin... So whats the next big project? How about a space Elf in a space suit or power armour. I;ve never seen anything like that from you, and I would love to see what you come up with.. Im currently working on my own digital actress, and would love to email you some pics and get some comments, let me know with a private msg...

Thanx Spirit2029

zoso
03-16-2003, 03:55 AM
i haven't been to cgtalk for a good while now...and apparently i have been missing some absolutely amazing work.

i am stunned.

Yodude565
03-16-2003, 04:02 AM
wow, cg art is just getting better and better.. WHEN WILL IT END!! hahahah

Never!

by the way, great work!

JIII
03-16-2003, 04:47 AM
nice very nice. oneofthe best pics i have ever seen especialy the girl she is amazing.

very very nice

Stahlberg
03-16-2003, 05:24 AM
Thanks all! Lunatique, thanks for the thourough crit! :) I've tried to adress all the crits I got in this thread, in the update I just posted (since the changes are small I overwrote the original one).
The hair is still a problem but it will have to do for now...

Here's a wireframe of the girl,

http://www.androidblues.com/onelas3dwip5.jpg

lildragon, there should be a story behind this, but at the moment it's not clear in my head. Someone suggested that this fairy has struck a deal with the monster to deliver sister fairies to it... what she gets out of it I'm not sure, maybe power over her sisters. I like it when all is not as it seems at first, maybe she's the evil one and the monster is simply minding his own business. I mean, it's his cave after all. What's she doing there anyway?

The butterfly was supposed to symbolize the freedom she may nevermore enjoy... it's flapping up and away towards the light, while she's stuck at the bottom of the cave. Or whatever it is. I guess it could also be a foreshadowing or prophesy, that her soul will soon fly to heaven... :)

JohnD
03-16-2003, 06:21 AM
This is simply awesome. Am I mistaken, or was this picture posted at an earlier time but with some minor changes? This may have been discussed already, but I haven't read all the threads yet.

JohnD
03-16-2003, 06:24 AM
Nevermind. Silly me. Just figured out that the first image was the 2d version and this is the 3d. Amazing how you kept the paint look.

danbran
03-16-2003, 06:34 AM
holy crap! just noticed it was 3d...here i am thinking...what's so different about the painting now? Well, i can't add anything that hasn't been said already. great work.

db

Klasz
03-16-2003, 03:24 PM
Stahlberg...

your scenes have always stunned me, since i began to model myself ...

But i prefer much an much you first version of the thread... Many reasons, like the stones at the first plan, destroying your bluured athmosphere, the camera position, destroying the mysticism of the first plan.... the tongue, too much sharpened in comparraison whith the first scene....

Many things..

Your first version was one of the greatests pieces of cg art i saw ... The last is not

But that's really personnal...

Bye

3D_Mike
03-17-2003, 01:08 PM
Amazing.

~Its silly though, how good looking the 3D pic might be that orginal sketch totally rocks it.

Props, great work

facial
03-18-2003, 05:40 AM
Coooooool. I love this work with 3d.:thumbsup:
one comment here only, In my opinion, It might be better for you to darken some areas in your works and make it more wet-looking, for example. the ground should looks a bit wet ect. But it looks really good and i like the deth of field in the image.

Well done, ,, and kepp post more

ALZHEM
03-18-2003, 09:47 AM
O_O
I can't say more

Lev
03-19-2003, 02:39 AM
Wow!
It`s great!

rayz
03-20-2003, 06:50 PM
excellent work.......... nothing to crit. beautiful 2d and 3d... :thumbsup:

SDIT
03-20-2003, 07:16 PM
Incredible i am sooo glad to see this piece on the finished gallery. Great great transition, of course it's not 100% the same but i believe it gives it some character to it. I actually like the fact that it "feels" a little different than the 2D piece, and at the same time i am astonished at the amount of time you took into observing your piece and translating.
Congrats, once more i think a lot of us found some REALLY GOOD inspiration.
Cheers and good luck in the contest !!
:beer: :beer:

graphix19
03-21-2003, 01:08 AM
Hey Steven,
Love your stuff, it kicks...

I have been thinking of a story behind this piece since I saw the painting. I don't know if it was mentioned before but, What if the snake was her lover and was turned into this beast, and now they are reunited. The image doesn't strike me as fearful and the girl looks more passionate than scared. Just a thought.

Datalifter
03-21-2003, 04:04 PM
Do you sell your work? I'm new to all of this ... but I think this is just awesome stuff... Any chance of getting a really HIGH RES version to convert into a poster???

