PDA

View Full Version : Photo Retouch Tactics Anyone?

singularity2006
03-14-2003, 06:39 AM
So, does anyone happen to know how those people work on pics of them supermodels where they take a screwed up blurry and/or grainy picture and touch it up giving their skin a super shiny look afterwards and even modifies the entire image such that it looks like a professional studio picture? I can't seem to figure out how they can do that..... :eek:

Ian Jones
03-14-2003, 08:50 AM
Could you post an example pic? I have read some articles on this process and it really isn't as complex as you think. I just want to make sure we are thinking of the same kind of pics.

fandalis
03-14-2003, 12:35 PM
always try to play the tools of your app... ;)
experiment, experiment then experiment... this is
what im doing now with my 3d app. ;) try to
maximize the capabilities of your filters.

jah
03-14-2003, 07:41 PM
i did a fashion photo touch up job for a photographer friend of mine... i used mainly the clone tools (healing brush & patch) with a pen tablet, some touches with Gblur... i did some layer mods too like soft light... dunno if it's that what ur looking for...

hope it helps :thumbsup:

singularity2006
03-15-2003, 07:12 AM
http://instillstudios.yoshi8me.com/drop_box/boa.jpg

See how her skin and eyes have such a plasticized and clean look? I can't find the original pic that was used, but the original is very grainy ... how does one go about takign a grainy and dark image and adjust it to such a cleanliness like this?

dg
03-15-2003, 07:22 AM
Hi,

Blur, Brightness and contrast, hue saturation and some other combination of tools and fine ups, try to play with channel, since most of the image detail is in the gree channel I gess, I'm no really sure, and even If I'm is not a rule, that way you can reduce the noise in the skin man and do some other enhancements.

I hope that helps,
But give is a check.
See Ya!:thumbsup:

singularity2006
03-15-2003, 07:31 AM
man, I've spent the past few days messing with images trying to clean them up ... but the best I can do is to make it look blurry.... like man... it's so weird. I've been able to take severely old and damaged images and restore them to like new, but that's with an incredibly high resolution scan of an original .... how does one do it with a low resolution image blown up to larger proportions? And yes, I've used those tools often... I guess I'm just not doing it right because they do not seem to come out right... -.-"

But yeah, I like and can easily work with high resolution images that are extremely damaged (old photos in sepia tone), but man... i don't get how u can do so much with so little pixel data (low resolution).

dg
03-15-2003, 08:39 AM
Same goes for lowres if you just need to give some pretty fashion look, use a lot of blur but in a dplicated layer and then apply a mask and start refining the mask to recover the details that you need, it's a lot of stuff that can be done, and some technics that work very fine with one type of image might not work with another.
If you have to upsample a low res image try a tool called S-Spline from Shortcut, check their web site:
http://www.shortcut.nl/

Might help you, but is not always that this tool achive some good results, some times she gives a painted look to the upsampled image.

I hope that helps in some way!
See Ya!:cool:

singularity2006
03-16-2003, 08:10 AM
whoa, that's a fascinating piece of software!! Thanks for the tip... but I think for now, I want to try to do it my own way (since I'm a bit to broke to buy that software) and get it done with the tools I have available.. hopefully it'll sharpen my skills a bit. I'm gonna get it eventually.... I hope it works out well. I'll keep everyone posted on it. =D Thanks.

jah
03-16-2003, 05:28 PM
pen tool mask blur clone mask pen tool blur blur blur soft light overlay blur blur clone clone mask mask mask

:beer: :buttrock:

singularity2006
03-16-2003, 07:02 PM
What is the pen tool for and how do u use it anyway? I've never touched that tool ever since it came out... heheh.

dg
03-17-2003, 09:05 AM
And about the photo thing, don't forget that not all things are done in the post, that plastic look you can achieve in the Photo it self. Makeup, lights and a good photogafer can do wonders for you.

See Ya! :thumbsup:

singularity2006
03-18-2003, 12:55 AM
oh yes, indeed. But I've seen people take really bad photos and touch them up to look like a pro studio pic... i envy their skillz.... :buttrock:

jah
03-18-2003, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by singularity2006
What is the pen tool for and how do u use it anyway? I've never touched that tool ever since it came out... heheh.

i use it mainly for creating selections for masking out certain parts of pictures :bounce: :applause: :airguitar :buttrock:

kwshipman
03-20-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by singularity2006

The pen tool is a device created by Adobe to drive its customers insane:surprised

Seriously, i use it for making clean lines when going for a comic style, and such. It takes a lot of patients and practice to use though. But once you get a hang of it, its not that bad.

Goatfuzz
03-21-2003, 12:58 AM
Hmmm....

I've done some photo retouchings before. All I do is use the all- mighty 'airbrush' (by far my favorite tool). Also, be sure to pay close attention to the original lighting of an image; for example: say there is a photo of someone with skin that is already shiny and it reflects the colors of bright objects around it then you can't forget to include those in your touch-ups.

singularity2006
03-21-2003, 06:24 AM
thanks for the tips ya'll!! :bounce:

kwshipman
03-22-2003, 08:37 PM
Hey found this in my photoshop links. Havent gone through it yet but it looks to be up your alley. Enjoy

RetouchPro (http://www.retouchpro.com/)

singularity2006
03-23-2003, 08:32 AM
oooh, nice!! THanks! =D

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.