PDA

View Full Version : how to animate fat rolls on a character? (3dmax)

Piotrek255
05-08-2007, 10:47 PM
i have a really fat character, and when he moves, or jumps, i want the fat rolls to move in a way real fat rolls would move, is there some other way to do it other than keyframing every fat roll position? maybe something with rigid bodies... i dunno.

also, when he's trying to grab something, the fat on the belly would have to deform in a natural way from the arm pressure, and i dont know how to this kind of thing.

please give me a hand on this one, i really appreciate it.

thanks

jeb
05-09-2007, 09:49 AM
i guess the mostbasic solution would be the flex modifier.. it actually is more powerfull than the average use people give to it.. you can even fake wind movment with it..

so i say before you jump to reactor rigid boddies or something complex like that, try puttin on top of your character's skin modifier a mesh select modifier. with soft selection on then select the required verts and having that selected add a flex modifier..

now read the help files and check that you can bind that flec modifier to forces like wind and gravity and also to deflectors.. so the mesh that will have contact with the fat flesh can be used ad Udeflectors and they will push the verts of the model.

well it does work but it isnt the most accurate in extreme cases it doesnt detect self intersections and stuff like that. also read well about the solvers it uses and wich is the most useful to you and ALSO read about the samples it needs to calculate acurate..

one tip i can give you is that when you have it working and tested you right click on the modifier label and turn it off in viewport so you can animate smooth.. when oyu have high samples on the flex modifier the response on the viewports can be laggy. BUT if you still want to see some of the effect on viewport then oyu can do a copy of the modifier adn lower the samples so it runs in viewport, but that new modifier has to be turnde off in render so it doesnt caltulate the forces twice.

hope it helps..

oh and i have no idea how to achieve this effect in reactor. sorry

CGTalk Moderation
05-09-2007, 09:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.