:)

harly
03-21-2003, 05:24 PM
Wonderful, Mr. Stahlberg.
You´ve done a big step in your artwork craetion.
I must admit I was a little bit tired to see your female characters again and again, but this piece is so appealing to me.
You´ve created a scenery which leaves place for our imagination.

aamiracle
03-23-2003, 05:45 PM
Well the fairy is quite sexy.The snake looks more like a dragon to me.Overall :eek: eye poping work of CG.

bl4ckd0g
03-28-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by tomb
My favorite 3D image ever. :love: :beer:

and about some comments like the strange hairs that doesn't look like hairs...true :D but i took 'em like dirt up of something like the thing coming from the monster mouth(not the tongue :p)

Lukesky
03-28-2003, 07:18 PM
Great work. But you made the 3d version first right ?

Maya Ayanami
03-28-2003, 07:55 PM
very nice.
I like what you did with the butterfly(or whatever that is)
I dont know of much wrong with it. but I think that her wings are kinda weird. they look like they belong to a fly.
her hair is weird. and that snake doesn't look like a snake. maybe it is half snake.

bl4ckd0g
03-30-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Lukesky
Great work. But you made the 3d version first right ? no,first coms the 2d, u can read that at the beginning of the topic

Stahlberg
03-30-2003, 03:58 AM
Thanks!! I agree about the hair, I'm not satisfied with it. I'd like to make it more like the original painting, but of course it's very tricky... :) Overall, I must say I like the original better too, though now there are some minor things I'd like to adjust in her anatomy in the original, after comparing it to the 3d (which is probably slightly more correct).

icarriger
04-03-2003, 01:28 PM
This is not 3D, so don't send it to Animago 2003 'Still' category and 3d Festival event. When did you draw your first image that was posted here? In February? And now you posting the same image that you saying was done in 3d? Do you know how long it would take to build all these detailed models in 3d? How long it take to texture them? How long it would take to set up all bones and lighting? You don't know what 3d is. This is Photoshop. Good Photoshop. Not 3d.

Wetterschneider
04-03-2003, 02:06 PM
:surprised

oh wait - I get it - reverse psychology, right?

samartin
04-03-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by icarriger
This is not 3D, so don't send it to Animago 2003 'Still' category and 3d Festival event. When did you draw your first image that was posted here? In February? And now you posting the same image that you saying was done in 3d? Do you know how long it would take to build all these detailed models in 3d? How long it take to texture them? How long it would take to set up all bones and lighting? You don't know what 3d is. This is Photoshop. Good Photoshop. Not 3d.

:shrug:, well done Mr Stahlberg you fooled this geezer/lady into thinking it's the 2d piece...

ceql
04-03-2003, 02:23 PM

icarriger:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/Sequel/stfu.jpg

ceql
04-03-2003, 02:28 PM
sowwies, couldn't resist :d

Anywayz, It's well known that Stalhberg is an established 3d artist (and a pioneer of the 3d virtual actress concept to boot!), there is a WIP thread here (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46459), and look at the extensive work on his site (http://www.androidblues.com)

Supervlieg
04-03-2003, 02:52 PM
Must be reverse psychology. Nobody is that, uhm er... nevermind.

Daveaustin
04-03-2003, 03:15 PM
oh dear oh dear oh dear...

icarriger.. if you'd read the whole thread FROM THE BEGINNING you would've noticed the link to the WIP thread that show's clearly the stages that Stahlberg went through to get to this finished image.. what a way to start off your posting on Cgtalk..

What a Muppet :wip:

Stahlberg : amazing work, am constantly in awe of the work you produce, have followed the WIP from the off.. awesom talent :thumbsup:

bramley1
04-03-2003, 03:24 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You don't know what 3d is"

I think ur the one who doesnt understand the concept of 3D and what you can produce and its limitations!! We are all regulars here and we all show each other our WIP, so we can all see if its real or fake, so dont criticise til u get ur facts right first!!!

Mirdamadi
04-03-2003, 03:32 PM
this is the first time , that I can not say any thing !!!!!!!!
really beautiful !
that`s out of imagine !

kwanjul
04-04-2003, 04:06 AM
nice painting man! do u might to show us some tutorial!

Stahlberg
04-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Thanks guys. :) Concerning painting-tuts, I don't have much. There's one on cloud-painting on my Howto page, that's about it.

luxojr
04-04-2003, 03:49 PM
Emotionally impressive, but the hair on the shoulder?

KeepGoinOn, Thank you, Steven.

Abhinav3d
04-04-2003, 05:38 PM
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Beautiful....Amazing work....
One of the most beautiful images I have ever seen in CG.

