PDA

View Full Version : Radeon 9700 Pro: better OpenGL?

Rhs_CG
03-14-2003, 04:44 AM
Hey all. I was wondering if the Radeon 9700 Pro was any better for animation work than previous Ati gaming cards?

I know nVidia's Open GL performance/support has been very good. But I read some benchmark tests that showed the GF4 Ti4800 beating out the 9700 Pro only twice out of about twelve tests.

Also, does anyone use the 9700 Pro in any 3D Applications?

Thanks!

amygdalae
03-14-2003, 04:50 AM
I use the R9700Pro at home for Maya. I dual boot between win2000 & winxp.
On my win2k install I'm using the FireGL X1 hack from nvworld.ru and the 1026 FireGL drivers - it's very quick. With some AGP settings tuning and tweaks the performance in Maya feels much faster than the Quadro4 980xgl I use at work. I havent had any stability issues yet, but I wouldnt expect it to be as stable as the nvidia card.

The only bummer is that you cant hack the R9700Pro to firegl for linux unless you do a hardware mod, as far as I know.

I like the software mod because it lets me dual boot back to WinXP where i have the standard catalyst drivers installed, so I can play all of my games.

I still have a quadro 2 pro at home that i rely on for the most part for linux 3d...

GregHess
03-14-2003, 12:48 PM
Depends on your app. If your using 3dsmax for example, you should stick to nvidia cards.

I think visualboo was having some serious problems with his radeon and his app of choice as well. His geforce4 was faster and more stable. He can tell ya more.

Sgt_Bukkake_Man
03-14-2003, 12:53 PM
yeah agreed for max. The maxtreme drivers are pretty kickass. Unfortunately since I'm a maya guy, I have to try to go for the system with the most non-optimized power available since alias never optimizes for any platform : (

I've heard some people having bad luck with the firegl softmod, but i didnt have a single hitch. works great for me. my viewport speed in maya is ridiculously fast.

MCronin
03-14-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by amygdalae
The only bummer is that you cant hack the R9700Pro to firegl for linux unless you do a hardware mod, as far as I know.

I don't think the 9700 requires a mod to run as FireGL in Linux, at least it didn't seem to when I used it.

There is only one driver set for the newer ATI cards, pro and consumer, in Linux, and you can set your device ID in your XF86Config-4. I messed around a lot with this, and no matter what I did, change bios, change device ids, it didn't matter. The 9700 performed like a pro card and the drivers were quicker and more stable than Win 2K Fire GL drivers to boot.

I was using Houdini which is extremely picky about what hardware you throw at it. Houdini requires pro OGL extensions for every little thing including icons in the interface. It ran brilliantly on the 9700 in Linux. I don't use the card anymore though because the drivers gave me BSoDs left and right in Win 2K. In Linux though it's a champ. You should give it a try. This was with the Drivers released around Dec 11th , BTW, don't remember which version number.

hotbuffalosauce
03-15-2003, 12:45 AM
i run an x1 128 which is the same core processor as the 9700. i just updated to the 1032 drivers and it runs like a dream. smoothvision II is a beaut with this card in maya.
I ran the 9700 pro for about 2 days right when it came out thinking that a patch of the likes those russians at overclockers.ru produced. I felt duped after owning a geforce2 gts and then upgrading to a quadro 2 pro a month later.. it was the same darn card.

but the 9700 was very buggy when running it on catalist drivers when it was first released.

if you are a freelancer like me and your time is worth money. i wouldnt stoop any lower than a 8800 or quadro4 for production based work. if you have a crash and you didnt save your work after 3 hours.. that 3 hours could have cost you 300+ dollars.. more if you work for a big company where your hours are billed at 900+ for studio based stuff.

but then again most who frequent cg boards are pirating high school nerds who have seen the matrix too many times..

elvis
03-16-2003, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by hotbuffalosauce
but then again most who frequent cg boards are pirating high school nerds who have seen the matrix too many times.. how to make friends and influence people. :p

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.