PDA

View Full Version : Getting started with Matte Painting

theuni
05-11-2007, 03:54 PM
http://www.theuni.de/images/ref_recom1.jpg

So finally I started to get serious in learning this matte painting thing :) Here is the result... plz let me know what you think of and what I maybe can improve...

Title: Night Shift
Programs: Photoshop & 3D Max
Fotos were taken around the place I live at the moment

JJASSO
05-11-2007, 09:40 PM
great image for your first matte painting, I think you have a pretty good idea on composition, mood and lighting, I see only one issue,
attention to detail
for instance the houses look too CG , too perfect in shape and texture, try to add dirt, some variation of color, some detail to break those perfect lines
also the street look too clean as well, some more dirt, garbage or anything that could add detail to it, the trees need a little more work on shadows ans higlights from the sun, this could be the hardest part in the matte painting but , I'm sure it will make it look more photorealistic
good work so far, I'm looking forward to see your work

theuni
05-12-2007, 07:56 AM
Thx for the kind words and the review you did on my image. I`ll try to implement them in my next updates so it will even look more photorealistic in the end. Additionaly here are some of the Photo templates I used creating the image:

http://www.theuni.de/images/ref_recom2.jpg

http://www.theuni.de/images/ref_recom3.jpg

MaryamNademi
05-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Hi stephan,
I am a beginner in mattepainting too.and i am trying to learn from this forum aswell.
you can see my work in:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=196&t=493402
feel free to give me comments.:)

For the Cottage ,you should go into details on the part which its sitting on the ground(base). just similar to the base of statue which is nicely sitting on the ground.
i would move the lamp from foreground to the midground.
When i am looking at your painting i do want to see more of the right side.bcoz, i see the lights on .i think it would be good to change the view or eliminate the rightside building.
i will look forward to seeing your next stages.:thumbsup:

theuni
05-14-2007, 01:03 PM
Thanks guys for the tips & hints so far. It really helped me to bring the image a little further to realism :)

I assigned some dirt onto the cottage at the left and also onto the ground... a little bit vegetation at the bottom of the house, some shadows corrected and added, and finally there is some kind of moonglow now in the image. Oh of course the I forgot to mention the trees which did not catch the light of the moon correctly. I hope I`ve got the right impression now :)

I didn`t change the link to the image cause it`s placed at my webspace for the moment so hit crtl + r for a browser refresh (update of the image)

kernond
05-17-2007, 04:34 AM
I think it looks pretty good. I would like to suggest that you think more deeply about the world that you've created. What I mean is ask yourself questions like:

- what is the history and tradition of this place?
- who are the people?
- who is this person on the horse? what is their history, present, and future?
- what will the people in this town be doing tomorrow? is there a holiday or some significant event?
- is this the main entrance to their town? if so, are they on good terms with the people that live in the castle up the road?
- etc., etc.

The answers to these types of questions will allow you to discover what should be in the scene and, more importantly, provide good reasoning for anything that you add to your scene. This will help give the viewer a "place" to visit in their own imaginations via your scene. Just some thoughts...

theuni
05-17-2007, 09:25 AM
Thanks Kernond,

and here is some explanation to the image and its story behind...
First of all the intention behind this worksample was a job application I am planing to do in a few days of now. The building on the left side is the house where the agency is placed in. Hopefully this will appeal the people in the personnel office emotionally.

- what is the history and tradition of this place?

:) It`s a little mediveal town in old Germany

- who are the people?

:) Mainly Farmers

- who is this person on the horse? what is their history, present, and future?

:) He`s the guy with the "night shift" to do. His future... going to bed :)

- what will the people in this town be doing tomorrow? is there a holiday or some significant event?

:) nope... just boring everyday life

- is this the main entrance to their town? if so, are they on good terms with the people that live in the castle up the road?

:) yeah quite easy living with the king up there

seriously, I know what you mean... compressing the story with more illustrative details... thx for the hint pal, but unfortunatly there is not much time left for getting me a job at the moment.

CGTalk Moderation
05-17-2007, 09:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.