I love the lighting...the expression of the girl's face...the way the snake is highlighted....

I have been a great fan of yours and have been following your work on your site since last couple of years.....

You truly are a great inspiration for artists...

Thank you for inspiring us....again..

Abhi

zkanal
04-06-2003, 03:01 PM
Really really nice ,I've been staring at this for a long time ,it's hard not to.

Grattis igen Ståhlberg :)
Du gör aldrig ngt dåligt.

Mistyk
04-06-2003, 05:28 PM
Va, är Ståhlberg från Sverige? Om så är fallet; Du rockar Ståhlberg!

Om så inte är fallet; Stahlberg, you rock!

IAwrestler
04-10-2003, 02:45 AM
This is amazing. it literaly makes me hurt it is so beautiful. the expresion on her face is captured perfectly. keep up the good work and i hope you win

Stahlberg
04-10-2003, 07:26 AM
Danke, merci, tack!
(Ja jag ar svensk, men min keyboard ar engelsk...) :)

FLOw
04-10-2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Stahlberg

(Ja jag ar svensk, men min keyboard ar engelsk...) :)

that just has to suck... :D

Magnusv
04-10-2003, 07:50 AM
Beautiful in both 2D and 3D.:thumbsup: :beer:

Maika
04-10-2003, 09:12 AM
So cute little girl... :love:

Real good mix up between 2d and 3d.. i'll keep it in my inspiration links :)

Bambin
04-11-2003, 10:28 PM
I'm simply a fan of this picture. Amazing! I love this kind of fantastic illustration, lot of dreaming and magic. It reminds me of the movie Dark Crystal :love: in love!

Screwball
04-12-2003, 12:59 AM
in one word : wow

---===---Click here if you want to see all my works---===--- (http://www.outwar.com/page.php?x=662934)

yog
04-12-2003, 11:31 PM
I just can't stop coming back to this picture, it's absolutely stunning.

I really like this style from the first time I saw it many years ago when this sort of thing was done with oil paints. Seeing the same sort of style reproduced in 3D is a great achivement.

Interesting hearing you talk about the story behind it. Personally I always felt she was feeling sorry for the monster. Not sure why, perhaps being good she feels sad that the monster has a dark nature, or perhaps she is seing past it's outer appearance and is percieving some sadness in the monsters life ?

And if you tell any of my beer swilling rugby playing mates that I can get this sentimental over a picture, I'll thump you :wip: :D

daveysmart
04-16-2003, 04:11 AM
this is amazing. i have never seen anything like this. thanks!!

goodlag
04-16-2003, 04:36 AM
amazing! like all your stuff!

Vash T Stampede
04-16-2003, 10:59 AM
it's fantastic Amazing job....:beer: :buttrock: :applause: :bowdown: :bowdown:

gandan
04-17-2003, 05:25 AM
Helo Mr Stahlberg,

I would like to take this opportunity to say that your 3D work has open my eyes to the beauty of digital illustration. Yes, i mention illustration because you care to go into detailed explaination on the process/processes that took you from the onset right up to the final stage.

It is indeed an eye opener, I have not done many 3D nor have i done any digital work (meaning using computer to do a scene or depicting a mood). I didnt want to go into this medium because of its non physical mode. I will still do physical illustration but will venture into digital too due to your excellent contents and illustrations into the world of CG.

On the side note, i cant help but feel your work has taken a new form and look. Base on the database on your excellent website, i see your work is slowly but surely moving into the direction of painterly. The monotone colouring, the idealic sensual look of your character, the pucker lip and the abstract bold shading of the environment brings one very prominent artist of old to mind that being frazetta. Please forgive me if i slight you in anyway, I was just conveying my observation. I just felt that Frazetta has left a big hole in the genre without anyone coming close to his style of work. Boris is fun but no cigar, just that his work is stiff and without the sensuality of Frazetta's. I just hope u come full circle in filling up that gap left by Frezetta if not taking the genre into a whole new level! I can already see the detail work that was missing in his, I just cant wait to see more of your work!

Again, if my observation is misguided, i can only beg forgiveness.

With my greatest regards,

gandan

chippy
04-17-2003, 08:49 AM
Gandan. A lot of Simon Bisleys recent stuff (not the FAKK2 stuff) is in the style of Frezetta, you might want to check that out. He adds alot more detail/texture to the style too.

Although I'm more of the opinion the Frazetta should be left to Frazetta and everyone else should keep pushing on.....

chippy

Garma
04-20-2003, 08:11 PM
just... incredible. Especially the look of the fairy.

