PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Deep 3D for paying work?

V_Shane
03-14-2003, 06:41 AM
I was just curious, i see posts about texturing and was wondering if those here have a program they use with Photoshop like Deep 3D, use it exclusivly if not why, if so do you feel it enhances you production and accuracy?

EvoG
03-14-2003, 11:26 AM
I use DeepPaint3D, at the very least, to start my character textures off. I prefer the quality and predictability of the tools in both Photoshop and Painter, but DP3D is invaluable in getting right on the model for tweaking...especially in making sure seams are corrected.

In case you're not familiar, one great feature is 'projection paint', where a temporary layer is created for the currrent view you're in, and allows you to get a WYSIWYG effect when painting, no smearing, as you're painting on essentially a flat layer that 'looks' like the current 3D view you are in...when you leave projection paint, DP3D does a pretty darn good job of matching the pixels you painted to the texture on the model...this significantly reduces any smearing whatsoever.

Also DP3D has strong connections to both 3DSMax and Photoshop, and in the case of Photoshop, when exported to it, the texture comes with an extra layer with your wireframe uv's layed out, so you can see the polys you're working on while working on your paint layer, then shoot it back to DP for tweaks.

Just to make it clear, DP3D has LOTS of tools and brushes, all comparable to both PS and Painter, so very good, final work, can be done with just DeepPaint.

As for the rest of us, I'd assume quite a bit of people use it, as all of the texture artists I have and do work with use it, again, maybe not exclusively, but its in the pipeline.

Excellent, excellent tool.

Cheers.

kleinluka
03-14-2003, 01:32 PM
sounds nice, is there a link to their website or anything?

EvoG
03-14-2003, 01:43 PM
http://www.righthemisphere.com/products/dp3d/index.htm

Enjoy :)

kleinluka
03-14-2003, 01:45 PM
thanks, mate

V_Shane
03-14-2003, 05:17 PM
That was definatley encouraging and an inspiring read. Much appreciated!

Are there any problems you ahve had with it at all?

muckywetnoodle
03-14-2003, 06:38 PM
I guess what makes it a bit difficult for low-poly stuff sometimes is that a lot of the brushes aren't really geared to working at such low resolution so it's easier to just do some painting in photoshop in conjunction but as mentioined, it's a seamless process. You can also paint in 2d mode right in Deep if you prefer with the 2d and 3d windows right next to each other which is nice. The brush building is great. You can make your own texture brushes and pallettes and use brushes that paint 5 channels at once. There are about a million brush options as well and it all works with a tablet if you have one so you can have a brush vary in rotation to follow your stroke as well as vary scale and opacity. Uses the same hotkeys as photoshop too so it's easy to pick up. Drawback I guess is that it costs money. Being able to preview opacity would also be nice.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.