PDA

View Full Version : MEL vs. Python performance

Buexe
05-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Hi, so I forced myself to fiddle around with Python in Maya the last few days to get an impression what this new stuff might be good for. All in all I must say that I find P easy to learn and yet it seems to be very flexible, so two thumbs up for implementing it in Maya!
Yet today I have encountered something odd, I wrote a small Python animation export command that writes keyframe info to a text file, the Python scripted plug-in needs ~46 sec. and my old MEL version exported the exact same character with animation and it did it in ~4 sec. This astonished me, and I thought okay Python is flexible but obviously not fast. Just to make sure I compared the import speed and there was no significant speed difference. So whhazzup now? The difference between the import and export is that the exporter uses Python API calls while the importer does it by Python "MEL" commands. Is that an explanation? I would appreciate if anybody could share information regarding Python
vs. MEL vs. API speed differences.
Thanks
B

CGTalk Moderation
05-10-2007, 10:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.