I have no words for this one.

derelict
04-21-2003, 04:32 AM
nope chippy, i think bisley is bisley and Frank Frazetta is Frank Frazetta. i cannot for one see the similarity between the two style. One is erotic and the other is steroid induced. Totally different in style.;)

I am yet to see frazetta chic looking like the hulk with vains popping.

CoolmoeDee
04-21-2003, 06:05 AM
nice work. looks really great.:thumbsup:

Magnusv
04-21-2003, 08:49 AM
Beautiful.So very atmospheric.:beer:

chippy
04-22-2003, 08:50 AM
Hmmm I don't know Derelict, some of the sort of Jungle scenes Bisley painted were very much in the Frazetta tradition....maybe I'm thinking there are a bunch of them when there's only one or two (I concede they are more Bisley does Frazzeta )

i'll stop hi-jacking the thread

qwerty_12345
04-23-2003, 12:27 AM
this would make a great poster! or desktop wallpaper

leif3d
05-10-2003, 03:50 AM
Great still.....inspirational.....but I can't get over that clump of hair running down her right arm....it looks so plastic...that clump doesn't follow the rest of the naturality and flow of her hair...if it did, hair doesn't move in clump like that....unless you don't wash in a year and a half....well....those are my eye talking.....but overall beautiful....:thumbsup:

ceql
05-10-2003, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by Leonard
3D Art (Still)
The award for Best 3D Art (Still) is for an image of outstanding artistic nature using a 3D application. Entries were judged based on the criteria of Originality & Creativity, Design & Aesthetics and Technical Excellence.

Nominees
- One Last Time, Steven Stahlberg, Malaysia
- Leaving the Fifties, Stephane Belin, France
- Trust, Dany Lyon, Switzerland
- Savage Warrior, Juan Jose Palomo, Spain

Winner
One Last Time, Steven Stahlberg, Malaysia

Woohoo!! Congrats Steven!! :applause: :applause:

ìÍ!
05-16-2003, 06:30 PM
impressive

shableep
06-15-2003, 11:54 PM
thaz jus beautiful.

honestly. i've like.. come back to this pic like 5 times n' thought it was a paintin every time n' stuff.

but is 3d?$# thaz so awesom.

*shakes yo hand*

RedFish
06-18-2003, 09:18 AM
Absolutely fantastic, only thing that could be a little better is the hair on the sholder. But Great job.. I mean GREAT.

friedmike
06-25-2003, 02:09 AM
Fantastic mood with the lighting!

WanielJorge
07-14-2003, 03:42 AM
Fantastic!!! Wonderful!!! it is a work it excels of the graphic computation 3d.
Better, impossible. I have in you a reference for my works.
you are the BEST!:applause:

Levitateme
07-14-2003, 05:12 AM
i dont know what one i like more your painting oryour 3d image. your 3d image looksl ike a painting man...

jeef
07-14-2003, 05:16 AM
i would just like to say that im a big fan of your work and this is why ;)

BABATA
07-28-2003, 12:54 PM
Can u render some bigger version (1280x1024 - somehow to fit with bigger width) ?.. i want that one on my wallpaper.. U RULEZ man.. just unbelievable good ... the contrast and the passion are incredible!!!! AMAZING ! no words..

zapper1998
07-28-2003, 02:59 PM
Still a very Excellent pic I still love this pic
bigger render would be great :beer:

HeroChannel
07-28-2003, 05:11 PM
Really great! Congratulations:thumbsup: It's similar to Boris Vallejo style, and I like his style very much, and I like this too:)

Congrat again:):thumbsup:

clot
07-28-2003, 05:40 PM
I think the hair on the shoulder looks great. Kind of wet, maybe slime from the serpent or something. This piece has a real air of eroticism which gives it an incredible depth. Such carnality crossed with innocence.

summeralive
07-29-2003, 01:58 PM
link broken.....

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

butchoi
09-24-2003, 07:22 AM
What the hell!!!
I cant beleive with these??!!!
This is the greatest image Ive ever seen here
in CGTALK ....

I really speechless...
I really admire you're work ...

:buttrock:

Modron
09-24-2003, 08:59 AM
* sigh * looking at some of these exquisite renderings makes me feel,....insignificant. ....just kidding! nice job! :applause:

hackie
09-24-2003, 09:36 AM
man!
i have been following your wip.
and...
today..i found your final image here.
i'm just sooooooooooooooo amazed by that.
good job on the contrast btween snake and the little cute girl.

cheers!!

j00ey
09-24-2003, 01:25 PM
this is a freudian's dream

KeepItEvil
09-25-2003, 01:37 PM
for some reason im reminded of my childhood

j00ey
09-25-2003, 02:13 PM
now there's a scary thought!

we need a psycho-analyst moderator on this forum

bnlsla
01-26-2004, 01:29 AM
awesome awesome work dude, i would love to be able to get this up on my wall, any chance your gonna make it a poster?

Stahlberg
01-27-2004, 01:22 AM
You can get a poster this way: on my sites link page (here) (http://www.androidblues.com/)
at the top, follow the link to Zazzle.

Now please be aware that when you make your account you have to make it PG or higher or Zazzle will NOT ALLOW YOU TO VIEW ALL MY POSTERS. Annoys the hell out of me cause people keep coming back to me saying they can't find the one they're looking for. Wonder how much business this is costing them. Anyway. :)

bnlsla
01-27-2004, 03:29 AM
Cool ordered me a poster :thumbsup: , thanks dude keep up the good work. I went to zazzle awhile back but didnt see it, didnt know about the PG thing:hmm:

DoLeeP
02-12-2004, 11:12 PM
very good work every thing just great
ur work amazing:thumbsup:

whitebug
02-13-2004, 05:49 AM
I simply love the expression she has on her face, which is very important.. she looks like shes trying to calm the snake or telling it something.. thats just my opinion.. :) anyway its my wallpaper now.. simply WONDERFUL.. :thumbsup:

GI-JOe2k
02-13-2004, 09:26 PM
Ho my god...it is fantastic...

grakt
02-25-2004, 11:30 AM
It's the most amazing realisation I ever saw. I knowed you for your skills with digital women but here it's perfection (I buy expose in the beginning for the cover).:eek:
I take yours site in my favoris and look forward for your work to come.
By the way thanks you for your tutorials.:bowdown:

(sorry for the english):cry:

UK3D
03-03-2004, 01:27 PM
Impresive stuff but why go 3D when the 2D was top notch? Unless we are to be treated to alternative views?:applause:

the178
03-06-2004, 05:37 PM
Amazing amazing amazing
Great great great

Ecleposs
09-07-2004, 11:13 AM
big waow for that one:)

techart
09-07-2004, 12:19 PM
really awesome man.....saw it thousand times but still lovin it

Borro
09-11-2004, 10:15 AM
Great work! I hope you'll continue making crazy models like that... btw I'm in love with the fairy and I was wondering if you could send me some front view pics pls :D Congrats again on the job well done.

silentsamurai
09-15-2004, 03:35 PM
This image is fantastic. The lighting is what really does it for this piece. Superb work. As well as the texture work.

The only thing I would say, I agree on the hair issue that I have seen another say. And the drool line from the snake's mouth. It doesn't look like it spills off her leg. It looks like it kind of goes through it.

Other than that. Awesome.

Aderyn
09-23-2004, 10:12 AM
You keep impressing us :) Your a **** good modeller :P

Dragonrebourn
02-15-2005, 11:51 PM
Wonderful! The emotion is conveyed so clearly.

goktugg
05-20-2005, 10:55 PM
extraordinary*wonderful Work!:thumbsup: >the expression of her face is excellent!

> Congratulation!...

vampeta
05-27-2005, 06:02 PM
Sorry... but i have to say this...

This is the best piece of art i have ever seen!
It´s so great, everything looks perfect.
I knew the 2D version as well, and i must say that the conversion into 3D is awesome.

Great work!!
Alex

ap3pilot
01-10-2006, 10:11 PM
Eye Catching, a Pure Magical Feel to the scene, I adore it!

Just One Crit......the beast seems to be missing a few scales in the Top Right hand corner, or mabey its meant to be like this, just curious?

Infinate Stars from me:buttrock:

ppeteza
02-03-2006, 06:31 AM
all i can say is that Mr. Stahlberg is a one of those people that truly inspire me..to continue to work is this kind of field..im new here but ived seen his works of art for the last 2-3 years now and i am amazed by all of this.....

i just want to thank you...

blueferret
03-05-2006, 06:51 AM
Oh Yes I'm a great admirer of your work !!

cermit
07-22-2006, 11:33 AM
Id like to say that the picture its one of the most beautiful renders Ive seen in my life. For me its something like 3D icon.
surely 5 stars its not enough

Tartino
03-03-2007, 10:01 AM
Really fantastic image. One of the best samples of fusion of 3d in illustrations.

finx
05-18-2007, 09:06 AM
perfect! I am startleding of this! perfect

CrisdeLara2007
07-02-2007, 09:41 PM
Oh my God...I really love this image! Congratulations!! Perfect! Bravo!

CGTalk Moderation
07-02-2007, 09:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.